El fin del mundo y un despiadado pais de las…

El fin del mundo y un despiadado pais de las maravillas (Spanish Edition) (original 1985; edition 2009)

by Haruki Murakami

Member:ehonorio
Title:El fin del mundo y un despiadado pais de las maravillas (Spanish Edition)
Authors:Haruki Murakami
Info:Tusquets (2009), Edition: 1, Paperback, 528 pages

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami (1985)

Recently added bykathleenbu, private library, doransamuel, Frasp, bukwurm2, Netpilgrim, jkrzok, Jaguilar64, nicolehmckeon
Legacy LibrariesLeslie Scalapino
    The Castle by Franz Kafka (alzo)
    Kangaroo Notebook by Kōbō Abe (moietmoi)
    Haibane-Renmei: Complete Vols. 1-4 by Tomokazu Tokoro (Jannes)
    Jannes: Different mediums, but there are several interesting connections between the two works. Most prominently the isolated, walled in town. Worth checking out one if you liked the other.
    The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall (Rynooo)
    Mobius Dick by Andrew Crumey (alzo)
    The Affirmation by Christopher Priest (tetrachromat)
    Dogra Magra by Kyūsaku Yumeno (moietmoi)

English (130)  French (5)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All (142)
If I hadn't recently read South of the Border, West of the Sun, I probably would be more enthusiastic about Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.

It was a great story, inspiring even. Murakami challenged me to explore the fantastical in my own writing, and for that, I am very grateful. He is a master at making the infinitely complex elegantly simple and the apparently simple wonderfully complex.

My rating of this book was only discounted relative to the most beautiful book I've ever read--South of the Border, West of the Sun. I don't know why. It just haunts me. ( )
  StefanieBrookTrout | Feb 4, 2017 |
I rarely read fiction, much less "non-realistic" fiction, but I was taken with this book. His descriptions are compelling, and the book was mesmerizing, even if I had to get over the fact that nothing exactly made sense. ( )
  yvonnea | Jan 20, 2017 |
This is tied, with "Kafka on the Shore," for my favorite Murakami novel so far. ( )
  dbookbinder | Dec 31, 2016 |
A few months ago if I anyone has said to me that I would get huge enjoyment and a whole lot of things to mull over in my mind from a book where I did not really understand what was going on for at least 300 of its 400 pages, I would have told them that they didn't understand me at all. But then IQ84 popped. Onto my reading pile and within hours I was incurable hooked on Murakami. Oddly enough my daughter told me 20 years ago that Norwegian Wood was one of her favourite books, but I never bothered to follow it up. Now I will be steadily working my way through his books, one every few months. On Pinterest the other day someone posted that this book reduced him to a trance like state. I know exactly what he means. In this book you are always thinking about what connection can possibly exist between two distinct narrative streams until you finally find out. Murakami seems to have a vast knowledge of western literature and music crossing all genres and he weaves this knowledge into this book, which only served to increase my involvement with the characters. There is no sense trying to provide a synopsis of the plot, this is a really good read and I am very glad that there are a lot more waiting for me to read them. ( )
1 vote johnwbeha | Jul 30, 2016 |
I think I really, really liked this. Or perhaps I hated it. I'm of two minds. But then so was our protagonist, which made him very special and very much in danger. When the forces of darkness and of the System came after him, he luckily could retreat and hide, in his other mind.

Maybe fantasy, maybe science fiction, maybe mystery, possibly coming of age, definitely enthralling. Highly recommended. ( )
  debs913 | Apr 2, 2016 |
He has become the foremost representatives of a new style of Japanese writing: hip, cynical and highly stylized, set at the juncture of cyberpunk, postmodernism, and hard-boiled detective fiction.... Murakami [is] adept at deadpan wit, outrageous style.
added by GYKM | editLos Angeles Times Magazine

Murakami's bold willingness to go straight over the top [is] a signal indication of his genius... a world-class writer who has both eyes open and takes big risks.
added by GYKM | editWashington Post Book World

Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Birnbaum, AlfredTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Camp, Marion Op denTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gall, JohnCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ortmanns, AnnelieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winter, Maxim deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Why does the sun go on shining?
Why do the birds go on singing?
Don't they know it's the end of the world?

The End of the World (Sylvia Dee/Arthur Kent)
The elevator continued its impossibly slow ascent.
Elevatoren var på vej op i ekstremt langosmt tempo. Eller det forestillede jeg mig i det mindste. Jeg var ikke sikker. Det gik så langsomt, at jeg havde mistet orienteringen. Det kunne lige så godt være, at den var på vej ned, eller at den slet ikke bevægede sig.
But on the phenomenological level, this world is only one out of countless possibillities. As you create memories, you're creatin' a parallel world
...I walked right into her backside. It was wonderfully cushioning, like a firm rain cloud.

From Library Journal
The last surviving victim of an experiment that implanted the subjects' heads with electrodes that decipher coded messages is the unnamed narrator of this excellent book by Murakami, one of Japan's best-selling novelists and winner of the prestigious Tanizaki prize. Half the chapters are set in Tokyo, where the narrator negotiates underground worlds populated by INKlings, dodges opponents of both sides of a raging high-tech infowar, and engages in an affair with a beautiful librarian with a gargantuan appetite. In alternating chapters he tries to reunite with his mind and his shadow, from which he has been severed by the grim, dark "replacement" consciousness implanted in him by a dotty neurophysiologist. Both worlds share the unearthly theme of unicorn skulls that moan and glow. Murakami's fast-paced style, full of hip internationalism, slangy allegory, and intrigue, has been adroitly translated. Murakami is also author of A Wild Sheep Chase ( LJ 10/15/89); his new work is recommended for academic libraries and public libraries emphasizing serious contemporary fiction.
- D.E. Perushek, Univ. of Tennessee, Knoxville
Birds fly overhead
Golden beasts graze in the town
INKlings worship... fish?

Japan's most widely-read and controversial writer, author of A Wild Sheep Chase, hurtles into the consciousness of the West with this narrative about a split-brained data processor, a deranged scientist, his shockingly undemure granddaughter, and various thugs, librarians, and subterranean monsters--not to mention Bob Dylan and Lauren Bacall.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:06 -0400)

The last surviving victim of an experiment that implanted the subjects' heads with electrodes that decipher coded messages is the unnamed narrator. Half the chapters are set in Tokyo, where the narrator negotiates underground worlds populated by INKlings, dodges opponents of both sides of a raging high-tech infowar, and engages in an affair with a beautiful librarian with a gargantuan appetite. In alternating chapters he tries to reunite with his mind and his shadow, from which he has been severed by the grim, dark "replacement" consciousness implanted in him by a dotty neurophysiologist. Both worlds share the unearthly theme of unicorn skulls that moan and glow.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,265,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible