Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies…

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch (original 1990; edition 2006)

by Neil Gaiman

26,16962274 (4.27)2 / 1199
Member:paulmorriss
Title:Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Info:HarperTorch (2006), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Collections:Ebooks
Rating:*****

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett (1990)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: A Trilogy in Five Parts by Douglas Adams (ShelfMonkey)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (flonor)
    Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore (yokai, jscape2000)
    jscape2000: These authors revel in taking the things you think you know, turning them sideways and shaking them.
    The Gates by John Connolly (midnightbex)
    midnightbex: Dealing with a similar end of the world theme, The Gates tells an entirely different but equally hilarious story about the apocalypse. As an added bonus, there is also the occasional amusing and often diverting foot note to look forward to.
    Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman (elbakerone)
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    A Sudden Wild Magic by Diana Wynne Jones (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: These two books share a certain cheeky darkness and both have fantastic eccentric characters and wildly inventive plots
    Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett (NatalieAsIs)
    Small Gods by Terry Pratchett (electronicmemory)
    A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny (WildMaggie)
    WildMaggie: Gaiman has acknowledged his debt to Zelanzy. It echoes in Good Omens.
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (electronicmemory)
    Breakfast with the Ones You Love by Eliot Fintushel (octopedingenue)
    Barking Mad: A Reginald Spiffington Mystery by Jamieson Ridenhour (ChillnND)
    ChillnND: I'm a big fan of Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman style comedy fantasy and I found Barking Mad to be not dissimilar in its level of wit and humor combined with the supernatural/fantasy genre. Barking aims a bit more at good-natured parody of Agatha Christie and similarly styled mysteries. I looked forward to every minute of reading it and hope the author gives us some more Spiffington mysteries.… (more)
    The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams (brakketh)
    brakketh: British humor and modern approach to myths.
    The Damned Busters by Matthew Hughes (hairball)
    hairball: This is kind of an obvious one, but hey! someone has to point out the obvious...
    Job: A Comedy of Justice by Robert A. Heinlein (infiniteletters)
    Mercury Falls by Robert Kroese (Awfki)
    Awfki: Not nearly as good but another humorous take on the apocalypse.
    If at Faust You Don't Succeed by Roger Zelazny (WildMaggie)
    The Creeps by John Connolly (kqueue)
    kqueue: Similar story of a young boy saving the world from demonic forces with lots of dry humor along the way.
    The Dyke and the Dybbuk by Ellen Galford (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: You WILL love it. Trust me.

1990s (2)
Read (56)

English (595)  German (5)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  Italian (3)  Swedish (2)  Polish (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (618)
I was expecting to like this book more than I actually did. It was certainly a fun read and, at time very funny. It is just whenever the two main characters drifted out of the story, the book itself began to drift a bit. To me, it is one of those rare situations where the TV adaptation is better than the source material. ( )
  hhornblower | Sep 15, 2019 |
Several years ago, I read Good Omens, and hearing the buzz about the new tv series adaptation, I thought it was worth revisiting this book in audio format, charmingly narrated by Martin Jarvis. This was the first book I read by either author at the time of my previous reading. It is no less than a satirical fantasy about the Apocalypse. More specifically, satire of the religious beliefs around the End Times mixed with satire about quirky, middle-class English life (the biggest flaw of this book is that it can get bogged down in the "quirky, middle-class English life" bit, past the point of being funny).

The main characters of the book are the angel Aziraphale and the demon Crowley, who have formed a partnership over the eons due to their both liking humanity for their own reasons, and thus wishing to avoid the end of the world. Early in the novel, the son of Satan is born, and due to a mix-up by the Satanic nuns at the hospital, the baby is mixed up with another baby. 11 years later, when the Apocalypse is too begin, the child groomed to be an Anti-Christ is an ordinary boy, while Satan's actual son is Adam Young of the Oxfordshire village of Lower Tadfield.

The plot shifts among several characters. Aziraphale and Crowley trying to sort out the mix-up without getting in trouble with their Higher Ups (and Lower Downs, I suppose for Crowley?). Adam and his gang of friends Them get into esoteric mischief as Adam becomes aware of his powers. Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse - War, Death, Famine, and Pollution (who took over from Pestilence after the invention of penicillin) assemble and ride, picking up some Hell's Angels along the way who give themselves names of things that annoy them. And Anathema Device is a witch who knows everything that will happen because she is the descendant of Agnes Nutter, a 17th century witch who wrote a book of accurate, but highly specific predictions. She is brought together with Newton Pulsifer, a nerdy bloke who seems to stumble into becoming one of the last Witchfinders for a paycheck.

A lot of it's corny, and as I've said, sometimes the jokes are belabored. Nonetheless, it's a clever and funny work of two of the great fantasy writers of our age.

My original review from 2004:
A very silly book about the Apocalypse run amok. Sometimes the tongue-in-cheek writing style got a bit annoying, but there were always some clever bits to redeem it. While mostly a parody of Apocalyptical legend, there is also a strong undertone about good & evil and faith in a higher being. For all the comic cynicism, the message about God here is surprisingly positive.
Favorite Passages:
It is said that the Devil has all the best tunes. This is broadly true. But Heaven has the best choreographers

Crowley thought for a bit. "You must have had records," he said. "There are always records. Everyone has records these days." He glanced proudly at Aziraphale. "It was one of my better ideas."

(As someone who works in archives and records management, I'm particularly amused that a demon invented records.)

The small alien walked past the car.

"C02 level up 0.5 percent," it rasped, giving him a meaningful look. "You do know you could find yourself charged with being a dominant species while under the influence of impulse-driven consumerism, don't you?" ( )
1 vote Othemts | Sep 5, 2019 |
It had been about 20 years since I last read this book, but when it popped up as Book of the Month in book group I'm in, I couldn't resist revisiting it.

It was as good as I remembered. Gaiman and Pratchett poke a big, funny, irreverent stick at the book of Revelations, and seem to have a great time doing so.

It's not the only humourous book about the Apocalypse, but in my opinion, it's certainly the best. ( )
  Sammystarbuck | Sep 2, 2019 |
This is quite an amazing collaboration - it's clear that these incredibly talented writers had a blast writing this popular novel. It's both silly and wise and contains a very moving depiction of a friendship between an angel and a demon trying to stop Armageddon. ( )
  KatyBee | Aug 26, 2019 |
Good vs. Evil is a common enough trope in writing, but it is rarely so entertaining. Angels and demons can become friends of sort. And the devil's spawn might turn out to be not quite as planned. But what a waste of a vintage Bentley.

I started watching the video on Amazon Prime, but I'm afraid I'm a better reader & listener than I am a watcher so I gave up on the video and borrowed the ebook. (I have the attention span of a gnat when it comes to video.) The book was delightful. And “The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch” were remarkable prescient when given the right interpretation. The characters were not exactly normal, one might even go so far as to say a bit eccentric, and the book was highly entertaining. Gaiman and Prachett make a great writing team. ( )
  TooBusyReading | Aug 15, 2019 |
The book tackles things most science fiction and fantasy writers never think about, much less write. It does it in a straightforward manner. It's about Predestination and Free Will, about chaos and order, about human beings, their technology and their belief systems. When the book is talking about the big questions, it's a wow. It leaves room in both the plot and the reader's reactions for the characters to move around in and do unexpected but very human things.
added by Shortride | editThe Washington Post, Howard Waldrop (pay site) (Dec 20, 1990)

''Good Omens'' is a direct descendant of ''The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy,'' a vastly overpraised book or radio program or industry or something that became quite popular in Britain a decade ago when it became apparent that Margaret Thatcher would be in office for some time and that laughs were going to be hard to come by...

Obviously, it would be difficult to write a 354-page satirical novel without getting off a few good lines. I counted four... But to get to this material, the reader must wade through reams and reams of undergraduate dreck: recycled science-fiction cliches about using the gift of prophesy to make a killing in the stock market; shopworn jokes about American television programs (would you believe the book includes a joke about ''Have Gun, Will Travel''?); and an infuriating running gag about Queen, a vaudevillian rock group whose hits are buried far in the past and should have been buried sooner.
added by SnootyBaronet | editNew York Times, Joe Queenan (Nov 7, 1990)

When a scatterbrained Satanist nun goofs up a baby-switching scheme and delivers the infant Antichrist to the wrong couple, it's just the beginning of the comic errors in the divine plan for Armageddon which this fast-paced novel by two British writers zanily details... Some humor is strictly British, but most will appeal even to Americans "and other aliens."
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly (Jul 20, 1990)

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sinkkonen, MarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, DouglasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, GrahamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
CAVEAT

Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your own home.
The authors would like to join the demon Crowley in dedicating this book to the memory of

G. K. CHESTERTON

A man who knew what was going on.
It was a nice day.
It'd be a funny old world, he reflected, if demons went round trusting one another.
And there was never an apple, in Adam's opinion, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it.
In one sense there was just clear air overhead. In another, stretching off to infinity, were the hosts of Heaven and Hell, wingtip to wingtip. If you looked really closely, and had been specially trained, you could tell the difference.
The book was commonly known as the Buggre Alle This Bible. The lengthy compositor's error, if such it may be called, occurs in the book of Ezekiel, chapter 48, verse five....

5. Buggre Alle this for a Larke. I amme sick to mye Hart of typefettinge. Master Biltonn if no Gentelmann, and Master Scagges noe more than a tighte fisted Southwarke Knobbefticke. I tell you, onne a daye laike thif Ennywone withe half an oz. of Sense shoulde bee oute in the Sunneshain, ane nott Stucke here alle the liuelong daie inn thif mowldey olde By-Our-Lady Workefhoppe. @ *"AE@;!*
The Buggre Alle This Bible was also noteworthy for having twenty-seven verses in the third chapter of Genesis, instead of the more usual twenty-four.

They followed verse 24, which in the King James version reads:

"So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life," and read:

25 And the Lord spake unto the Angel that guarded the eastern gate, saying Where is the flaming sword which was given unto thee?

26 And the Angel said, I had it here only a moment ago, I must have put it down some where, forget me own head next.

27 And the Lord did not ask him again.

It appears that these verses were inserted during the proof stage. In those days it was common practice for printers to hang proof sheets to the wooden beams outside their shops, for the edification of the populace and some free proofreading, and since the whole print run was subsequently burned anyway, no one bothered to take up this matter with the nice Mr. A. Ziraphale, who ran the bookshop two doors along and was always so helpful with the translations, and whose handwriting was instantly recognizable.

According to the Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter - the world's only totally reliable guide to the future - the world will end on a Saturday. Next Saturday, in fact. Just after tea.
The novel's message:
"Heaven. Hell. They are both dull.
On Earth, there's sushi!"
(WilliamOrmond)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060853980, Mass Market Paperback)

Pratchett (of Discworld fame) and Gaiman (of Sandman fame) may seem an unlikely combination, but the topic (Armageddon) of this fast-paced novel is old hat to both. Pratchett's wackiness collaborates with Gaiman's morbid humor; the result is a humanist delight to be savored and reread again and again. You see, there was a bit of a mixup when the Antichrist was born, due in part to the machinations of Crowley, who did not so much fall as saunter downwards, and in part to the mysterious ways as manifested in the form of a part-time rare book dealer, an angel named Aziraphale. Like top agents everywhere, they've long had more in common with each other than the sides they represent, or the conflict they are nominally engaged in. The only person who knows how it will all end is Agnes Nutter, a witch whose prophecies all come true, if one can only manage to decipher them. The minor characters along the way (Famine makes an appearance as diet crazes, no-calorie food and anorexia epidemics) are as much fun as the story as a whole, which adds up to one of those rare books which is enormous fun to read the first time, and the second time, and the third time...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:22 -0400)

The world is going to end next Saturday, but there are a few problems--the Antichrist has been misplaced, the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse ride motorcycles, and the representatives from heaven and hell decide that they like the human race.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,109,588 books! | Top bar: Always visible