Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer, Book 4) by…

Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer, Book 4) (edition 2009)

by Karen Chance

Member:mstx
Title:Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer, Book 4)
Authors:Karen Chance
Info:Onyx (2009), Edition: 1 Original, Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Hunter-sands

Curse the Dawn by Karen Chance

English (33)  Czech (1)  All languages (34)
Cassie's powers of seeing the future come into play here, rather than just her constant skipping through time and space. She gets flashes of the future and has to put together what might happen, and in doing so learns why it can be dangerous to meddle in the past to change the future, something Agnes, the previous Pythia, tries to impress on her. Agnes and Cassie meet while Cassie is traveling through the past looking for Agnes, who is doing her Pythia thing and making sure time runs smoothly. Agnes is there in body, the same way Cassie tends to travel, and we later find out that is thought to be very dangerous and not done by "trained and proper" Pythias. Others don't know that Agnes deliberately did the same things Cassie is doing because she's untrained.

Meanwhile, the war continues. There's a traitor in Mircea's house and someone's trying to kill not only Cassie but the Consuls, and by doing so prevent any alliance between the Vampire Senate and the Council of Mages, and also preventing Cassie from being properly recognized as Pythia. Mostly I don't care about this except for how in this book we meet the previous head of the counsel (who was forced out for his sympathetic views of Cassie) and watch Cassie join in a mutiny.

The Mircea or Pritkin thing continues. I'm still well on the side of Pritkin (he's my type, okay?) and this book did nothing to change that and everything to make me want it more. Cassie and Pritkin get tossed into each other's bodies leading to some interesting scenes, especially the one where John-in-Cassie kisses Cassie-in-John to use his half-demon powers to aid in the healing of John's body. I also didn't hate Cassie's encountering morning wood and John's snarky yet helpful comments. I also liked Cassie telling Mircea she wants to be courted and to get to know him without the geis. I still don't like how she reacts to him, I think she's stuck in the patterns of her childhood then the geis, and Mircea's old-fashioned domineering attitude doesn't help any.

I didn't like this one as much as the previous book but I did enjoy it and I am looking forward to more. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Cassandra’s life is a hectic tornado whipped into action at every corner, every moment. She hasn’t been pithia long but everyone’s still gunning for her, new problems are erupting left and right while she’s trying to stem the issues already existing and all these overwhelming situations leave me needing a cup of tea and nap myself!

Karen Chance has injected humor throughout every book, but I have to say this is probably the funniest. It’s still serious with plenty of action – almost too much – but there’s loads of humorous dialogue and situations woven in convincingly. The bodyguards Mircea placed on Cassie are especially funny. I love Marco as the protective vampire – in fact, I feel bad for him as he has to look after Cassie, who rarely listens and pays attention, always winding herself into disasters and near death experiences.

I’m not saying Cassie’s dumb really. She’s intelligent enough, but she doesn’t listen to advice well and is kind of a “jump in before you think” kind of gal. Sometimes it’s understandable, other times it’s just frustrating and leaving me wanting to strangle her too. She does need more growth. We get some back story with her parents and revelations about that; I have a feeling that’s going to play a bigger part in future stories.

As always Mircea is yummy, but he’s around here less than I’d figure. I am switching to team Pritken slowly but surely. I never found the mage attractive before, but that’s changing. It’s not a full-fledged triangle yet, but it’s getting there…maybe? There is a hot scene that’s forced upon Cassie, but I still liked it. And seriously, very hot. It brings dimension to the characters, making me even more curious what’s going to happen with their lives.

I do wish Chance would do more with the ghosts and that ability, but so far nothing yet. Exclamation points are still used too much in dialogue, but overall it’s well written. The action is still high and strong, but I like how it’s calming down some to become less confusing and more interesting in a character-focused way. I’m also delighted to see one of the enemies, the Silver Circle, calm down as that plot pressure was growing thin.

ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Lots of action, mystery, humor, and a little bit of romance. We're learning more about Cassie and her powers just as fast as she's learning them. Excellent continuation of the story arc. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Wow everything is crashing down, the Lay lines the Circle and the Senate, and on top of that demons attack ! Action so intense it is hard to keep up with all that is going on. Cassie and Pritkin get to know each other in a really funny way. Control is be fought for everywhere and they are the force to save them all. The story ends with us left hanging on the future for the three main characters. The story reall reminds me of the fever series, just not as well written, but worth the read. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Este párrafo me terminó de convencer (no es que ya no lo estuviera antes ... desde el segundo libro al menos) de que PRITKIN se roba la serie entera y Cassie tiene que dejar de ser una pelmaza y terminar de una vez por todas con ese triangulo amoroso al pedo (ODIO LOS TRIANGULOS LOS ODIO CON TODO MI SER )

En fin , como decía , este párrafo de Cassie sobre JOHN PRITKIN :

He wasn't that good-looking, he had the social skills of a wet cat and the patience of a caffeinated hummingbird. In between crazy stunts and, okay, saving my life, he was just really annoying. When we'd started working together, I'd assumed it would be a question of putting up with Pritkin; then suddenly the stupid hair was making me smile, and the sporadic heroics were making my heart jump and the constant bitching had me wanting to kiss him quiet. And now I cared more than was good for me.

Uno de los mejores personajes de la fantasía urbana . Siempre una sorpresa el gran PRITKIN . ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
To MBB
Stalking a time traveler is hard work, even if you are one.

Cassandra Palmer may be the all-powerful Pythia now, but that doesn’t mean people have stopped trying to kill her. Most of the supernatural power players don’t want the independent minded Cassie as chief clairvoyant—and they’ll stop at nothing to see her six feet under.

The Vampire Senate does support Cassie in her position, but their protection comes with a price: an alliance with the sexy master vampire Mircea, who has claimed Cassie as his own.

But even the vampires will have trouble keeping Cassie alive now that the self-styled god Apollo, the source of the Pythia’s power, has it in for her in a big way. To save her life—and the world—Cassie’s going to have to face down her creator once and for all.

Cassie Palmer may be the world's chief clairvoyant, but that doesn't mean people have stopped trying to kill her. And now, the self-styled god Apollo, the source of Cassie's power, is on the warpath--leaving her no choice but to face down her creator once and for all.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,375,569 books! | Top bar: Always visible