The Fifth Woman by Henning Mankell

The Fifth Woman (1996)

by Henning Mankell, Stephen T. Murray

2,320442,722 (3.9)70

English (29)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (44)
I've put off reading The Fifth Woman for some time because I watched the tv adaptation (Kenneth Branagh) a few years ago: I wanted to wait until I forgot enough of the plot to make the reading of the book suspenseful. Needless to say, I enjoyed the book more than the film, and the book had a subplot or two that I don't remember in the film, which added extra depth.

Wallander investigates a batch of seemingly unrelated, horribly violent murders in the fall when his father dies, and the crimes and his grief affect him deeply. The investigation is quite long and involved because the police do not have any viable theories of the case for a number of weeks, and that makes for a bit of a slow read in the middle of the story. The conclusion is very brisk, and I'm most impressed with the epilogue which basically involves Wallander reflecting on the crime and himself, which felt like a necessary part of the story because he felt so on edge during the investigation.

This series is one of my favorites, but I've decided to write just a few thoughts about it because it's one I've blogged about before.
  rkreish | Mar 13, 2015 |
Yet another winner in the the Inspector Wallinder series. A series of horrific murders occur throughout the book.It is a tale of revenge taken to the nth degree. Does Wallender discover the culprit ? Of course he does,but it takes rather a long time before he comes to a solution. ( )
  devenish | Feb 11, 2015 |
Yet another fantastic entry in the Wallander series, I'm sad I only have a few more to read. Once again, we got the POV of the killer and the police. I'm not totally convinced of this method but it did highlight how completely and utterly creepy and insane the killer was. This one seemed to wear Wallander down to his core and I felt rather sad, having read the book following this one already, knowing that the romance with Baiba was not going to work out. I want him to have some little happy moment. The trip to Rome and then death of his father were both incredibly and deftly handled and I'm really enjoying all of Wallander's character development. There is a wonderful complexity to him and it's great to learn him as the books move on. When I finish the series, I'll have to read alot more of Mankell.
  amyem58 | Jul 15, 2014 |
Another deliciously dark Swedish mystery. Mankell has a simple yet compelling way of writing, even if the plot is not tremendous. The contrast between the Scandinavian coolness and the sheer horror (though without too much gore) of the murder never fails to impress. Still, I found "Hunde von Riga" (I read both in German) better. ( )
  Miguelnunonave | Aug 5, 2013 |
The 6th in the Kurt Wallender series involves a serial killer who is a woman out for revenge. The setting is a small town in Sweden called Ystad. Part police procedural, part mystery, the story doesn't zoom by. Instead it methodically follows the approach the police need to use to find the murderer. We know who the murderer is from the beginning of the book, but we don't really know the why until the book is nearing the end. I am a fan of Mankell's books, and of the Masterpiece series starring Kenneth Branagh as Wallender. Dark and brooding - European noir at its best.. ( )
  NanaCC | Jun 13, 2013 |
«Den femte kvinnen» er den sjette romanen med Kurt Wallander i hovedrollen og Mankell er solid som vanlig. 200 sider for solid.
added by annek49 | editDagbladet, Terje Thorsen (Apr 7, 1998)

Henning Mankellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Murray, Stephen T.main authorall editionsconfirmed
"Jag såg Gud i drömmen och han hade två ansikten. Ett som var lent och milt som en mors ansikte och det andra som liknade Satans ansikte." Ur Imamens fall / av Nawal el Saadwi
"Spindelnätet väver med kärlek och omsorg sin spindel." Okänt afrikanskt ursprung
" I saw God in a dream and He had two faces. One was soft and kind like a mother's face, and the other looked like the face of Satan. From The Fall of the Imam, by Nawal El Saadawi
" With love and care the spiderweb weaves its spider." African Proverb
Den natt de hade kommit för att utföra sitt heliga uppdrag hade allting varit mycket stilla.
The letter arrived in Ystad on 19 August 1993.

Sinopsis de la contratapa: La placidez habitual de la ciudad sueca de Ystad se ve rota cuando, con cierto intervalo de tiempo, tres hombres aparecen salvajemente asesinados. Las víctimas llevaban una vida apacible y tranquila, dedicadas a la ornitología, el cultivo de orquídeas y la poesía, lo cual hace aún más incomprensible el casi insoportable sadismo de que han sido objeto. Durante la investigación del caso, Wallander -un detective vulnerable y con aires de antihéroe- descubre que no sólo debe enfrentarse a un asesino de temible inteligencia, sino que éste parece guiarse por un sanguinario y turbio deseo de venganza. Cuando por fin la policía cree estar tras la buena pista, un nuevo asesinato da un vuelco a la investigación y provoca un motín entre la asustada población local.

Inspector Kurt Wallander is home from an idyllic holiday in Rome, full of energy and plans for the future. But when he investigates the disappearence of an elderly birdwatcher he discovers a gruesome and meticulously planned murder - a body impaled in a trap of sharpened bamboo poles. Then another man is reported missing. And once again Wallander's life is on hold as he and his team work tirelessly to find a link between the series of vicious murders. Forever battling to make sense of the violence of modern Sweden, Wallander leads a massive investigation to uncover a brutal killer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:04 -0400)

Fifth in the Kurt Wallander series.In an African convent, four nuns and a unidentified fifth woman are brutally murdered--the death of the unknown woman covered up by the local police. A year later in Sweden, Inspector Kurt Wallander is baffled and appalled by two murders. Holger Eriksson, a retired car dealer and bird watcher, is impaled on sharpened bamboo poles in a ditch behind his secluded home, and the body of a missing florist is discovered--strangled and tied to a tree. The only clues Wallander has to go on are a skull, a diary, and a photo of three men. What ensues is a case that will test Wallanders strength and patience, because in order to discover the reason behind these murders, he will also need to uncover the elusive connection between these deaths and the earlier unsolved murder in Africa of the fifth woman.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,881,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible