The Greeks by H. D. F. Kitto

The Greeks (1951)

by H. D. F. Kitto

I read this book to find out where my classmates would be starting from. It was useful, and is an excellent survey book, if you are a fan of the primacy of Greek Culture over the other strains that make up the modern ambiance. It set for thirty years, (1951-1980's) the framework for discussion of the Mediterranean past. It is still a fairly good beginning book. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Jun 14, 2014 |
Edition: // Descr: 256 p. 18 cm. // Series: Call No. { 948 K51 copy #1 } Contains Index. // //
  ColgateClassics | Oct 26, 2012 |
Edition: // Descr: 256 p. : map 18 cm. // Series: Call No. { 948 K51 copy #2 } Contains Index. // //
  ColgateClassics | Oct 26, 2012 |
Far and away the best introduction to ancient Greece that I have yet found. Kitto has a real love -- even a passion -- for his subject; not only does this passion show throughout but it is contagious as well. With joyful, dynamic prose Kitto introduces us to the history, the people, the places, the culture, and the events of Greece before Alexander the Great. In the process of retelling the story of ancient Greece, he opens up the Greek mind and the Greek heart for us, examining each minutely and showing where it is that we differ (and why we should be careful not to judge too harshly when we do) and where it is that we find similarities. Often it seems that Kitto is introducing us to ourselves, or at least to a part of ourselves which we didn't even realize we possessed. The history of Greece is in many ways a good portion of the history of Western man -- the history of Greece is our history. If you want to know more about ancient Greece and about yourself -- read this book. ( )
  davidpwithun | Sep 16, 2011 |

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,499,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible