Eté by Mons Kallentoft

Eté (original 2008; edition 2012)

by Mons Kallentoft, Max Stadler (Traduction), Lucile Clauss (Traduction)

Authors:Mons Kallentoft
Other authors:Max Stadler (Traduction), Lucile Clauss (Traduction)
Info:Points (2012), Broché, 445 pages
Collections:Lectures 2013 - Livres

Summertime Death by Mons Kallentoft (2008)

Autumn Killing by Mons Kallentoft (Sile)
    Sile: Part of the Malin Fors detective series.
    Midwinter Sacrifice by Mons Kallentoft (Sile)
    Sile: The first book in the Malin Fors series.

English (7)  Swedish (2)  German (1)  All languages (10)
In the UK this is known as "Midsummer Death". On the cover it compared this to Nesbo and Larsson. I think Mankell is a much closer reference point with the team of detectives in a smallish town in rural Sweden but that is where the comparison stops. Whilst the police procedural elements were quite interesting, I did not like either the plot or the characters and I was really interested from the constant interjections of the victims/angels. I shall not be seeking out any more of his books. ( )
  johnwbeha | Nov 18, 2015 |
A great read. Male author, female pov seems to me to me to work mostly (in one or two places it was awkward). And the book is near the top of the crime fiction I've read. This is quality lit. as well as great thriller writing, invoking a sense of environment without resorting to the travel catalogue-style cliches of more mundane thriller writing (when it bothers to do that at all). It's so strongly done that I'm not going to read the author's winter novel until January. And that care in presenting the context of the events makes the turn of the novel from procedural to to personal drama quite believable (even if you have a suspicion that it's what's going to happen from about 1/3 through). Acknowledgements to the translator, too. Characters are given depth, though the existential-dilemma dimension is a little overdrawn in some places. But it's great stuff and does the proper thriller thing too, racking up the tension to a conclusion redolent of a horror novel. Don't bother reading the epilogue, it's so obvious it can only have been written for the publisher. ( )
  Mijk | Aug 15, 2013 |
Disclosure: I received a review copy from the publisher via Edelweiss

The scene is an incredibly hot summer in the relatively small city of Linköping, and Malin Fors is called to investigate the rape of a teenage girl close to her own daughter’s age. She is found in a park without a memory of what happened to her. The investigation then turns to murder when another teenage girl’s body is found near a lake in town.

The investigation itself is slow: it’s slowed by the hot weather, it’s slowed by several dead ends, and it feels slow because Kallentoft spends time with everyone in the investigative team. Malin, the main character, is a divorced woman who is obsessed with her work, has an alcohol problem, and struggles with communicating with her teenage daughter and her ex-husband of ten years for whom she still has feelings: she has a lot of issues to deal with while dealing with a gruesome set of crimes.

While the book has many pages and spends time with a large number of characters, and deals with a very convoluted investigation in the majority of the book, the last section of the book proceeds very briskly (if a bit obviously) and graphically. I prefer a little less gruesomeness in my crime novels, or maybe it’s just that I prefer the suggestion of evil instead of lots of passages in the minds of the killer, as this book has. I think that’s a fair request: I’d rather know as much as my main character investigating the crime knows about the perpetrator’s motives instead of having more information about motive than that.

Though I’m new to this series, I think this book is a fine introduction to the series that doesn’t leave a newbie at sea at all. I’m interested in continuing because I’m interested in the character of Malin, but I’d prefer a novel in the series that doesn’t have over 400 pages.
  rkreish | May 28, 2013 |
After being underwhelmed by the first book in this series I wasn’t exactly excited to read this successor. However as I’d bought it on special before reading the first I figured I’d at least have a go.

It is the second of what I assume is (or will be) four seasonal outings and takes place in a sweltering Swedish summer in Linköping. I know it’s not what most people first think of when imagining Scandinavian crime but Kallentoft has nailed the setting element of this novel. Long, oppressively hot summers is a subject I know a little something about and I thought the depiction was pitch-perfect. That kind of heat does take on an almost physical presence as though having actual weight, people do talk about it constantly and everyone has their idiosyncratic strategies for dealing with it. When bushfires are added to the mix, as happens here, they do cast a psychological as well as physical haze over the population as described in SUMMERTIME DEATH.

For me though the rest of the book is less successful.

Most of the town’s police are on holidays when Malin Fors is called to a strange crime scene. A naked teenage girl has been found in a local park. She is catatonic. A physical examination reveals the girl has been abused but even when she speaks again the she remembers nothing about what led up to her being found in that state. At first she, and her parents, are relieved at this but when another girl goes missing there is pressure on her to remember something that might help the missing person investigation. If I were being catty I’d say a couple of basic procedural steps at this point would have helped more than forcing the living victim into a hypnotherapy session. Good thing I’m not in a catty mood

The story meanders needlessly and wordily and is subject to more silliness and awkward plot devices than my willingness to suspend disbelief allows. There are too many forgotten tasks that no real police would actually neglect to do, too much random guesswork about potential suspects (most of which are based on some pretty spurious stereotypes) and the ending in particular is the result of a series of actions that I simply didn’t believe (though it’s impossible to discuss why without giving away too much of the plot). The fact that the entire thing is overseen by a pair of chatty ghosts is an additional negative for me, though if the amount of novels in all genres with this theme is anything to judge by it seems I am in a minority of readers not enticed by the current obsession with things paranormal.

Malin is really the only character to be well fleshed out and it is a decent characterisation though it would, in my opinion, have benefited from some tighter editing and less repetition. Every little while Malin is either drooling over the idea of a glass of tequila, obsessing about her absent parents’ dead pot plants or wondering what went wrong with her marriage. These details help build up a picture of Malin which contrasts with her more public image as a woman in control of things and so are valuable but I’m not convinced they need to be repeated quite so often.

The combination of lots of little niggling annoyances and a growing paranormal element will, I think, mean I’ll read no more of this series. It’s not so much that it’s terrible, merely that I can think of dozens of new authors I haven’t tried yet and old favourites whose work I am behind on so I don’t really need another ‘OK’ author in my reading list. I did enjoy the narration of the audio book by Jane Collingwood (I so adore having the Swedish names pronounced properly for me) but ghosts with breathy teenage girl voices are even more annoying than ghosts in italics.
  bsquaredinoz | Mar 31, 2013 |
Summer Death
Mons Kallentoft

My " in a nutshell" summary...

A long hot summer...young girls are disappearing and turning up mostly very dead.

My thoughts after reading this book...

Oh...it is so hot during this Swedish summer...the police are exhausted and crimes are being committed...young girls are disappearing and either turning up dead or stunned or both. One is found naked in a park...bleached clean...another is found buried, dead, wrapped in clear plastic...violated yet not actually raped. Malin appears to be the main detective on the case and she has major issues...one of them just might be drinking.

What I loved about this book...

I both loved and was saddened by the way one of the dead girls spoke to us in the book. Her questions, her fears and the way she really didn't understand what had happened to her...all were extremely touching. I loved the way the long hot summer just added to the suspense of these crimes. I thought that everything was revealed perfectly...I was on edge throughout most of the book...there were no slow moments for me. The mind of the killer was perfectly weird and dysfunctional.

What I did not love...

I wish I would have read the first book in this series before I read this one. It isn't really necessary but I didn't quite get all the relationships and personalities.

Final thoughts...

I found this to be a really awesome mystery. Unique, fast paced and quite disturbing are all words I would use to describe this book. ( )
  PattyLouise | Mar 8, 2013 |
Till min mamma.
Och till Karolina, Karla och Nick.
Jag ska inte döda dig, min sommarängel.

Krimi. Midt i den hedeste sommer går en morder i Linköping efter unge piger, og Malin Fors og Zeke står længe helt uden spor. De klorvaskede, myrdede piger har deres egne stemmer og når til det sidste at advare Malins datter Tove

As the temperature in Sweden reaches a record-breaking 45 degrees, forest fires break out. However, when a teenage girl is discovered naked and bleeding in the local park, it is clear that the raging heat is not the only plague affecting the town. Then a second girl is found dead. Alarmed by the fact that the victims are the same age as her daughter, detective Malin Fors must work round the clock to capture the perpetrator. But as every lead comes to nothing, it is as if the opressive heat is clogging up the wheels of her investigation.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,963,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible