Cancer Is a Bitch: (Or, I'd Rather Be Having…

Cancer Is a Bitch: (Or, I'd Rather Be Having a Midlife Crisis)

by Gail Konop Baker

A good funny book. Not one I'd read again, but still good. Loved the title and cover artwork, but the author just seemed like she had alot of issues with her husband. At least that's what I personally saw. ( )
  briannad84 | Mar 26, 2011 |
I don't want to give this book a poor review because of the subject, but I was so bored reading it. From the title I expected something really whitty and heartfelt, but it just didn't deliver. The story jumped around a lot and just did not grab my attention. I think it's great that the author has decided to publish her story, obviously that cannot be an easy thing to do, this just wasn't a book for me. ( )
  amackin | Jun 12, 2009 |
I was initially interested in this book because my mom was recovering from a biopsy at the time that I saw it on the LT Member Giveaway list and I was looking for something that would help me understand what she was going through and maybe help me get a sense of what I could do to help her.

After the first few chapters, however, I was convinced that I’d made a mistake and was dreading having to read several hundred pages of self pity and angry ranting. Then, something clicked and I found myself unable to put the book down. I finished it in one weekend and immediately looked Konop Baker up online to see how she’s doing now.

The majority of the book deals with the aftermath of the surgery she has to remove cancerous lumps in one of her breasts. In between checkups and second opinions, Konop Baker reflects on various aspects of her life: her family, her marriage, her neighbours, and how they would all exist without her. Always honest and often funny, I couldn’t help but feel for her and be moved by her experience. She does a great job conveying how complicated relationships can be, not to mention life itself.

Overall: a funny, thoughtful, moving read. Not exactly light, but not too heavy either. ( )
  spacepotatoes | Apr 22, 2009 |
I consider myself to be extremely lucky in the fact that breast cancer has not directly affected anyone very close in my life. That said, my interest was piqued in this book as I am a secretive voyeur into the lives of other people and could only imagine what you experience when given a cancer diagnosis. Ms. Baker's personal narrative allows you to explore with her the tremendous gambit of emotions and reactions she has to not only her diagnosis and treatment, but her retrospective look at her life and her contemplations of the future. I appreciated her delving look into herself, although I have to admit that I sometimes found it depressing. Perhaps I would have been more appreciative of the bleak parts if I felt more of a personal connection with her. ( )
  crazymama | Mar 24, 2009 |
  LesaHolstine | Oct 20, 2008 |
For Rick, Ali, Abby and Andrew with adoration and affection.

In loving memory of Ann Kelley and Richard Konop.
I'm picturing Carrie on Sex and the City cross-legged on her bed in sexy boy-cut undies and a cleavage revealing push-up bra, her hair professionally disheveled, seductively sucking on a melting popsicle.

“I want to be brave. I want to be big. I want to be gracious and cool. I want to be the Audrey Hepburn of cancer…”

Gail Konop Baker was a runner, yoga practitioner, and lifelong subscriber to Prevention magazine. As her forty-sixth birthday approached, she looked forward to a time when she could at last take a deep breath, with one child heading off to college and the other two busy with their lives. She finally felt as if she was getting her life back.

Then, right before Valentine’s Day 2006, she heard the words that would forever change her: Just to be safe, I think we should biopsy.

It was the beginning of her year-long struggle with breast cancer and its fallout—one that would upstage any midlife crisis she’d fretted was waiting in the wings. “I want to feel bad about my neck. I do,” she writes. “But I feel bad I may not ever get to feel bad about my neck.” Gail was suddenly faced with the truth that awaits us all—this was her life, and she would do anything to hold on to it. As a doctor’s wife, she knew more than she should about her diagnosis and treatment. As a mother, she found unbearable the idea of not being there for the next birthday, next graduation, next anything. And as a woman who’d put her dreams on hold for years, she was determined to make every minute count.

But Cancer Is a Bitch is about much more than the “C” word; it's about the outrageous challenges of marriage, the joys and unpredictability of motherhood, about figuring out what it is you want to do with your life, about wanting to live now.

Funny, raw, and moving, this story will resonate with every mother and wife, and with anyone who has been affected by cancer. It is one woman’s unforgettable, beautifully told account of juggling midlife and motherhood with a rogue boob—and, ultimately, triumphing.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:10 -0400)

Gail Konop Baker was a runner, yoga practitioner, and lifelong subscriber to Prevention magazine. As her 46th birthday approached, she looked forward to a time when she could at last take a deep breath, with her youngest child heading off to college. She finally felt as if she was getting her life back. Then she heard the words that would forever change her... Her year-long struggle with breast cancer would upstage any midlife crisis she'd fretted about. Gail was suddenly faced with the truth that awaits us all--this was her life, and she would do anything to hold on to it. But this book is about much more than the "C" word; it's about the outrageous challenges of marriage, the joys and unpredictability of motherhood, about figuring out what it is you want to do with your life, about wanting to live now.--From publisher description.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Gail Konop Baker's book Cancer Is a Bitch: (Or, I'd Rather Be Having a Midlife Crisis) was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,640,356 books! | Top bar: Always visible