Murder in the Marais by Cara Black

Murder in the Marais (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Cara Black

Member:christiguc
Title:Murder in the Marais
Authors:Cara Black
Info:New York: Soho Press, 2000.
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:fiction, female author, american, france, paris, marais, mystery, private investigator, female detective, aimee leduc, war, wwii, jewish, racism, series-1st, soho crime, soho press, bookshelf34

Murder in the Marais by Cara Black (1999)

English (28)  Spanish (1)  All languages (29)
I found that this was over-plotted with an enormous number of characters and subplots which had odd jumps in continuity. When investigator Aimée Leduc interviews a key figure about half way through the book (Wednesday morning) I had no idea where that lead had even come from. When one of the big bad's henchman pops up towards the end I had no recollection where they had appeared previously. That is aside from some of the other absurd situations (a rooftop escape in designer high-heels) and interactions (Leduc has a few romantic liaisons with a seemingly completely inappropriate character) that the characters go through which you can somewhat forgive from an author providing entertainment.

I was plodding through this very slowly for about 2/3rds of the way until the story did finally start to take off and i did finish it quite quickly then but am not likely to try another one.
This was another reminder not to trust author blurbs, even from someone like Lee Child, whose sense of suspense I normally respect quite highly. His blurb of "One of the BEST heroines in crime fiction" sold me on this book and I feel quite betrayed by that as I had hoped this might be a new favourite series, especially with its Paris locale which is normally one of my favourites.

The plot involves private investigator Aimée Leduc and her partner René Friant getting involved with a murder that turns out to be related to French collaborators with the Nazis in WWII. Dealings with the Jewish community in the Marais area of Paris, present-day international trade negotiations with nefarious subclauses and a neo-Nazi white power group are along to complicate the situation. In the end this all actually came together but not with any satisfaction for this reader. ( )
  alanteder | Oct 5, 2014 |
Not a bad read, there were times when I enjoyed it wholeheartedly but there were times when I felt that it slowed down or was a bit scant in details I didn't really feel a connection to the characters and it felt more like an intellectual exercise than immersive mystery.

Aimee Leduc is a half-French, half-American detective working in Paris, trying hard to make ends meet and sometimes succeeding. She gets caught up in New-Nazis in Paris when she decrypts an World War II photograph and brings it to a old woman that she then finds dead, with a Swastika carved in her forehead, this leads her down paths she would rather not get involved in but her reputation and life are on the line.

Shows promise. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Oct 1, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book, although I felt that Black threw in too many characters too quickly, making it difficult to keep track of everyone. At one point, I realized that a character I pictured as a young man, was actually in his fifties. The writing is a little shaky at times, but not terrible. As a first effort, I thought is was fine. It intrigued me enough to start reading the second book in the series. She has an interesting character in Aimee Leduc, and I think that will help the series get stronger as it progresses. ( )
  Hanneri | Aug 7, 2014 |
This was an assigned February reading for a Mystery Readers group I just joined. The fast-paced plot kept me reading to the end, but the implausibilities are a bit too much, and the character development is shallow. Bringing in WWII, the Holocaust, and French collaborators, then throwing into the mix neo-Nazis and the emerging French anti-immigrant sentiment, it all seems to be thrown in haphazardly in an effort to propel the action. ( )
  ucla70 | Feb 14, 2014 |
This book is the first novel in a series about Aimee Leduc a French private investigator who takes over her father's agency after he's killed in a terrorist attack. For the most part she is a computer investigator, but when asked by Jewish survivor of the Holocaust she agrees to look into look into a “decoding job” on behalf of a woman in his synagogue (in the Paris neighborhood of the Marais—the historic Jewish quarter). When Aimee drops off her findings, she finds the old woman strangled, a swastika carved on her forehead. With the help of her partner, René, Aimée sets out to solve this crime—and soon finds herself immersed in WWII deportation of Jews, French collaborators, and neo-Nazis. The book is a run of the mill mystery—nothing too surprising. You would think in the first of the series it would give a little more background on the main characters—but I have very little knowledge of Aimee or her partner Rene. The author does give a nice overview of Paris—particularly of the Marais neighborhood—which I did enjoy. I am not sure this is a series that I will stick with. A 2 out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | Jan 15, 2014 |
Fate knows no distance -- a French saying
Aimée Leduc felt his presence before she saw him.

Sleuth and computer expert Aimee Leduc, a Franco-American, hunts for neo-Nazis in Paris following the murder of a Jewish woman. As part of her investigation she becomes involved with an Aryan supremacist. First in a projected series.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,325,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible