Got You Back by Jane Fallon

Got You Back

by Jane Fallon

So all of Jane Fallon's books are fantastic OBVIOUSLY. I hadn't re-read this one in years, mainly because I couldn't find a copy on audiobook and that's how I prefer to enjoy these titles. But hurrah! It popped up on Audible and I got to re-read it, and it had been so long since I read it that it felt like the first time. What I remembered about this one is that wife Stephanie find out her husband James has been secretly living a double life in the country with innocent Katie, who doesn't know about his double-dealing. In true Fallon fashion, Stephanie and Katie don't confront James but rather team up to humiliate and ruin him, "John Tucker Must Die" style. It begins with Stephanie adamant they must get revenge and Katie hesitant, then of course the roles reverse with Katie taking things too far and Stephanie wanting to stop it, but Katie is a monster she's created etc. etc.

The ending felt rushed like... it just... stopped? And I think Fallon explores these same themes in other works. But for the cozy hygge feeling of spending time with my favourite author, this is a great pick. ( )
  annhepburn | Mar 4, 2018 |
James spends half his week up in Lincoln, in the country, with his mistress, Katie, and the other half in London with his wife, Stephanie, and son, Finn. He thinks he lives a great life and relishes in the fact that neither woman knows about the other. He lives the ultimate double life. That all changes one day when Stephanie finds a mysterious text on James phone from "K". When both women find out about each other they decide the best course of action is to get even.

The book wasn't what I was expecting. I was expecting it to be funny instead it was just mildly amusing with poor characterisation and story. The plot sounded interesting - husband leads double life and both his wife and mistress find out and decide to extract revenge. It wasn't executed very well, though. I think more emphasis should have been put on his double life instead of drawing out the fact he didn't live full time with his family in London.

The more I delved into this book the more it annoyed and disappointed me. The characters were either boring or verging on psychotic. I couldn't connect with any of them. James was spineless and always willing to impress but he lacked personality. Katie was a push over until she became so wrapped up in the revenge that she became twisted, almost psychotic. Stephanie was a bit strange she wanted to punish her husband but constantly felt bad about it. Her love interest, Michael, couldn't have been more dull even if he tried.

The revenge ranged from gentle like buying the same clothes and Katie changing her appearance to resemble Stephanie to more sinister plots like being reported for tax evasion and planning permission on the extension built on to his surgery. Even when James was close to losing everything in his life, Katie just thought of more ways to punish him further. It would have been nice to have seen the revenge plan to foil out but it didn't happen. The night before it was all supposed to happen, his 40th birthday that he was having twice, he had a change of heart and confessed all to Stephanie.

The book was really just light and a bit of fluff. The ending, thankfully, wasn't all gushy and happily ever after but then again it didn't feel finished - it just stopped. ( )
  Chicalicious | Jun 3, 2015 |
Went through a few gear changes with this book. About a third in I couldn't put it down. Toward the end with about a chapter to go I found the character changes so unbelievable I was thinking of giving up. Unsatisfactory ending?
And I wasn't sad...even very relieved to close the book on all of them...except Katie ...who well to say more would spoil it for follow on readers.
It's taken me quite a long time to read for the volume. But I'm glad to of met ?Mrs ? Ricky Gervais and would read her again..( in fact already mooched!) :) ( )
  RuthieD | Oct 2, 2013 |
I really enjoyed reading this book about the revenge that women can get when there partners cheat. It had a very good story line and I did not get lost in the story line. I would love to read some more of Jane's books when I have a chance. Awesome read. ( )
  askum | Aug 28, 2012 |
I have to say that I wouldn't particularly call this book substantial. It's actually quite a light read, with a plot that moves along nicely. Other than that, I didn't really enjoy this book. I didn't care about the characters or think the writing was that good. ( )
  lizpatanders | Apr 4, 2011 |
Stephanie closed her eyes and held out her hands, her son's almost uncontrollable excitement rubbing off on her and making her feel like a child again herself.

James finds himself leading a double life, with a wife in London, and a mistress in the country. But if he thinks his life is exhausting, it becomes a lot hotter when the two women find out about each other's existence. They must decide what to do. They could just throw him out, or they could join forces to make his life hell first. But revenge isn't always sweet. And what happens when one woman thinks enough is enough but the other doesn't know when to stop?… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,230,630 books! | Top bar: Always visible