Born to Read by Judy Sierra

Born to Read (2008)

by Judy Sierra

194None61,985 (3.83)1

I thought this story was great and made reading sound alot of fun! I love the fact that they mention some of the classics like Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Hungry Catepillar, and Arthur. I think the kids get a kick out of recognizing the books that they love reading. ( )
  Emelymac | Jan 15, 2014 |
Sam loves to read. He was read to when he was small, and now reads to himself, and he can do amazing things.

My sons and I were really looking forward to this book when it came out. Judy Sierra and Marc Brown had teamed up on "Wild About Books" which was one of our favorites, and we couldn't wait to read their next one.

Talk about a disappointment. The story line was nowhere as cute or imaginative as their first book, and even the rhymes seemed a little forced. It wasn't a terrible book, it just was nothing like the first book. We only read it once or maybe twice, and it will be donated the next time we clean out our bookshelves. ( )
  rretzler | Mar 15, 2013 |
A clever and humorous look at a boy who was born to read. Great way to introduce children to the idea that reading is for everyone everywhere, and they can do anything they can read about. Empowering readers to "own" their reading is so important. This book is a good start, if a little far-fetched. ( )
  szanes | Jul 17, 2011 |
This is a great story for young students to learn that reading is fun. The little boy Sam, begins reading at an early age and is able to do amazing things because of it. He wins a big bicycle race, he outdoes a doctor, and he even defeats a giant who is taking all the toys in the town from the little kids. Sierra does a great job of letting children know that reading is fun and reading can allow one to accomplish a lot in life.
  cmmadden | Mar 7, 2010 |
Genre: Fantasy Fiction
Age App: K-2
Summary: The young reader has been read to since birth. His family views reading as important and reads to him a lot. He discovers that reading makes him smarter and braver. Through very random events, he uses reading to inspire his actions. Judy Sierra incorporates other well known books such as the very hungry caterpillar and Arthur yet failed to connect me as a reader. The setting, plot, and style were very random.
Media: Acrylic ( )
  bknight07 | Nov 22, 2009 |
For the fabulous Janet Schulman
--J.S.,br>
For Isabella Brown
---M.B.
In the town of Sunny Skies,
A tiny baby blinked his eyes
At dragons dancing overhead
And letters painted on his bed.

THE AWARD-WINNING COLLABORATORS of the New York Times #1 picture book bestseller Wild About Books are back with a new story that promotes books and reading. Told in Judy Sierra’s inimitable read-aloud rhyme, the narrative chronicles the amazing successes of Sam—thanks to his early love of books. The story ranges from Sam’s infancy, when his mother reads him a picture book (“then another, then another, then another . . . such a perfect, patient mother”), to school age, when he cleverly uses some of his favorite books to rid his town of the rampaging baby giant, Grundaloon. “‘Here’s my secret,’ Sam decreed. ‘Readers win and winners read.’” Marc Brown’s playful pictures joyously complement this fun-to-read, upbeat story

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:53 -0400)

A little boy named Sam discovers the many unexpected ways in which a love of reading can come in handy, and sometimes even save the day.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,437,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible