La fin des temps: roman by Haruki Murakami

La fin des temps: roman (original 1985; edition 1994)

by Haruki Murakami, A (A)

Member:indiepollo
Title:La fin des temps: roman
Authors:Haruki Murakami
Other authors:A (A)
Info:[Paris!, Editions du Seuil, dep.leg 1994

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami (1985)

Recently added byKeelz09, Iwelin, zuzene, private library, rmdmphilosopher, rtanimura, elctrcmyhm, GabeHudson, BCLIB, Heather_Brock
Legacy LibrariesLeslie Scalapino
    The Castle by Franz Kafka (alzo)
    Kangaroo Notebook by Kōbō Abe (moietmoi)
    Haibane-Renmei: Complete Vols. 1-4 by Tomokazu Tokoro (Jannes)
    Jannes: Different mediums, but there are several interesting connections between the two works. Most prominently the isolated, walled in town. Worth checking out one if you liked the other.
    The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall (Rynooo)
    Mobius Dick by Andrew Crumey (alzo)
    Dogra Magra by Kyūsaku Yumeno (moietmoi)

English (130)  French (5)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  English (142)
A few months ago if I anyone has said to me that I would get huge enjoyment and a whole lot of things to mull over in my mind from a book where I did not really understand what was going on for at least 300 of its 400 pages, I would have told them that they didn't understand me at all. But then IQ84 popped. Onto my reading pile and within hours I was incurable hooked on Murakami. Oddly enough my daughter told me 20 years ago that Norwegian Wood was one of her favourite books, but I never bothered to follow it up. Now I will be steadily working my way through his books, one every few months. On Pinterest the other day someone posted that this book reduced him to a trance like state. I know exactly what he means. In this book you are always thinking about what connection can possibly exist between two distinct narrative streams until you finally find out. Murakami seems to have a vast knowledge of western literature and music crossing all genres and he weaves this knowledge into this book, which only served to increase my involvement with the characters. There is no sense trying to provide a synopsis of the plot, this is a really good read and I am very glad that there are a lot more waiting for me to read them. ( )
  johnwbeha | Jul 30, 2016 |
I think I really, really liked this. Or perhaps I hated it. I'm of two minds. But then so was our protagonist, which made him very special and very much in danger. When the forces of darkness and of the System came after him, he luckily could retreat and hide, in his other mind.

Maybe fantasy, maybe science fiction, maybe mystery, possibly coming of age, definitely enthralling. Highly recommended. ( )
  debs913 | Apr 2, 2016 |
Sean Barrett, Oliver Le Sueur
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami, translated by Alfred T. Birnbaum, is one hard novel to describe. Kirkus Reviews calls it an elegiac allegory, which barely touches on it's attributes. It is an elaborate post-modern novel that is part cyberpunk science fiction and part film noir crime novel.

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World follows two stories, told in altering chapters which are seemingly alternate universes. Eventually the two alternating universes connect.

One part is set in Tokyo sometime in the future where the narrator is a Calcutec, who works for The System. He launders and shuffles data. He's been hired to do a top secret job for a professor whose lab is underground where he has to hide from the carnivorous INKlings, not to mention the competing info organization, the Semiotecs. These chapters feature references to whiskey, pop-culture, old American movies, music, as well as lots of astute comments and nimble wordplay.

The alternate chapters feature a dreamreader who is living in a walled city surrounded by grazing unicorns. He has been separated from his shadow which is not allowed in the city. Attended to by the librarian, his job is to read dreams found in unicorn skulls in the library, but he can't help but wonder about his disconnect to his emotions and memory since he came to this town.

Murakami won the Tanizaki Literary prize (the Japanese equivalent of the Pulitzer) for Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. This is a well written novel teeming with ideas and styles that seem incongruent at first (crime novel vs. fantasy) but eventually it all begins to makes some sense. It has an underlying complexity, which makes it one of those novels that requires some time to process all the ideas.

Highly Recommended

The first Murakami novel I read, 1Q84, also had an alternate reality.

Quote:
Once again, life had a lesson to teach me: It takes years to build up, it takes moments to destroy. pg. 187

SheTreadsSoftly | Mar 21, 2016 |
Prilično konfuzno počinje. Pripovjedač dolazi u neku zgradu s uredima, čuudi se sporosti lifta, dočekuje ga mlđa žena i upućuje na spuštanje u rijeku do njezina djeda. "Što se ovdje zbiva? Ormar u uredskoj zgradi na čijem dnu zjapi riječna provalija? I to baš usred Tokija!"
  rosenrot | Feb 19, 2016 |
Ein Parzival aus Japan: Warum »Hard-boiled Wonderland und Das Ende der Welt« Haruki Murakamis bester Roman ist

He has become the foremost representatives of a new style of Japanese writing: hip, cynical and highly stylized, set at the juncture of cyberpunk, postmodernism, and hard-boiled detective fiction.... Murakami [is] adept at deadpan wit, outrageous style.
added by GYKM | editLos Angeles Times Magazine

Murakami's bold willingness to go straight over the top [is] a signal indication of his genius... a world-class writer who has both eyes open and takes big risks.
added by GYKM | editWashington Post Book World

Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Birnbaum, AlfredTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Camp, Marion Op denTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gall, JohnCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ortmanns, AnnelieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winter, Maxim deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Why does the sun go on shining?
Why do the birds go on singing?
Don't they know it's the end of the world?

The End of the World (Sylvia Dee/Arthur Kent)
The elevator continued its impossibly slow ascent.
Elevatoren var på vej op i ekstremt langosmt tempo. Eller det forestillede jeg mig i det mindste. Jeg var ikke sikker. Det gik så langsomt, at jeg havde mistet orienteringen. Det kunne lige så godt være, at den var på vej ned, eller at den slet ikke bevægede sig.
But on the phenomenological level, this world is only one out of countless possibillities. As you create memories, you're creatin' a parallel world
...I walked right into her backside. It was wonderfully cushioning, like a firm rain cloud.

From Library Journal
The last surviving victim of an experiment that implanted the subjects' heads with electrodes that decipher coded messages is the unnamed narrator of this excellent book by Murakami, one of Japan's best-selling novelists and winner of the prestigious Tanizaki prize. Half the chapters are set in Tokyo, where the narrator negotiates underground worlds populated by INKlings, dodges opponents of both sides of a raging high-tech infowar, and engages in an affair with a beautiful librarian with a gargantuan appetite. In alternating chapters he tries to reunite with his mind and his shadow, from which he has been severed by the grim, dark "replacement" consciousness implanted in him by a dotty neurophysiologist. Both worlds share the unearthly theme of unicorn skulls that moan and glow. Murakami's fast-paced style, full of hip internationalism, slangy allegory, and intrigue, has been adroitly translated. Murakami is also author of A Wild Sheep Chase ( LJ 10/15/89); his new work is recommended for academic libraries and public libraries emphasizing serious contemporary fiction.
- D.E. Perushek, Univ. of Tennessee, Knoxville
Birds fly overhead
Golden beasts graze in the town
INKlings worship... fish?

Japan's most widely-read and controversial writer, author of A Wild Sheep Chase, hurtles into the consciousness of the West with this narrative about a split-brained data processor, a deranged scientist, his shockingly undemure granddaughter, and various thugs, librarians, and subterranean monsters--not to mention Bob Dylan and Lauren Bacall.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:06 -0400)

The last surviving victim of an experiment that implanted the subjects' heads with electrodes that decipher coded messages is the unnamed narrator. Half the chapters are set in Tokyo, where the narrator negotiates underground worlds populated by INKlings, dodges opponents of both sides of a raging high-tech infowar, and engages in an affair with a beautiful librarian with a gargantuan appetite. In alternating chapters he tries to reunite with his mind and his shadow, from which he has been severed by the grim, dark "replacement" consciousness implanted in him by a dotty neurophysiologist. Both worlds share the unearthly theme of unicorn skulls that moan and glow.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,675,167 books! | Top bar: Always visible