Eté by Mons Kallentoft

Eté (original 2008; edition 2012)

by Mons Kallentoft, Max Stadler (Traduction), Lucile Clauss (Traduction)

1911261,769 (3.37)4
Member:cedmic
Title:Eté
Authors:Mons Kallentoft
Other authors:Max Stadler (Traduction), Lucile Clauss (Traduction)
Info:Points (2012), Broché, 445 pages
Collections:Lectures 2013 - Livres

Summertime Death by Mons Kallentoft (2008)

Autumn Killing by Mons Kallentoft (Sile)
    Sile: Part of the Malin Fors detective series.
    Midwinter Sacrifice by Mons Kallentoft (Sile)
    Sile: The first book in the Malin Fors series.

English (9)  Swedish (2)  German (1)  All languages (12)
interesting plot, but the flow of the story is rather hard to follow, not sure if it's from the swedish-to-english translation, or just the way the author wrote it...very hard book to get all the way through. ( )
  petrichor8 | Jun 6, 2016 |
Yep. Good thriller. I'm invested enough to read the sequels. ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
In the UK this is known as "Midsummer Death". On the cover it compared this to Nesbo and Larsson. I think Mankell is a much closer reference point with the team of detectives in a smallish town in rural Sweden but that is where the comparison stops. Whilst the police procedural elements were quite interesting, I did not like either the plot or the characters and I was really interested from the constant interjections of the victims/angels. I shall not be seeking out any more of his books. ( )
  johnwbeha | Nov 18, 2015 |
A great read. Male author, female pov seems to me to me to work mostly (in one or two places it was awkward). And the book is near the top of the crime fiction I've read. This is quality lit. as well as great thriller writing, invoking a sense of environment without resorting to the travel catalogue-style cliches of more mundane thriller writing (when it bothers to do that at all). It's so strongly done that I'm not going to read the author's winter novel until January. And that care in presenting the context of the events makes the turn of the novel from procedural to to personal drama quite believable (even if you have a suspicion that it's what's going to happen from about 1/3 through). Acknowledgements to the translator, too. Characters are given depth, though the existential-dilemma dimension is a little overdrawn in some places. But it's great stuff and does the proper thriller thing too, racking up the tension to a conclusion redolent of a horror novel. Don't bother reading the epilogue, it's so obvious it can only have been written for the publisher. ( )
  Mijk | Aug 15, 2013 |
Disclosure: I received a review copy from the publisher via Edelweiss

The scene is an incredibly hot summer in the relatively small city of Linköping, and Malin Fors is called to investigate the rape of a teenage girl close to her own daughter’s age. She is found in a park without a memory of what happened to her. The investigation then turns to murder when another teenage girl’s body is found near a lake in town.

The investigation itself is slow: it’s slowed by the hot weather, it’s slowed by several dead ends, and it feels slow because Kallentoft spends time with everyone in the investigative team. Malin, the main character, is a divorced woman who is obsessed with her work, has an alcohol problem, and struggles with communicating with her teenage daughter and her ex-husband of ten years for whom she still has feelings: she has a lot of issues to deal with while dealing with a gruesome set of crimes.

While the book has many pages and spends time with a large number of characters, and deals with a very convoluted investigation in the majority of the book, the last section of the book proceeds very briskly (if a bit obviously) and graphically. I prefer a little less gruesomeness in my crime novels, or maybe it’s just that I prefer the suggestion of evil instead of lots of passages in the minds of the killer, as this book has. I think that’s a fair request: I’d rather know as much as my main character investigating the crime knows about the perpetrator’s motives instead of having more information about motive than that.

Though I’m new to this series, I think this book is a fine introduction to the series that doesn’t leave a newbie at sea at all. I’m interested in continuing because I’m interested in the character of Malin, but I’d prefer a novel in the series that doesn’t have over 400 pages.
  rkreish | May 28, 2013 |
Till min mamma.
Och till Karolina, Karla och Nick.
Jag ska inte döda dig, min sommarängel.

Krimi. Midt i den hedeste sommer går en morder i Linköping efter unge piger, og Malin Fors og Zeke står længe helt uden spor. De klorvaskede, myrdede piger har deres egne stemmer og når til det sidste at advare Malins datter Tove

As the temperature in Sweden reaches a record-breaking 45 degrees, forest fires break out. However, when a teenage girl is discovered naked and bleeding in the local park, it is clear that the raging heat is not the only plague affecting the town. Then a second girl is found dead. Alarmed by the fact that the victims are the same age as her daughter, detective Malin Fors must work round the clock to capture the perpetrator. But as every lead comes to nothing, it is as if the opressive heat is clogging up the wheels of her investigation.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,845,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible