Hannibal by Thomas Harris

Hannibal (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Thomas Harris

Member:borgar
Title:Hannibal
Authors:Thomas Harris
Info:Dell (2000), Mass Market Paperback, 560 pages

Hannibal by Thomas Harris (1999)

English (48)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (52)
The only reason Clarice loved him was because he drugged and her and messed with her mind. I couldn't put this book down after around page 250 or so, but the beginning dragged on.. ( )
  lesindy | Nov 1, 2014 |
Putting aside the implausible ending, the book was decently written. However, I think Hannibal as a character works better as a twisted "side kick" (like he did in Red Dragon and The Silence of the Lambs) than the villian of focus. Also the Italian detective was not as fleshed out as much as Graham and Starling, so I think Harris failed there as well. I missed the cat-and-mouse dialogue between Lecter and Graham/Starling. I preferred the presence of another serial killer in the story, making Lecter almost a "good guy" by helping the FBI. I love being tricked by a writer into sympathizing with an essentially evil person. It means they've done their job! Sadly, this book failed. ( )
  dulcinea14 | Sep 18, 2014 |
Ewwww. Horrible book - at least the ending was horrible. I could deal with the more grotesque scenes in the book, but Hannibal and Clarice as soulmates? Double Ewwwww!!!! ( )
  AliceAnna | Aug 10, 2014 |
I don't read horror books, but picked this up from a second hand shop out of interest. I enjoyed parts of it, but the police procedural scenes at the start really didn't work for me. I thought that the novel improved towards the end and I thought the final twist (which was still a twist for me - I haven't seen the film) was great. ( )
  cazfrancis | Jul 18, 2014 |
Hannibal by Thomas Harris
OMG, The movie made me shiver and shake with shock....However the book!!! Whew! This is probably the scariest book I’ve ever encountered. It is a good thing It is an eBook otherwise I would not have been able to read it because my hands were shaking too much. This is a must read for the thrill-seeking, serial-killing, sadist-murdering, cannibal-fan reader. I am sick enough to be all three-on paper only. I certainly do not want to meet Hannibal in person. If he ever invites you to dinner find out what is on the menu first. ( )
  ReneeRobinson | Jun 22, 2014 |

Thomas Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grimaldi, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You would think that such a day would tremble to begin...
Clarice Starling's Mustang boomed up the entrance ramp at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms on Massachusetts Avenue, a headquarters rented from the Reverend Sun Myung Moon in the interest of economy.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 038529929X, Hardcover)

Horror lit's head chef Harris serves up another course in his Hannibal "The Cannibal" Lecter trilogy, and it's a pièce de résistance for those with strong stomachs. In the first book, Red Dragon (filmed as Manhunter), Hannibal diabolically helps the FBI track a fascinating serial killer. (Takes one to know one.) In The Silence of the Lambs, he advises fledgling FBI manhunter Clarice Starling, then makes a bloody, brilliant escape.

Years later, posing as scholarly Dr. Fell, curator of a grand family's palazzo, Hannibal lives the good life in Florence, playing lovely tunes by serial killer/composer Henry VIII and killing hardly anyone himself. Clarice is unluckier: in the novel's action-film-like opening scene, she survives an FBI shootout gone wrong, and her nemesis, Paul Krendler, makes her the fall guy. Clarice is suspended, so, unfortunately, the first cop who stumbles on Hannibal is an Italian named Pazzi, who takes after his ancestors, greedy betrayers depicted in Dante's Inferno.

Pazzi is on the take from a character as scary as Hannibal: Mason Verger. When Verger was a young man busted for raping children, his vast wealth saved him from jail. All he needed was psychotherapy--with Dr. Lecter. Thanks to the treatment, Verger is now on a respirator, paralyzed except for one crablike hand, watching his enormous, brutal moray eel swim figure eights and devour fish. His obsession is to feed Lecter to some other brutal pets.

What happens when the Italian cop gets alone with Hannibal? How does Clarice's reunion with Lecter go from macabre to worse? Suffice it to say that the plot is Harris's weirdest, but it still has his signature mastery of realistic detail. There are flaws: Hannibal's madness gets a motive, which is creepy but lessens his mystery. If you want an exact duplicate of The Silence of the Lambs's Clarice/Hannibal duel, you'll miss what's cool about this book--that Hannibal is actually upstaged at points by other monsters. And if you think it's all unprecedentedly horrible, you're right. But note that the horrors are described with exquisite taste. Harris's secret recipe for success is restraint. --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:37 -0400)

A showdown between two psychopathic killers with a beautiful FBI agent caught in the middle. From his respirator, Mason Verger orders the capture of Hannibal Lecter, the man who put him there, and the bait is Clarice Starling with whom Lecter crossed swords in The Silence of the Lambs.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,885,180 books! | Top bar: Always visible