Wild Raspberries by Jane Davitt

Wild Raspberries (2008)

by Jane Davitt

2008 (1) 2010 (2) abuse (2) army (1) blue (1) contemporary (4) disability (1) drama (2) ebook (8) edit (1) erotica (1) first love (1) gay (5) glbt (2) Kindle (2) m-m-romance (2) m/m (8) military (2) own (2) print (1) romance (10) runaway (2) small town (1) spy (1) to-read (4) Torquere Press (2) trauma (2) unread (1) W (1) warrior (1)

This was a nice read. Pretty much a story of opposites attract. A little angst, but not much. I wish it would of ended differently, but other than that, I really enjoyed it. ( )
  pfodge | Oct 17, 2013 |
I enjoyed this book. There were times when I just wanted to slap both of them in the head, and I certainly can understand Dan's frustration. But that tension improved the story for me.

The only thing that I did not care about is how it ended; it seemed very abrupt and I did not feel that it was a full resolution.

But, overall, I really enjoyed the book. ( )
  Bea_writer | Sep 21, 2013 |
The Problem with Rushing the Sex

There is a growing tendency amongst ebook erotica publishers to want, if not demand, that there be a sex scene within the first three chapters. Apparently sex sells and (some?) readers are impatient if they have to wait too long for it.

Re-reading one of my favourite m/m romances, Jane Davitt’s “Wild Raspberries” proves how wrong that concept can be.

While the couple have a few brief sexual encounters about halfway through the book, these and the rest of the plot only heighten the tension so when the full-on main event finally does occur, it becomes so much stronger for the reader and the participants themelves.

To quote Tyler: “He loved doing this. Loved feeling the self-imposed frustration build, deepening the intensity of his arousal...”

Similarly, Jane’s lead up to this act, deepens the intensity of the encounter. I’ve read a lot of m/m books in my time, but the next ten or so pages have to be the best written sex scene I’ve found so far. There is just the right amount of physical description to allow you to picture the moment, but also you’re right there in Tyler’s head, feeling everything he feels. Every reaction he has to Dan leads on logically from what has come before.

Recently, I participated in one of Linnea Sinclair’s online classes on how to write kick-butt action. Amongst the many helpful hints she gave was to use prequels and sequels (scenes not stories) to provide the reader with all the facts they need to prevent these details slowing the pacing down when the shit starts hitting the fan.

In many ways, this is what also has to happen to really make a sex scene mean more than slot A into slot B in a step-by-step description.

If we know why Tyler is holding back, if we can picture Dan’s eagerness, if we are familiar with the house and the setting, we only need to glimpse these briefly in the sex scene to pad it out mentally.

Similarly, we don’t need the full on emotional reaction within the scene, these can come afterwards in the “sequential” scene.

Finally, within the scene, there has to be good balance between the reactions to what is happening and the actions themselves. To sum up, the actual sex scene needs to follow the rules of writing action, full speed ahead, then a pause for a second before continuing. In Jane’s case, before resuming the action, she inserts some more description of the setting, then ratchets the action up a notch to an even more scorching level.

It’s not just mundane description either but more the way the character reacts to the setting rather than just describing the scene: “The room was lit only by moonlight and the glow of the forgotten lamp still burning in the main room, and Tyler decided to keep it that way. There was enough light for him to see what he was doing and enough darkness for Dan to feel less on display.”

Hardly prize winning writing, but just the correct weight of words and context to suit the purpose. Breaking the action with description, mirrors the momentary downturn in intensity as they relocate to the bedroom.

Writing good sex scenes is akin to writing good action scenes. The same rules apply.

Recently, I’ve been reviewing my m/m collection, sorting out which ones have stood the test of time and a re-read. “Wild Raspberries and its must-read-as-well sequel “Wintergreen” together make a great story. But they will always stay near the top of my re-read pile purely because of the way Jane has written this great sex scene.

Perfect.

I'd blogged an interview with Jane a while back. This can be read here: http://www.abgayle.com/1/post/2011/09/delving-into-the-mind-of-jane-davitt.html

Okay. I admit to being a fan. But with good reason. As an author, I've learnt a lot from her writing. As a reader, I'm always interested in what she's going to come up with next. Her books are definitely not just variations of the same premise or writing style. Compare these ones with "Hourglass" and "Spoken from the Heart". Each has that little touch of difference that will make her writing last when many other, more popular writers fade from memory. ( )
  AB_Gayle | Mar 31, 2013 |
I was getting tired of downloading books that I finished in half an hour, so I checked the print version, and it's 208 pages; that already is a plus. And it was $2.12, so it felt like a no risk. This bok is defintiely a cut above many of the other m/m romances out there, the writing was so much better it took it to another level. I liked the characters, reticient Tyler and young (but not too young!) Dan, both of them, in their own way, running away from intolerable situations. They felt true to themselves and I enjoyed their interactions. Yes, Dan was vulnerable, but so was Tyler, and in the end they made each other stronger. And it had one of the most romantic last lines I've read in a long time, which I won't spoil here, but it's worth getting to. I rate this a keeper and will reread it. ( )
  amf0001 | Jul 23, 2010 |
Ya know how some books get two people together and sequester them away somewhere, like a cabin or a deserted island, and then have one of them dealing with a profoundly dramatic past? Many books have that premise, few actually have the drama to back it up. This one does. The characters are not sterotypical, these guys never do what you think they will, and the secrets they are reluctant to share are life-altering events.
  krysteria | Dec 1, 2008 |
To Amy, for her unfailing support and encouragement.
The woods were a wild green maze around him, and Dan was lost, panic long since muted to a dull despair.

From Torquere Press:When Daniel Seaton inadvertently trespasses on Tyler Edward's land, things almost go very, very wrong. It's bad enough that Dan's a runaway, but when Tyler nearly shoots him on sight, Dan knows he's in trouble. Tyler's got a lot of years under his belt, and his past doesn't let him accept strangers easily. Dan's situation is dire enough that Tyler takes him home, at least for a little while, and that turns out to be a good decision when Dan decides to stay on and help out with the chores. Tyler might be learning to trust, and Dan might be settling in to a new life, but things are not always what they seem. Between interfering friends, injuries, and their attraction to each other, Tyler and Dan have plenty of troubles. More trouble turns up in the form of Tyler's past, which catches up to them with a vengeance, and they decide to start a new life together, one that requires them to leave everything behind. Can they overcome what lies in the past to have a future with each other?

A runaway finds a friend--and more--after he trespasses on Tyler Edwards' land. Can the two men overcome what lies in the past to have a future with each other?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,432,305 books! | Top bar: Always visible