Yes We Can: A Biography of President Barack…

Yes We Can: A Biography of President Barack Obama

by Garen Thomas

Personal Response:

I really liked this book. It gave a lot of information, but it was presented in an interesting manner and this was a quick read.

School/Library Usage:

This could be used within a unit or display about the American presidents. ( )
  NMkimdykstra | Jul 11, 2010 |
Yes We Can! Ce slogan a electrisé les foules et le monde entier. Oui, trois mots qui redonnent de l'espoir à l'Amerique
  irckinshasadrc | Nov 5, 2009 |
For middle school and junior high. Writing style is somewhat dry, with little use of descriptive language or energy in the pacing. However, it is a solid introduction to how Barack Obama came to run for the U.S. presidency, with a focus on how his early life shaped him to be the man he is today. Examines in detail his childhood, adolescence, and early adulthood, but gives cursory treatment to his political career. One rather odd feature of the writing is that Thomas chooses to explain, in context, the definitions of some words that are quite basic, like "landfill" (which children generally learn about in elementary school), but then provides no definition or glossary for words or phrases that are pivotal to Obama and his political career, such as racial "discourse." End matter includes map of areas of the world in which Barack has lived, index, appendix of quotations, list of helpful websites, and bibliography that includes electronically accessible documents. ( )
  LeahvanBelle | Aug 16, 2008 |

In third grade, Barack Obama wrote an essay titled, “I Want to Become President”—and he is, to this day, determined to show the world that, yes, he can.

Born in the U.S.A., the son of an African father and an American mother, a boy who spent his childhood in Indonesia and Hawaii, Barack Obama is truly a citizen of the world. His campaign for the presidency is powered by a fierce optimism, an exuberant sense of purpose and determination, and, above all, a belief that change can happen.

Garen Thomas takes us through the life of Barack Obama, from his struggle to fit in with his classmates and concern about not knowing his biological father, through his term as Illinois senator, to his historic and momentum-building run for president of the United States.

Barack Obama is a man who uses his words to inspire us. We can have a better future. We can be whatever we want to be. Yes. We. Can.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:23 -0400)

Highlights the life and accomplishments of the Harvard Law School graduate, legislator, civil rights lawyer, and 2008 candidate for president of the United States.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,464,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible