Hannibal by Thomas Harris

Hannibal (original 1999; edition 2001)

by Thomas Harris, Thomas Harris (Author)

Member:CrazyTabasco
Title:Hannibal
Authors:Thomas Harris
Other authors:Thomas Harris (Author)
Info:Heyne (2001), Taschenbuch, 475 pages
Rating:*****

Hannibal by Thomas Harris (1999)

English (66)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (70)
I thought this extremely well-written and compelling, but have to admit I'm not sure about the ending. Normally I'm a sucker for controversial endings, but in this case it just seemed... wrong.

Either way, it doesn't come close to The Silence of the Lambs, but I think still stands up in its own right. I'm not even convinced one would need to have read the previous books to be able to follow this one. The basic idea of Hannibal Lecter is deeply enough ingrained in pop culture now that it would be easy enough to follow anyway.

An enjoyable (though at times uncomfortable) 3 and 1/2 stars. ( )
  Sammystarbuck | Feb 23, 2019 |
A pretty good conclusion to the Hannibal Lecter series, but definitely lacks the energy and drive of Red Dragon and The Silence of the Lambs. Although some additional insight into Hannibal's background is much appreciated, I felt that it could have been explored a bit further and with more tension (but I'm assuming that will be fully covered in Hannibal Rising). The most interesting characters were actually Mason and Margot Verger. Their dysfunctional family unit left the biggest impact. ( )
  rsplenda477 | Jan 8, 2019 |
Hannibal. Wow, where to begin? This is probably my favourite book of the Hannibal series. Here we truly get to explore Hannibal's interactions with another person. Clarise Starling intrigues the superbly written character of Hannibal Lecter. When reading scenes where they interact, it seems all too clear that if Hannibal could ever feel anything close to love, then he would feel it for this woman. This book had me glued to the page. Thomas Harris creates tension effortlessly, lightening the mood at the most perfect points within the story. Manipulation runs ragged, as does the shock of Lecter's flawless logic and intelligence, which often astounds his supporting characters. Reading this, I felt like I alone was being given the secret honour of getting to know Lecter's character personally. I found myself at many times terrified and yet enthralled by such a mysterious figure, always wondering what I would learn about him next. The plot never tires. It grabbed my attention until the very last sentence. If you enjoy tense, powerfully crafted novels, then I would highly recommend Hannibal to you. :) ( )
  Daxmunro | Dec 31, 2018 |
I liked everything up until the end of the book, which I just couldn't swallow as believeable enough. ( )
  VhartPowers | Dec 27, 2018 |
I have not read or seen "Silence of the Lambs" (or any of the other Hannibal Lecter books--I didn't realize there were so many in the series until I looked this one up here.)

I think reading the series in order might give you more background information, but overall, you don't have to have read the preceding books to get through this one.

The prose reminds me a bit of Dan Brown's books without the puzzles for the hero to solve. I wasn't quite sure what the point of the novel was: don't leave your victims alive so they can seek retribution? don't let the desire for revenge take over your life? evil always repays evil with evil?

Basically, many forces combine to put Clarice Starling into Hannibal Lechter's grasp--where it remains to be seen if she will stay. Along the way, Lechter settles the score with several would be assassins, others who want to sabotage Clarice's career, and provides the scapegoat for a sister who wants to kill her brother and take his semen to impregnate her significant other to ensure that their child inherits the Verger fortune.

I found the writing style dry and hard to get through. It took me a long time to get through the book--longer than it usually takes me to read a work of fiction. ( )
  JenniferRobb | May 28, 2018 |

Thomas Harrisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Grimaldi, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You would think that such a day would tremble to begin...
Clarice Starling's Mustang boomed up the entrance ramp at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms on Massachusetts Avenue, a headquarters rented from the Reverend Sun Myung Moon in the interest of economy.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 038529929X, Hardcover)

Horror lit's head chef Harris serves up another course in his Hannibal "The Cannibal" Lecter trilogy, and it's a pièce de résistance for those with strong stomachs. In the first book, Red Dragon (filmed as Manhunter), Hannibal diabolically helps the FBI track a fascinating serial killer. (Takes one to know one.) In The Silence of the Lambs, he advises fledgling FBI manhunter Clarice Starling, then makes a bloody, brilliant escape.

Years later, posing as scholarly Dr. Fell, curator of a grand family's palazzo, Hannibal lives the good life in Florence, playing lovely tunes by serial killer/composer Henry VIII and killing hardly anyone himself. Clarice is unluckier: in the novel's action-film-like opening scene, she survives an FBI shootout gone wrong, and her nemesis, Paul Krendler, makes her the fall guy. Clarice is suspended, so, unfortunately, the first cop who stumbles on Hannibal is an Italian named Pazzi, who takes after his ancestors, greedy betrayers depicted in Dante's Inferno.

Pazzi is on the take from a character as scary as Hannibal: Mason Verger. When Verger was a young man busted for raping children, his vast wealth saved him from jail. All he needed was psychotherapy--with Dr. Lecter. Thanks to the treatment, Verger is now on a respirator, paralyzed except for one crablike hand, watching his enormous, brutal moray eel swim figure eights and devour fish. His obsession is to feed Lecter to some other brutal pets.

What happens when the Italian cop gets alone with Hannibal? How does Clarice's reunion with Lecter go from macabre to worse? Suffice it to say that the plot is Harris's weirdest, but it still has his signature mastery of realistic detail. There are flaws: Hannibal's madness gets a motive, which is creepy but lessens his mystery. If you want an exact duplicate of The Silence of the Lambs's Clarice/Hannibal duel, you'll miss what's cool about this book--that Hannibal is actually upstaged at points by other monsters. And if you think it's all unprecedentedly horrible, you're right. But note that the horrors are described with exquisite taste. Harris's secret recipe for success is restraint. --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:50 -0400)

FBI agent Clarice Starling's involvement in a dramatic drug bust brings her once again to the attention of cannibal killer Dr. Hannibal Lecter who escaped from custody seven years earlier after helping Clarice nab a serial murderer.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,516,262 books! | Top bar: Always visible