Window by Jeannie Baker

Window (original 1991; edition 1991)

by Jeannie Baker

2181953,416 (4.19)3
Member:Warnerp
Title:Window
Authors:Jeannie Baker
Info:Greenwillow Books (1991), Library Binding, 32 pages
Rating:***
Tags:PIC

Window by Jeannie Baker (1991)

It is a wordless book to tell the story through scenes viewing from a window. As a baby grew, the world outside the window changed as well. The speed of our changing world was at a horrifying speed and it brought huge destruction to nature.
  hohuen | Jul 31, 2016 |
Gorgeous. Important and powerful message. I want to gift a special newborn with this book, and [b:Home|407495|Home (Horn Book Fanfare List (Awards))|Jeannie Baker|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1174496905s/407495.jpg|396815] too. And I want to buy two copies of each for myself so I can frame all the images. Heartwrenching, and heartwarming. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Baker employs her amazing collage techniques in this wordless picture book that tells the story of a neigbhorhood as a boy grows up. Starting with a mother looking out on a country scene with her newborn son, through the years the country scene through the window turns into urban blight, and by adulthood, the boy is looking for his own serene spot in the country, but will this last? A note from the author/illustrator at the end of the book encourages us all to think about the changing face of our planet and what we can do to preserve beauty. ( )
  GReader28 | Mar 28, 2016 |
The summary really says it all. This is a picture only book that shows how the times change. And not always for the better. The lesson hits home, especially when the grafiit goes up, all the trees are gone, etc. but a bit unrealistic for many place to go the lonely country side to a major city in so few years. But it gets the point across. Would have worked better I think if we watched from being a baby to a older grandpa who maybe moves with is grown children into the countryside once more. I liked the art. Lots of details and things to take notice of. See what changes or different things your kids spot on each page! ( )
  jljaina | Oct 7, 2015 |
This wordless book uses collage pictures that are extremely well done to tell a story that advance in time as the view changes from country side to city. Their are no words needed as you go on a journey exploring growing up and urban sprawl.
  jh33 | Dec 13, 2014 |
To Rodney, Haydn and David

A wordless, visually compelling look at our changing environment, featured on a government reading list for schools. A mother and baby look through a window at a view of wilderness and sky as far as the eye can see. With each page, the boy grows and the scene changes. At first, in a clear patch of forest, a single house appears. A few years pass and there is a village in the distance. By the time the boy is twenty, the village has developed into a city. The young man gets married, has a child of his own and moves to the country, where father and child look through the window of their new home at the undeveloped wilderness outside. Illustrated with elaborate and gorgeous collage constructions, Window is a wordless picture book that speaks volumes.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:20 -0400)

Chronicles the events and changes in a young boy's life and in his environment, from babyhood to grownup, through wordless scenes observed from the window of his room.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,334,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible