Murder in the Marais by Cara Black

Murder in the Marais (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Cara Black

Member:christiguc
Title:Murder in the Marais
Authors:Cara Black
Info:New York: Soho Press, 2000.
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:fiction, female author, american, france, paris, marais, mystery, private investigator, female detective, aimee leduc, war, wwii, jewish, racism, series-1st, soho crime, soho press, bookshelf34

Murder in the Marais by Cara Black (1999)

Recently added bytygress, kristi_test_02, e-zReader, private library, cherobula, mc100, danhammang, MsSomeday, boogirl13

English (30)  Spanish (1)  All languages (31)
this takes a little time to really get going, and it's a bit overly complicated once it does, but this is a strong first novel with a lot of historical information and a great sense of place. her characters weren't all entirely fully formed or believable and she made a few mistakes in continuity or character consistencies, but those all seemed minor to me. other than those few "infractions" this was well written from the get-go and the main character is definitely one that i would pretty happily follow through a series. ( )
  elisa.saphier | Feb 18, 2015 |
I had mixed feelings about this mystery set in Paris, the first in the Aimee Leduc series. Leduc investigates computer crimes but she's asked to investigate a World War 2 era photo. There's the murder of a Jewish woman and lots of plot points with ties to Nazi Germany. It's right in my wheelhouse and I should've loved it.

In the end, I liked it but the first two thirds of the book were extremely slow, though things really picked up after that. Far too many plot points. Far too many undeveloped characters.

And yet, in the end, it was a good story. I liked it well enough to continue with the series, at least for one more book. It's a long-running series so perhaps things really improve. ( )
2 vote lindapanzo | Feb 4, 2015 |
I found that this was over-plotted with an enormous number of characters and subplots which had odd jumps in continuity. When investigator Aimée Leduc interviews a key figure about half way through the book (Wednesday morning) I had no idea where that lead had even come from. When one of the big bad's henchman pops up towards the end I had no recollection where they had appeared previously. That is aside from some of the other absurd situations (a rooftop escape in designer high-heels) and interactions (Leduc has a few romantic liaisons with a seemingly completely inappropriate character) that the characters go through which you can somewhat forgive from an author providing entertainment.

I was plodding through this very slowly for about 2/3rds of the way until the story did finally start to take off and i did finish it quite quickly then but am not likely to try another one.
This was another reminder not to trust author blurbs, even from someone like Lee Child, whose sense of suspense I normally respect quite highly. His blurb of "One of the BEST heroines in crime fiction" sold me on this book and I feel quite betrayed by that as I had hoped this might be a new favourite series, especially with its Paris locale which is normally one of my favourites.

The plot involves private investigator Aimée Leduc and her partner René Friant getting involved with a murder that turns out to be related to French collaborators with the Nazis in WWII. Dealings with the Jewish community in the Marais area of Paris, present-day international trade negotiations with nefarious subclauses and a neo-Nazi white power group are along to complicate the situation. In the end this all actually came together but not with any satisfaction for this reader. ( )
  alanteder | Oct 5, 2014 |
Not a bad read, there were times when I enjoyed it wholeheartedly but there were times when I felt that it slowed down or was a bit scant in details I didn't really feel a connection to the characters and it felt more like an intellectual exercise than immersive mystery.

Aimee Leduc is a half-French, half-American detective working in Paris, trying hard to make ends meet and sometimes succeeding. She gets caught up in New-Nazis in Paris when she decrypts an World War II photograph and brings it to a old woman that she then finds dead, with a Swastika carved in her forehead, this leads her down paths she would rather not get involved in but her reputation and life are on the line.

Shows promise. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Oct 1, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book, although I felt that Black threw in too many characters too quickly, making it difficult to keep track of everyone. At one point, I realized that a character I pictured as a young man, was actually in his fifties. The writing is a little shaky at times, but not terrible. As a first effort, I thought is was fine. It intrigued me enough to start reading the second book in the series. She has an interesting character in Aimee Leduc, and I think that will help the series get stronger as it progresses. ( )
  Hanneri | Aug 7, 2014 |
Fate knows no distance -- a French saying
Aimée Leduc felt his presence before she saw him.

Sleuth and computer expert Aimee Leduc, a Franco-American, hunts for neo-Nazis in Paris following the murder of a Jewish woman. As part of her investigation she becomes involved with an Aryan supremacist. First in a projected series.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,854,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible