El fin del mundo y un despiadado pais de las…

El fin del mundo y un despiadado pais de las maravillas (Spanish Edition) (original 1985; edition 2009)

by Haruki Murakami

6,352None612 (4.14)213
Member:ehonorio
Title:El fin del mundo y un despiadado pais de las maravillas (Spanish Edition)
Authors:Haruki Murakami
Info:Tusquets (2009), Edition: 1, Paperback, 528 pages

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami (1985)

English (107)  French (4)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (118)
A good friend recommended this novel to me. I loved the title because it sounds so nonsensically avant-garde. Hard Boiled Wonderland...tells two very different but essentially connected stories: the unnamed narrators of the Calcutech and the Dreamreader. The Calcutech lives in 1986 Japan. He's a 35 year old divorced man who works for The System, a sort of all encompassing governing bureaucratic body all dystopian worlds have.

One day, the Calcutech gets a job from someone known as The Grandfather to do a process known as shuffling, which isn't on the level legally. After he does shuffle the data, his life will never be the same.

The Dreamreader lives in a town surrounded by a massive wall where the inhabitants want for nothing. The only drawside: people who enter the town must forsake their shadows. A shadow equates to one's mind. Once the shadow dies, the mind dies and everything associated with it.

This was my first Murakami novel and I'm really glad I listened my friend. Hard Boiled Wonderland was really good. It was a fast read but I was sad when it ended. Murakami painted such beautiful and intricate worlds. I loved the fringe science of the Calcutech's world and loved the simplicity of the Dreamreader's.

Hard Boiled Wonderland was dark and I applaud Murakami for that. Such a tale cannot have any mushy happy endings just endings. I liked his lack of names for his characters. It sure limit the confusion with such an array of characters. Identity was fluid. What's in a name, anyway? ( )
  Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |

Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |
If only the INKlings were in it more! ( )
  LisaFoxRomance | Apr 6, 2014 |
Complex and strange. ( )
  alienhard | Mar 26, 2014 |
This was a beautiful book. Murakami seems to write hyperfiction without the links and nodes and all the rest. However, I may be biased in reading him this way, since I discovered him through a hyperfictioneer (like a Mousketeer without the benefit of the cool hat).
But this book has all the elegiac tones I tend to associate with hyperfiction, and is funny and imaginative and is a real trip.
I loved his characters, especially the main character, who, from the very start, was entertaining, different, and the situations into which he was thrust a great ride. ( )
  mhanlon | Feb 17, 2014 |
He has become the foremost representatives of a new style of Japanese writing: hip, cynical and highly stylized, set at the juncture of cyberpunk, postmodernism, and hard-boiled detective fiction.... Murakami [is] adept at deadpan wit, outrageous style.
added by GYKM | editLos Angeles Times Magazine

Murakami's bold willingness to go straight over the top [is] a signal indication of his genius... a world-class writer who has both eyes open and takes big risks.
added by GYKM | editWashington Post Book World

Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Birnbaum, AlfredTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Camp, Marion Op denTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ortmanns, AnnelieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winter, Maxim deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The elevator continued its impossibly slow ascent.
But on the phenomenological level, this world is only one out of countless possibillities. As you create memories, you're creatin' a parallel world

From Library Journal
The last surviving victim of an experiment that implanted the subjects' heads with electrodes that decipher coded messages is the unnamed narrator of this excellent book by Murakami, one of Japan's best-selling novelists and winner of the prestigious Tanizaki prize. Half the chapters are set in Tokyo, where the narrator negotiates underground worlds populated by INKlings, dodges opponents of both sides of a raging high-tech infowar, and engages in an affair with a beautiful librarian with a gargantuan appetite. In alternating chapters he tries to reunite with his mind and his shadow, from which he has been severed by the grim, dark "replacement" consciousness implanted in him by a dotty neurophysiologist. Both worlds share the unearthly theme of unicorn skulls that moan and glow. Murakami's fast-paced style, full of hip internationalism, slangy allegory, and intrigue, has been adroitly translated. Murakami is also author of A Wild Sheep Chase ( LJ 10/15/89); his new work is recommended for academic libraries and public libraries emphasizing serious contemporary fiction.
- D.E. Perushek, Univ. of Tennessee, Knoxville

Japan's most widely-read and controversial writer, author of A Wild Sheep Chase, hurtles into the consciousness of the West with this narrative about a split-brained data processor, a deranged scientist, his shockingly undemure granddaughter, and various thugs, librarians, and subterranean monsters--not to mention Bob Dylan and Lauren Bacall.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:33 -0400)

The last surviving victim of an experiment that implanted the subjects' heads with electrodes that decipher coded messages is the unnamed narrator. Half the chapters are set in Tokyo, where the narrator negotiates underground worlds populated by INKlings, dodges opponents of both sides of a raging high-tech infowar, and engages in an affair with a beautiful librarian with a gargantuan appetite. In alternating chapters he tries to reunite with his mind and his shadow, from which he has been severed by the grim, dark "replacement" consciousness implanted in him by a dotty neurophysiologist. Both worlds share the unearthly theme of unicorn skulls that moan and glow.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,489,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible