Portobello by Ruth Rendell

Portobello (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Ruth Rendell

Member:ElizaJane
Title:Portobello
Authors:Ruth Rendell
Info:Doubleday Canada (2008), Hardcover, 288 pages
Tags:mystery, british author, arc, randomhouse

Portobello by Ruth Rendell (2008)

Recently added bykbu2, BookAddictUK, RCW, private library, ahef1963, caledonbooks, JalenV, Mike_Herrick, Starwriter1109

English (35)  Dutch (4)  All languages (39)
I thought that I would be reading a crime fiction. At 32 pages, I have only seen intricate character descriptions. This marks the first time that I have considered the negative side of the word intricate. I chose that adjective because it was on the dust cover, and I cannot be bothered to think any more about this work. ( )
  bsiemens | Apr 6, 2015 |
The English market on Portobello Road is the focal point for the interwoven lives that make up this novel. Eugene Wren is very secretive. So secretive he (secretly) wonders whether he should propose to his doctor girlfriend, Ella. Eugene is afraid she will discover his growing addiction to a certain flavor of sugar-free sweet.

The plot escalates when Eugene finds an envelope containing quite a bit of money and puts an advert in the paper to try to find the owner. Lance, a pathetic young man with delusions of criminality, seizes the opportunity to case Eugene's home for later robbery. Meanwhile Ella delivers the money to its proper owner, Joel, who has recently had a near death experience and has begun to see things and hear voices.

I found this novel charming. The writing and story-telling is truly on point at all times. I immediately loved the characters (or loved to hate them) and was fascinated by their bizarre inner lives. Funny, odd, sometimes creepy, but ultimately satisfying. ( )
  Juva | Apr 5, 2015 |
There's no mystery about the murder, but Portobello is a novel full of interesting characters whose lives intersect. Not everyone will get a happy ending, but enough of them do. ( )
  JalenV | Mar 11, 2015 |
I'm a huge fan of Ms. Rendell and hate writing anything critical of her work, but I was disappointed in Portobello.

As always, I was drawn into her cast of characters, from the quirky to the disturbed. She's a master at weaving the threads of disparate lives to an inevitable conclusion. Because of her brilliant characters that popped off the page and planted themselves in my mind, I gave this book three stars. I enjoyed the ride.

However, the ending was weak and left me unsatisfied. One story line that had lured me in with hints of a dark outcome fell flat without anything happening. The other threads were too tidy in their conclusions and all conflicts were resolved too quickly. The sense of "happily ever after" made this novel veer toward a fairy tale.

If you've never read one of her novels, don't start here, but definitely give the rest of her work a try. You won't be disappointed. ( )
  CathrynGrant | Nov 20, 2014 |
I was fine with apparent strangers being connected to each other until the doctor's patient turns out to be the lover of the man who tried to convince the doctor's fiance that he (the patient's lover) was the owner of the money found by the fiance, even though the rightful owner was the son of a man to whom the fiance had sold a painting. There are other connections as well. The description of a secret chocorange addiction with the resulting guilt and shame was well done. Only one character seems to actually change and grow (Lance, who comes to realize that he can't trust everyone), the lives of the others follow their natural course. SPOILER: The book has no loose ends and justice seems to be done. ( )
  raizel | Nov 6, 2014 |
sfeervol met suspenseAlweer een geweldig boek van Ruth Rendell, naast een prachtig beeld van de Londense wijk Portobello heeft ze een geweldig portret geschreven van een aantal mensen wier levens verstrikt raken.Het is nauwelijks een misdaadroman, al komen er wel moorden in voor. Het zijn vooral prachtige beschrijving van eenzame, obsessieve mensen in het moderne Londen. Bovendien weet ze weer alle touwtje op een geweldige manier aan elkaar te knopen zodat je wil blijven doorlezen.
added by Petry | editAquabrowser

Ruth Rendellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chee, LiaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kauck, Jeffcover gate photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morando, Fredericocover background photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moscowitz, OrliExecutive producersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Musselman, DanExecutive producersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stark, JanetProducer & directorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Doreen and Lee Massey with love
It is called the Portobello Road because a very long time ago a sea captain called Robert Jenkins stood in front of a committee of the House of Commons and held up his amputated ear.

Walking to the shops one day in London's Notting Hill, fifty-year-old Eugene Wren discovers an envelope on the street bulging with cash. A man plagued by a shameful addiction, Wren hatches a plan to find the money's rightful owner. Instead of going to the police, or taking the cash for himself, he prints a notice and posts it around Portobello Road. This ill-conceived act creates a chain of events that links Wren to other Londoners--people afflicted with their own obsessions and despairs. As these volatile characters come into Wren's life--and the life of his trusting fiancée--the consequences will change them all.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Portobello by Ruth Rendell was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,149,293 books! | Top bar: Always visible