The Power of Place: Geography, Destiny, and…

by Harm de Blij

Member:chrisanderson
Title:The Power of Place: Geography, Destiny, and Globalization's Rough Landscape
Authors:Harm de Blij
Info:Oxford University Press, USA (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:pb, 2013, geography, nonfiction

The Power of Place: Geography, Destiny, and Globalization's Rough Landscape by Harm J. De Blij

This book was interesting in a boring way. ( )
  tsubasa7th | Aug 27, 2011 |
Thomas Friedman may have sweepingly said, "the world is flat" to capture the changes that have occurred in the way we live in the 21st century, but De Blij reveals how that is the narrow perspective of those privileged few who live in the "global core". For everyone else (the majority of the world's population) the power of place -- geography/place of birth -- continues to hold billions of people in an unrelenting grasp. ( )
1 vote Lillian3 | Oct 4, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0195367707, Hardcover)

The world is not as mobile or as interconnected as we like to think. As Harm de Blij argues in The Power of Place, in crucial ways--from the uneven distribution of natural resources to the unequal availability of opportunity--geography continues to hold billions of people in its grip. We are all born into natural and cultural environments that shape what we become, individually and collectively. From our "mother tongue" to our father's faith, from medical risks to natural hazards, where we start our journey has much to do with our destiny. Hundreds of millions of farmers in the river basins of Asia and Africa, and tens of millions of shepherds in isolated mountain valleys from the Andes to Kashmir, all live their lives much as their distant ancestors did, remote from the forces of globalization. Incorporating a series of persuasive maps, De Blij describes the tremendously varied environments across the planet and shows how migrations between them are comparatively rare. De Blij also looks at the ways we are redefining place so as to make its power even more potent than it has been, with troubling implications.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:02 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,468,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible