The shape of water by Andrea Camilleri

The shape of water (original 1994; edition 2002)

by Andrea Camilleri, Stephen Sartarelli (Translator)

Member:labfs39
Title:The shape of water
Authors:Andrea Camilleri (Author)
Other authors:Stephen Sartarelli (Translator)
Info:New York, N.Y. : Viking, 2002.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, mystery, Italian

The Shape of Water by Andrea Camilleri (1994)

Recently added bylit_chick, Actuarius, angielcm, Switters, private library, Edoardo28, alanreno, pgsola, Jemima_Pett
    The Terracotta Dog by Andrea Camilleri (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: The first two titles in the Montalbano series, with many of the same characters appearing in both.
    The Day of the Owl by Leonardo Sciascia (charl08)
    Death in August by Marco Vichi (Tom_D)
    Tom_D: Similar characters and a translator, Stephen Sartarelli, in common.

English (53)  Spanish (6)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (64)
A quick, enjoyable Italian mystery with plenty of twists and turns. The plot involved political corruption fuelled by sex. Fortunately we have Inspector Montalbano's suspicions, without which the crime would be regarded as suicide. This is the first in the series that I will definitely continue. ( )
  VivienneR | Dec 9, 2014 |
A political mystery written out in a relaxed way, The Shape of Water was a quick, enjoyable read. The book deals with some very adult situations, but when you talk about a suspected homicide, that almost goes without saying. Some readers not used to Italian might become frustrated at the names of characters seeming so similar, but I think that most will be able to work out what is going on easily enough. The story comes complete with well placed humor and the ability to keep you turning the pages. Occasionally what I thought would be the answer to the mystery wasn't quite right, so you have that to look forward to as well. I certainly might pick up the next book in the series if I wanted a light, enjoyable read. ( )
  mirrani | Nov 13, 2014 |
If you saw the Inspector Montalbano series on BBC4 in the winter you will enjoy this book, which I think was the first episode we saw on tv. If you didn't you may get a little confused by the number of people in the story and their roles, particularly as (to my English eyes) some of the police names were very similar to some of the crooks!
This book is translated from the Sicilian-Italian and I think the translator has done a good job or adding the Sicilian flavour to it. The writing is descriptive and pacey, characters well drawn in just a few words, and Salvo Montalbano as perceptive and engaging on the page as he was on the screen. The ending was rather abrupt though, and I thought I must have missed a page! The details of the crime scenes do not shirk from anatomical detail so I think they are not suitable for under 14s although I know a lot of youngsters are made of stern stuff.
I love the setting and the laid-back Mediterranean style and I'm looking forward to reading the next - although there seem to be hundreds of them. Andrea Camilleri is nothing if not prolific! ( )
  Jemima_Pett | Nov 11, 2014 |
I believe that I might have enjoyed this book more had there been a different narrator. I listened to an audiobook version of this title and I simply did not like the narrator. There was something unnatural about a flat Midwestern accent pretending to be Italian.

On its own, this first in series by Andrea Camilleri was interesting and had several plot twists that added to the mystery. I did figure out part of the solution but I was very wrong as to how it fit into the story. I picked this for my mystery group- I look forward to their take on the book. ( )
  enemyanniemae | Nov 8, 2014 |
It is always nice to come across a new series that makes for perfect listening during my walking commute to work. Not overly taxing to the brain and not a huge problem if you miss part of the dialogue because of sudden, unexpected traffic noise. I am still struggling a bit to place the time period of the story. Originally I thought 1980's but now I am thinking earlier, more 1970's. I also love the manner in which Camilleri presents Sicily. There is a love for the place, that is for sure, but he cannot help but take stabs at the corruption and chaos that is the everyday life of Camilleri's Sicily. Yes, the dialogue is a bit crass and crude but it fits the environment. Still not sure what I think about the characters, in particular Inspector Montalbano, but I am looking forward to continuing my audio adventures through Sicily with Montalbano as my tour guide. ( )
  lkernagh | Oct 24, 2014 |

Sartarelli, StephenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simoniti, VeronikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Кондюриной… А.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
רפופורט, מירוןTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No light of daybreak filtered yet into the courtyard of Splendor, the company under government contract to collect trash in the town to Vigàta.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142004715, Paperback)

Andrea Camilleri's novels starring Inspector Montalbano have become an international sensation and have been translated from Italian into eight languages, ranging from Dutch to Japanese. The Shape of Water is the first book in this sly, witty, and engaging series with its sardonic take on Sicilian life.

Early one morning, Silvio Lupanello, a big shot in the village of Vigàta, is found dead in his car with his pants around his knees. The car happens to be parked in a rough part of town frequented by prostitutes and drug dealers, and as the news of his death spreads, the rumors begin. Enter Inspector Salvo Montalbano, Vigàta's most respected detective. With his characteristic mix of humor, cynicism, compassion, and love of good food, Montalbano goes into battle against the powerful and the corrupt who are determined to block his path to the real killer. This funny and fast-paced Sicilian page-turner will be a delicious discovery for mystery afficionados and fiction lovers alike.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:55 -0400)

The first English translation of the best-selling international mystery series follows Sicilian detective Inspector Montalbano as he investigates the suspicious death of an engineer who had made a name for himself in a small town.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,447,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible