She Lover of Death by Boris Akunin

She Lover of Death (2001)

by Boris Akunin

Series: Erast Fandorin (8)

191393,212 (3.71)1

This was the first Erast Fandorin novel I've read, and maybe it would have helped to read them in order. As it was, I wonder if the translation was off a little, as the word choices were often pretty strange. I could tell that the author was going for a 1900 feel to the language, but I don't think it came across well in translation. As for the plot - it was pretty thin.

Between the strange stylization and less than engaging story, I'll not be likely to try the other Akunin books.

darushawehm | Oct 24, 2015 |
I bought this book on the ferry from the UK to the Netherlands, bit of a spontaneous thing. No regrets whatsoever.
It's a strange story, but I enjoyed it. The characters are interesting. Also, the switching between someone's diary, the newspapers and someone's letters keeps things interesting. You see the whole thing from various angles and it keeps you on your toes. ( )
  nicky_too | May 19, 2011 |

Boris Akuninprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bromfield, AndrewTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reschke, RenateÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reschke, ThomasÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The author is grateful to Sergei Gandlevsky and Lev Rubinstein, who helped the characters in this novel - Gdlevsky and Lorelei Rubinstein - to write their beautiful poetry
Yesterday at shortly after two in the morning the inhabitants of the Goliath company's apartment building on Semyonovskaya Street were awoken by the sound of a heavy object falling to the ground, which was immediately followed by the protracted howling of a pointer dog belonging to photographer S., who rented a studio in the attic.
Please do not combine "Ljubovnik smerti" (Любовник смерти, Die Liebhaber des Todes" with "Ljubovnica smerti" (Любовница смерти, Der Magier von Moskau). Those are two separate works.

Still a persona non grata in Moscow, ostracised by the authorities and shamed by the very qualified success of his last mission, Fandorin is back in his most underground enquiry to date.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,335,336 books! | Top bar: Always visible