Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the…

Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World (original 1985; edition 2001)

by Haruki Murakami

Member:LornaR
Title:Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Authors:Haruki Murakami
Info:Vintage (2001), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 416 pages
Tags:fiction, mystery, Japan

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami (1985)

Recently added bytodolos, private library, Jernsaksa, addamour, feywood, seite, dg2books, nvenkataraman1, LJMax
Legacy LibrariesLeslie Scalapino

English (115)  French (4)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (126)
I had to read this book for my Japanese Literature class, and it was actually very good. Murakami has a different style of writing, and it's very apparent after the very first two chapters. In a sense, he presents an array of binary dichotomies throughout the novel, whether it be from characters that are foils of one another, or from diverging chapters. Even in the Japanese version, the narrator refers to himself in a different tone: watashi (more formal) and boku (less formal) in the different chapters. What's the point of this? Well, it's up to you to figure it out.

What this story really reminded me of was [b:The Stranger|49552|The Stranger|Albert Camus|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1240160072s/49552.jpg|3324344] by [a:Albert Camus|957894|Albert Camus|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1212356896p2/957894.jpg], in the sense of this existentialist undertone. But I hated that other book, while I really liked this book. In the end, I believe Murakami leaves us with a feeling of unfinished business, but in a good way. Like the stranger in town that leaves at the end of the day as the sun sets on the horizon, Murakami presents an unknown future for us to decide and figure out what happens next. Interpreted as either hopelessness or a fight for survival, (or anything else for that matter), we are the reader are left with a sense of anticipation. What will happen next, both for these characters' lives, and for our own?

This story is part adventure, part mystery, part crime, and a lot of weird. But it's all good. It's not a very hard read, so you should be able to finish within a week if you're an average reader. ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
This was the first Murakami book I read and it's still my favorite. It's atmospheric and bizarre in the best ways. It's a fun, quick read but it will stick with you for a long time afterwards. This is one of those books that changed the way I saw the world around me in the weeks after I'd finished. The only problem with starting with this one is I've yet to read another Murakami book that I like quite as much. ( )
  cattylj | Feb 28, 2015 |
This is probably the best book I've ever read. It has layers upon layers that can be woven together, unraveled, and examined. The two stories fit together nearly perfectly - and the curious, apparent inconsistencies are fruitful to contemplate. The questions it raises about the nature of the self, the mind, consciousness, and identity are fascinating yet never resolved (which might be frustrating if it weren't for the fact that there are no pat answers to such questions even for those of us who spend years studying them). Finally, it combines my three favorite genres - fantasy, science fiction, and detective mysteries. I'll have to read it a second time before I can write a real review. ( )
2 vote brleach | Jan 26, 2015 |
As with all the Murakami novels I have read,Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World has the author twisting reality to get the reader thinking about real issues. Along the way he entertains with diverting philosophy, interesting meals and an eclectic music selection. ( )
  pgmcc | Dec 27, 2014 |
My favorite Murakami novel. Poetic and hallucinogenic at the same time, the protagonist whose job is being a 'dreamreader' carries data locked in his head, but, unlike William Gibson's cyberpunk novel Johnny Mnemonic, the secrets are accessible, encoded in a subconscious dream-world, 'the town', with stolen shadows and mystical beasts. The novel alternates chapters of this enigmatic and ominous subconscious world with the bizarre techno espionage thriller of the conscious world. Strange and beautiful. ( )
1 vote jkwouden | Sep 15, 2014 |
Ein Parzival aus Japan: Warum »Hard-boiled Wonderland und Das Ende der Welt« Haruki Murakamis bester Roman ist

He has become the foremost representatives of a new style of Japanese writing: hip, cynical and highly stylized, set at the juncture of cyberpunk, postmodernism, and hard-boiled detective fiction.... Murakami [is] adept at deadpan wit, outrageous style.
added by GYKM | editLos Angeles Times Magazine

Murakami's bold willingness to go straight over the top [is] a signal indication of his genius... a world-class writer who has both eyes open and takes big risks.
added by GYKM | editWashington Post Book World

Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Birnbaum, AlfredTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Camp, Marion Op denTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ortmanns, AnnelieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winter, Maxim deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Why does the sun go on shining?
Why do the birds go on singing?
Don't they know it's the end of the world?

The End of the World (Sylvia Dee/Arthur Kent)
The elevator continued its impossibly slow ascent.
Elevatoren var på vej op i ekstremt langosmt tempo. Eller det forestillede jeg mig i det mindste. Jeg var ikke sikker. Det gik så langsomt, at jeg havde mistet orienteringen. Det kunne lige så godt være, at den var på vej ned, eller at den slet ikke bevægede sig.
But on the phenomenological level, this world is only one out of countless possibillities. As you create memories, you're creatin' a parallel world

From Library Journal
The last surviving victim of an experiment that implanted the subjects' heads with electrodes that decipher coded messages is the unnamed narrator of this excellent book by Murakami, one of Japan's best-selling novelists and winner of the prestigious Tanizaki prize. Half the chapters are set in Tokyo, where the narrator negotiates underground worlds populated by INKlings, dodges opponents of both sides of a raging high-tech infowar, and engages in an affair with a beautiful librarian with a gargantuan appetite. In alternating chapters he tries to reunite with his mind and his shadow, from which he has been severed by the grim, dark "replacement" consciousness implanted in him by a dotty neurophysiologist. Both worlds share the unearthly theme of unicorn skulls that moan and glow. Murakami's fast-paced style, full of hip internationalism, slangy allegory, and intrigue, has been adroitly translated. Murakami is also author of A Wild Sheep Chase ( LJ 10/15/89); his new work is recommended for academic libraries and public libraries emphasizing serious contemporary fiction.
- D.E. Perushek, Univ. of Tennessee, Knoxville

Japan's most widely-read and controversial writer, author of A Wild Sheep Chase, hurtles into the consciousness of the West with this narrative about a split-brained data processor, a deranged scientist, his shockingly undemure granddaughter, and various thugs, librarians, and subterranean monsters--not to mention Bob Dylan and Lauren Bacall.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:06 -0400)

The last surviving victim of an experiment that implanted the subjects' heads with electrodes that decipher coded messages is the unnamed narrator. Half the chapters are set in Tokyo, where the narrator negotiates underground worlds populated by INKlings, dodges opponents of both sides of a raging high-tech infowar, and engages in an affair with a beautiful librarian with a gargantuan appetite. In alternating chapters he tries to reunite with his mind and his shadow, from which he has been severed by the grim, dark "replacement" consciousness implanted in him by a dotty neurophysiologist. Both worlds share the unearthly theme of unicorn skulls that moan and glow.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,015,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible