Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Insomnia (1994)

by Stephen King

8,813104636 (3.67)2 / 125
Old Ralph Roberts hasn't been sleeping well lately. Every night he wakes up just a little bit earlier, and pretty soon, he thinks, he won't get any sleep at all. It wouldn't be so bad, except for the strange hallucinations he's been having. Or, at least, he hopes they are hallucinations, because here in Derry, one never can tell.… (more)
    It by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Both are set in Derry. There are many references to It in Insomnia.

English (95)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Polish (1)  French (1)  All languages (104)
Interesting read that can honestly get a little creepy at times. The reason this book is so great is not because I was scared, but because I thought this could definitely happen to anyone. If you are not well versed in Stephen King's writing style, this story could see a little confusing at times. Highly suspenseful read. ( )
  allysonpuri | Nov 28, 2020 |
Insomnia is really a Dark Tower novel. I takes about 500 pages to get there, but then you are smacked in the ka with a tower, a dark figure, a king with guns on his hips, and the meaning of the whole struggle of the book as a footnote in the levels of the world. A fun read even if you haven't read any of the Dark Tower, there are moments where it drags. But at 700 pages, that's not a shock. ( )
  kodermike | Jul 31, 2020 |
I don't know how or why I skipped this book when it came out. Maybe I was busy having a kid, or something. I thought it would be 'hilarious' to read a novel about insomnia, while experiencing insomnia myself. Ha.

Having read a synopsis recently, I was surprised to realize that I had not. So I started listening to the audiobook form, read by Eli Wallach. (If you cannot handle listening to nice old men yelling *extreme* obscenities, then please skip this form of the novel. For your own good. It was horrifying, to say the least. And it ruined my ability to listen to this novel in Audiobook form...the whole time I kept wondering if Eli Wallach got off on screaming such words...? What on earth made him decide to do this? Weird.)
At first I was very happy to immerse myself into a heretofore unknown, older version of King. And then later, I got bored.... Eli Wallach reads very slowly, and can only do a couple different versions of his own voice. So I bought the Ebook version of the novel, and read most of it this way.

Not bad. Weird....interestingly weird. But like I said, about 2/3 of the way through, I wanted it to be over, and I don't know why. I LOVE king, and older King more. This made me sad. I'm cannot figure out why, either.
I struggled through, and finally finished it today. All I know is that I am relieved.....and now worried about reading king's Revival, which is sitting on my night stand.
The Ebook version of this novel is LOADED with errors in spelling and punctuation. It was very distracting.

Three stars, because of the boredom. NOT because of the errors, which were not the author's fault, or the distaste in which I held Eli Wallach's performance..... Seriously, does he kiss his wife with that mouth?!? ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |
To me it reads like King trying to write like Clive Barker....Just not gonna work. Not a bad book by a stretch but without a doubt not as good his earlier work. His 90s material really kinda bored me. Well written but a little flat. Coming to the end of this story.......what a snoozer. I can't read more than two pages without my eyes closing. This is the dullest of any King book I have ever read.
  Joe73 | Feb 14, 2020 |
Stephen King does it again. Despite its tome-like size, this novel is an easy read. King’s conversational style keeps you engaged and the pages just fly by. It’s a deeply moving story with relatable, human characters with whom you’ll make a real connection. It’s a nuanced telling of a supernatural struggle of good and evil, with tie-ins to the Dark Tower series for those who know what to look for. Well worth the read. ( )
  Ladyfong | Oct 27, 2019 |

Körber, JoachimÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wallach, EliNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Old age is an island surrounded by death. — Juan Montalvo, On Beauty
For Tabby... and for Al Kooper, who knows the playing field. No fault of mine.
No one—least of all Dr. Litchfield—came right out and told Ralph Roberts that his wife was going to die, but there came a time when Ralph understood without needing to be told.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,687,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible