Murder in the Marais by Cara Black

Murder in the Marais (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Cara Black

Member:christiguc
Title:Murder in the Marais
Authors:Cara Black
Info:New York: Soho Press, 2000.
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:fiction, female author, american, france, paris, marais, mystery, private investigator, female detective, aimee leduc, war, wwii, jewish, racism, series-1st, soho crime, soho press, bookshelf34

Murder in the Marais by Cara Black (1999)

English (25)  Spanish (1)  All languages (26)
This was an assigned February reading for a Mystery Readers group I just joined. The fast-paced plot kept me reading to the end, but the implausibilities are a bit too much, and the character development is shallow. Bringing in WWII, the Holocaust, and French collaborators, then throwing into the mix neo-Nazis and the emerging French anti-immigrant sentiment, it all seems to be thrown in haphazardly in an effort to propel the action. ( )
  ucla70 | Feb 14, 2014 |
This book is the first novel in a series about Aimee Leduc a French private investigator who takes over her father's agency after he's killed in a terrorist attack. For the most part she is a computer investigator, but when asked by Jewish survivor of the Holocaust she agrees to look into look into a “decoding job” on behalf of a woman in his synagogue (in the Paris neighborhood of the Marais—the historic Jewish quarter). When Aimee drops off her findings, she finds the old woman strangled, a swastika carved on her forehead. With the help of her partner, René, Aimée sets out to solve this crime—and soon finds herself immersed in WWII deportation of Jews, French collaborators, and neo-Nazis. The book is a run of the mill mystery—nothing too surprising. You would think in the first of the series it would give a little more background on the main characters—but I have very little knowledge of Aimee or her partner Rene. The author does give a nice overview of Paris—particularly of the Marais neighborhood—which I did enjoy. I am not sure this is a series that I will stick with. A 2 out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | Jan 15, 2014 |
Cara Black is guaranteed to satisfy any nostalgia you may have for Paris. Main character Aimee Leduc is usually fun to follow as she solves quite complex murders. This time there is a more serious undertone as the SS deportation of French Jews in the Second World War is the basis of the plot. As a result, this is a more serious, sombre novel as it explores horrifying events and their ongoing consequences for modern France . Nevertheless, Aimee flaunts many a French icon on her body - Hermes scarves etc, and her travels take her around every location in Pars you may recall. ( )
  annejacinta | Oct 27, 2013 |
Sadly disappointing. I had heard that this was an atmospheric detective novel set in one of my (everyone’s?) favourite cities, and had hopes for it. But it’s an action genre novel with characters of little depth who exist primarily to push the plot from one improbable point to another. It’s set in the Marais, and refers to many sites and buildings that are fond recollections, but they are used as little more than flat background. They don’t add atmosphere, just setting. The neo-Nazi plot could have been intriguing, but again it’s just a plot device in which some bad guys play, and is no more illuminating than the crime scenes in a gangster novel. There’s no emotional involvement in the characters because they are too limited, and even the attempts to give them a back-story don’t go anywhere. The final confrontation is so absurd, with literally a Deus ex machina resolution, that I had to wonder if the author was having a sly chuckle with us about the conventions of the made-for-tv novel. But I think not – it’s more like the hopeful scenario for a series that the author wants to sell to a movie or television production company. Perhaps I was expecting too much – this isn’t Victor Hugo, although it is set in his city (and home) – but I’m not drawn to try her other novels. ( )
  rab1953 | Oct 11, 2013 |
I liked this book, but I didn't love it. I love the locations and the mystery was fairly interesting. I'm not so crazy about Aimee Leduc, although I have no specific reason why. Perhaps too young for me to appreciate? I'm not sure. ( )
  bcrowl399 | Sep 20, 2013 |
Fate knows no distance -- a French saying
Aimée Leduc felt his presence before she saw him.

Sleuth and computer expert Aimée Leduc, a Franco-American, hunts for neo-Nazis in Paris following the murder of a Jewish woman. As part of her investigation she becomes involved with an Aryan supremacist. First in a projected series.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,569,742 books! | Top bar: Always visible