The Absent One by Jussi Adler-Olsen

The Absent One (2008)

by Jussi Adler-Olsen

Series: Department Q (2)

1,401925,408 (3.81)164

English (66)  Dutch (11)  German (6)  Danish (3)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Icelandic (1)  Swedish (1)  All (92)
The sadistic scenes are too much for me. I skipped them. I suggest you do as well, to save your soul. The detective is described as "deeply flawed" in the blurbs. He is more than that. His hot shot immigrant sidekick and assertive pissed off female assistant are abused but give back. No namby-pamby stuff. And then there are the perps--all pieces of work, as they used to say--with abusive family backstories and downright evil histories. Not a puzzle mystery. You know all the players early on; but a who-will-get-whacked-and-how-terribly-nasty-will-it-be mystery. ( )
  kerns222 | May 25, 2018 |
Jeg digger Assad og Carl! Spent på fortsettelsen. ( )
  henriette89 | Apr 21, 2018 |
Jeg digger Assad og Carl! Spent på fortsettelsen. ( )
  henriette89 | Apr 21, 2018 |
As a reader who has spent decades reading books by and about white men, I really did enjoy this book. It was fun reading a crime thriller set in a country other than Britain or the US. The story was interesting and presented a set of truly bad 'bad guys' with just enough of a twist that one might root for the investigator or for the least bad baddie.
However, as a woman, I found Carl rather hard to like. He's so unprofessional in his relations with his female coworkers that I lost a lot of respect for him right from the start. Certainly it is not just Danish investigators who act sexist at work, but because the reader is seeing through Carl's perspective a lot, we get to 'enjoy' his admiration of his assistant's butt and the way he treats he as if she is incompetent simply because she is female. I have only read this one book in this series, so maybe Carl is just as awful to everyone, but in this book he comes across as sexist.
I also have issues with Assad, Carl's trusty non-white companion, a sort of modern, Middle-Eastern version of Tanto, available for comic relief and to say just the right things at just the right times to land both him and Carl in deep trouble. Assad adds to the racial diversity of the story, just as the Somali no-quite-slaves and the Asian laundry girls do, but the way Assad's character was portrayed bugged me.
Last in my litany of gripes was the bit about how Carl and Assad land themselves in the grand predicament we all know by halfway through the book has to happen. Rabid fox? Deadly crossbow toys? Potentially deadly hunt? Of course our 'hero' has to land himself in the middle of it somehow. But the sudden bout of impatience, blind assumptions, and stupidity that causes Carl to be led by Assad into that hunt seem awfully contrived. Surely there could have been other, more evidence-based reasons these two men could have decided a sneaky visit to the hunt was justified.
Still, I did like this book, enough to only dock one star from its rating here. And, I might read other books by this author, if only because I still like reading foreign crime thrillers enough to forgive Carl's many shortcomings. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |
Another great story the second in the Dept.Q series. Seen the tv adaption of this so new what to expect, but even so still enjoyed the book. Morck and his unusual sidekick Assad prove an amusing combination and now with the addition of Rose even better. Ready for the next instalment . ( )
  laisyleeola | Sep 14, 2017 |

Adler-Olsen, Jussiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Huttunen, KatriinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thiess, HannesÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vries, Kor deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the three Graces and iron ladies: Anne, Lene, and Charlotte
Another shot echoed over the treetops.

In 1987 worden de verminkte lichamen van een broer en zus gevonden in een zomerhuisje in de buurt van Rørvig, in Noord-Seeland. Uit het politieonderzoek blijkt dat de dader gezocht moet worden binnen een groep van kostschoolleerlingen die uit de rijkste kringen van het land afkomstig zijn. Er is echter niet genoeg bewijs en de zaak verdwijnt in de doofpot, totdat een van de verdachten zichzelf aangeeft. Daarmee lijkt het mysterie opgelost.

Een aantal jaren later belandt het onderzoek op het bureau van brigadier Mørck, hoofd van de afdeling 'onopgeloste zaken' Q. Hij denkt dat het er per ongeluk is terechtgekomen, maar al snel blijkt dit niet het geval te zijn. Hij realiseert zich dat er iets heel erg fout is gegaan... Samen met zijn assistent Assad begint hij een onderzoek dat hen in aanraking brengt met alle lagen van de maatschappij. Van de armste mensen die op straat leven tot de machtigste mensen van het land; de klopjacht is begonnen.

Jussi Adler-Olsens Serie Q-boeken worden stuk voor stuk internationaal enthousiast ontvangen en bereiken allemaal de bestsellerstatus. Deel 1, 2 en 3 verdreven zelfs de Millennium-trilogie van Stieg Larsson van de topdrieposities in Denemarken.
In "The Keeper of Lost Causes, "Jussi Adler-Olsen introduced Detective Carl Morck, a deeply flawed, brilliant detective newly assigned to run Department Q, the home of Copenhagen's coldest cases. The result wasn't what Morck--or readers--expected, but by the opening of Adler-Olsen's shocking, fast-paced follow-up, Morck is satisfied with the notion of picking up long-cold leads. So he's naturally intrigued when a closed case lands on his desk: A brother and sister were brutally murdered two decades earlier, and one of the suspects--part of a group of privileged boarding-school students--confessed and was convicted. But once Morck reopens the files, it becomes clear that all is not what it seems. Looking into the supposedly solved case leads him to Kimmie, a woman living on the streets, stealing to survive. Kimmie has mastered evading the police, but now they aren't the only ones looking for her. Because Kimmie has secrets that certain influential individuals would kill to keep buried . . . as well as one of her own that could turn everything on its head. Every bit as pulse-pounding as the book that launched the series, "The Absent One" delivers further proof that Jussi Adler-Olsen is one of the world's premier thriller writers.

Mrck is back. He's settled into Department Q and is ready to take on another cold case. This time, it's the brutal double-murder of a brother and sister two decades earlier. One of the suspects confessed and is serving time, but it's clear to Mrck that all is not what it seems. Kimmie, a homeless woman with secrets involving certain powerful individuals, could hold the key -- if Mrck can track her down before they do.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141399988, 0718156897

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,228,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible