Hannibal by Thomas Harris

Hannibal (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Thomas Harris

Member:borgar
Title:Hannibal
Authors:Thomas Harris
Info:Dell (2000), Mass Market Paperback, 560 pages

Hannibal by Thomas Harris (1999)

20th century (29) American (27) cannibalism (44) Clarice Starling (19) crime (163) crime fiction (32) FBI (38) fiction (674) First Edition (18) Hannibal (31) Hannibal Lecter (148) hardcover (32) horror (351) made into movie (23) movie (26) murder (41) mystery (104) novel (70) own (29) paperback (33) psychology (24) read (94) serial killer (142) series (43) suspense (98) Thomas Harris (34) thriller (369) to-read (44) unread (35) USA (19)

English (46)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (50)
I don't read horror books, but picked this up from a second hand shop out of interest. I enjoyed parts of it, but the police procedural scenes at the start really didn't work for me. I thought that the novel improved towards the end and I thought the final twist (which was still a twist for me - I haven't seen the film) was great. ( )
  cazfrancis | Jul 18, 2014 |
Hannibal by Thomas Harris
OMG, The movie made me shiver and shake with shock....However the book!!! Whew! This is probably the scariest book I’ve ever encountered. It is a good thing It is an eBook otherwise I would not have been able to read it because my hands were shaking too much. This is a must read for the thrill-seeking, serial-killing, sadist-murdering, cannibal-fan reader. I am sick enough to be all three-on paper only. I certainly do not want to meet Hannibal in person. If he ever invites you to dinner find out what is on the menu first. ( )
  ReneeRobinson | Jun 22, 2014 |
his style morphs a lot from book to book, but that's kinda interesting in itself. very flat tones in Red Dragon. followed by flat tones with overlay of pretty self-conscious prettifying in Silence of the Lambs. followed by flat tones with ornate headdressing, some of it positively baroque, in Hannibal. but you can always recognize in it his voice, possibly literally.{g}

i was right with Harris all the way through, up to that denouement fugue. enjoyed the style, and the unexpected look at Hannibal au natural in uncaptivity. he was almost, you might say, the hero, beset on all sides, elegant and neat in all his solutions. i grew fond of him, really. and the glimpses of that origin story shed new light. meanwhile Clarice's travails were unfortunately spot-on, with dysfunctional orgs, revenge of lesser men in several senses, a magnificent asset wasted - and it all seemed to mesh pretty well with the period and with the known history of the various orgs involved in decline.

of course i knew perfectly well he was setting her up. she needed a victim to save, he provided one. fascinating to see to what extent he was willing to go personally in that respect. and then he gave her a tableau that meshed perfectly with her training to use as a killing field. i loved it when he walked with her through the pigs. and he broke her then off her own actions, and not his. very well done.

but that sojourn after, i balked at it, it didn't quite ring true to me. did she want to surrender? maybe. but certainly drug cocktails will only carry you so far into that kind of afterlife. it felt artificial. so did the whole comparison to Mischa, the little sister, for that matter, though that did shed some light on where Hannibal might have gone with Mischa later in childhood, had she survived. and a large problem remained with the characterization of Clarice, not a natural victim. that ending removed all the qualities that made her Clarice, her ability to think on her feet, adapt to circumstances, survive, keep fighting to the end to save herself. in a way it's remarkable that Hannibal managed that and kept her alive, but going there destroyed the structural integrity of that character, and i think thereby the structural integrity of the story. ( )
  macha | May 4, 2014 |
I kept putting off reading this, because I was afraid of being disappointed after having seen the film. I was NOT disappointed! It was very difficult to put down, and even though I was familiar with the plot and everything from the film, I still found myself wondering how it was going to turn out.

My desire to read this at this moment came mostly from my current writing project. I need some creepy bad guys, and of all in literature, film, etc., Hannibal is one of the first to come to mind in a tie with Cormac McCarthy's creepy creation: Anton Chigur in No Country for Old Men.

Looking forward to reading the rest of the Hannibal Lecter novels and hope they are as much of a charge as this one was. ( )
  homericgeek | Apr 25, 2014 |

Thomas Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grimaldi, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Clarice Starling's Mustang boomed up the entrance ramp at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms on Massachusetts Avenue, a headquarters rented from the Reverend Sun Myung Moon in the interest of economy.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 038529929X, Hardcover)

Horror lit's head chef Harris serves up another course in his Hannibal "The Cannibal" Lecter trilogy, and it's a pièce de résistance for those with strong stomachs. In the first book, Red Dragon (filmed as Manhunter), Hannibal diabolically helps the FBI track a fascinating serial killer. (Takes one to know one.) In The Silence of the Lambs, he advises fledgling FBI manhunter Clarice Starling, then makes a bloody, brilliant escape.

Years later, posing as scholarly Dr. Fell, curator of a grand family's palazzo, Hannibal lives the good life in Florence, playing lovely tunes by serial killer/composer Henry VIII and killing hardly anyone himself. Clarice is unluckier: in the novel's action-film-like opening scene, she survives an FBI shootout gone wrong, and her nemesis, Paul Krendler, makes her the fall guy. Clarice is suspended, so, unfortunately, the first cop who stumbles on Hannibal is an Italian named Pazzi, who takes after his ancestors, greedy betrayers depicted in Dante's Inferno.

Pazzi is on the take from a character as scary as Hannibal: Mason Verger. When Verger was a young man busted for raping children, his vast wealth saved him from jail. All he needed was psychotherapy--with Dr. Lecter. Thanks to the treatment, Verger is now on a respirator, paralyzed except for one crablike hand, watching his enormous, brutal moray eel swim figure eights and devour fish. His obsession is to feed Lecter to some other brutal pets.

What happens when the Italian cop gets alone with Hannibal? How does Clarice's reunion with Lecter go from macabre to worse? Suffice it to say that the plot is Harris's weirdest, but it still has his signature mastery of realistic detail. There are flaws: Hannibal's madness gets a motive, which is creepy but lessens his mystery. If you want an exact duplicate of The Silence of the Lambs's Clarice/Hannibal duel, you'll miss what's cool about this book--that Hannibal is actually upstaged at points by other monsters. And if you think it's all unprecedentedly horrible, you're right. But note that the horrors are described with exquisite taste. Harris's secret recipe for success is restraint. --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:37 -0400)

A showdown between two psychopathic killers with a beautiful FBI agent caught in the middle. From his respirator, Mason Verger orders the capture of Hannibal Lecter, the man who put him there, and the bait is Clarice Starling with whom Lecter crossed swords in The Silence of the Lambs.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,470,325 books! | Top bar: Always visible