Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Queen Victoria by Lytton Strachey

Queen Victoria (1921)

by Lytton Strachey

English (4)  Spanish (1)  All languages (5)
Quite readable. I need to research why it was republished in 2013.
Strachey made it quite plain that he didn't think much of Victoria R. But was quite happy with Albert. Coming to this book with not having read anything else about her, I am loathe to buy everything in this book wholesale.

I found Strachey's profiles of the Prime Ministers interesting, but again, I have nothing to base my reactions upon.

Strachey, if I am not mistaken, was part of the Bloomsbury group with Virginia Wolfe, Bertrand Russell, and others. ( )
1 vote kaulsu | Sep 13, 2014 |
bad condition
  Wall_Family_Books | Mar 23, 2014 |
[Lytton Strachey]'s biography of Queen Victoria is not over the top in minute details. It is written more as a narrative or novel and is quite an enjoyable read. I do wish there was more information about her and her children's personal lives in lieu of detail of the relationship she had with each of her prime ministers. ( )
1 vote tess_schoolmarm | Feb 5, 2014 |
2560 Queen Victoria, by Lytton Strachey (read 25 Dec 1993) Though I have read a two-volume biography of Strachey, till I read this I had never read any book of his. I found this very easy reading and quite evocative of the things it told about. I have read at least one detailed biography of Victoria, and this book does not pretend to be such--but I rather liked it. ( )
2 vote Schmerguls | Apr 14, 2008 |
To Virginia Woolf
On 6 November 1817 died the Princess Charlotte, only child of the Prince Regent, and heir to the crown of England.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 015675696X, Paperback)

This is the definitive biography of Britain’s greatest monarch, who “was hailed at once as the mother of her people and as the embodied symbol of their imperial greatness.” “One of the surpassingly beautiful prose achievements of our time” (Chicago Daily News). Index; illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:14 -0400)

Lytton Strachey's acclaimed portrayal of Queen Victoria revolutionised the art of biography by using elements of romantic fiction and melodrama to create a warm, humorous and very human portrait of this iconic figure. We see Victoria as a strong-willed child with a famous temper, as the 18-year-old girl queen, as a monarch, wife, mother and widow. Equally fascinating are the depictions of her relationships: with her governess "precious Lehzen", with Peel, Gladstone and Disraeli, with her beloved Albert and, in later life, her legendary devotion to her Highland servant John Brown, all.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,491,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible