Murder in the Marais by Cara Black

Murder in the Marais (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Cara Black

Title:Murder in the Marais
Authors:Cara Black
Info:New York: Soho Press, 2000.
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:fiction, female author, american, france, paris, marais, mystery, private investigator, female detective, aimee leduc, war, wwii, jewish, racism, series-1st, soho crime, soho press, bookshelf34

Murder in the Marais by Cara Black (1999)

Recently added byJanetReid, eden1013, private library, valdawn, janebr, rwiringa, Bellettres, wm3395, UPMarta, TomMcGreevy

English (45)  Spanish (1)  All languages (46)
Flat characters and unbelievable coincidences marred this mystery. I much preferred Sarah's Key (Tatiana de Rosnay) which deals with some of the same events. ( )
  Bellettres | Sep 20, 2016 |
At its best, a good alternate travel guide to the Marais. At its worst, in desperate need of a good edit. The plot over-reached but the detective's portrayal held it together mainly. ( )
  TomMcGreevy | Sep 6, 2016 |
Murder in the Marais is the first book in the Aimee Leduc series, featuring a female private investigator who normally works on the tech investigation side. Her father, the late police chief, was killed in a terrorist attack. When a woman is found dead with a swastika carved on her forehead, a Jewish rabbi asks Aimee to take on the job. With the help of her partner, Rene, Aimee sets out to solve this horrible crime, but finds herself in an increasingly dangerous web of ancient secrets and buried war crimes.

The book moves between present (1993) and occupied Paris during World War II. We learn how young Lili, the dead woman, stayed safe during the war, along with her friend, Sarah,, who was involved with a Nazi soldier. Today, the soldier is a diplomat, in Paris to take part in a treaty negotiation.

This is the first book in a series so we spend a bit of time getting to know Aimee. She's tough and I wouldn't count her out in a fist fight. She can blend in with any crowd, including neo Nazi skinheads. The story was a little difficult to follow at first but once I got further in, I thought the action was nonstop. I definitely plan to try the next book in the series. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Aug 17, 2016 |
A good story, but sometimes hard to follow. ( )
  Lschwarzman | Jul 29, 2016 |
Somehow Aimée Leduc is an archetypal French woman. Breezy, stylish, skillful, thrifty, sexy, and she has a curly haired lapdog that never needs a walk. She also has a dwarf and an apartment in an ancient unheated Parisian building. If this sounds unbelievable, it is, but as we give the French as a whole a pass on this kind of stuff, we should certainly should allow Aimée to entertain us.

Aimée is a trained detective who specializes in industrial espionage. She and her colleague, the dwarf René, are computer hackers who never ever do field work after some earlier exploits that are never fully explained but which left Aimée wounded. One day, though, an elderly Jewish gentleman arrives at Aimée's office and asks her to deliver an envelope to an elderly Jewish woman who lives in the Marais. (I never quite figured out why he could not do it himself.) Aimée thinks that while this job is outside her new operating parameters, the bank account is empty, the rent is due, and the taxman is calling, so she agrees to run this simple errand. When she arrives, the old woman is dead and then the old man is murdered. Aimée uses her prodigious skill set and an assortment of disguises (including posing as a neo-Nazi) to solve the murder. The murderer's identity is implausible and, like the hyper-successful continuation of the underground Nazi political cell "Werwolf" ("Werewolf" in English"), completely unneeded. Simplicity would have been better.

"Murder in the Marais" was published in 1998 but it is set in 1993. This date is somewhat arbitrary as Ms Black needed to find a time modern enough so Aimée could be a computer hacker but early enough that the characters in the story who were thrown together by WW2, were still young enough to be professionally active. This did not work very well, I thought, but I tend to forget how young soldiers were in WW2. Here we are told that one of the soldiers was only 18. Maybe, but it did not feel right.

All in all "Murder in the Marias" is a first book and is a little rough. But it is amusing and I enjoyed it even though I rolled my eyes a bit.

I received a review copy of "Murder in the Marais" by Cara Black (SoHo Press) through NetGalley.com. ( )
  Dokfintong | Jul 2, 2016 |
Fate knows no distance -- a French saying
Aimée Leduc felt his presence before she saw him.

Sleuth and computer expert Aimee Leduc, a Franco-American, hunts for neo-Nazis in Paris following the murder of a Jewish woman. As part of her investigation she becomes involved with an Aryan supremacist. First in a projected series.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,788,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible