The shape of water by Andrea Camilleri

The shape of water (original 1994; edition 2002)

by Andrea Camilleri (Author), Stephen Sartarelli (Translator)

1,468None5,069 (3.64)343
Member:labfs39
Title:The shape of water
Authors:Andrea Camilleri (Author)
Other authors:Stephen Sartarelli (Translator)
Info:New York, N.Y. : Viking, 2002.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, mystery, Italian

The Shape of Water by Andrea Camilleri (1994)

The Terracotta Dog by Andrea Camilleri (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: The first two titles in the Montalbano series, with many of the same characters appearing in both.
    The Day of the Owl by Leonardo Sciascia (charl08)
    Death in August by Marco Vichi (Tom_D)
    Tom_D: Similar characters and a translator, Stephen Sartarelli, in common.

English (47)  Spanish (6)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (58)
This is a bit of a change from the usual run of police detective novel being set in Italy with the brooding but clearly intuitive policeman Salvo Montalbano in charge. There's a death of a politician and he is discovered in the part of town usually reserved for the pimps and prostitutes - but it seems he died of natural causes. However Montalbano doesn't want to close the case - something doesn't fit. More things don't fit when a very expensive necklace is found near the scene and the thing sort of mounts up from there. It all gets a little bit over wrought, and I can almost seen the expressive shoulder shrugs going on. But it's engaging enough. It does have more than its usual share of bad language. I can't decide if that was how it was written, or because it's been translated, but it did get a little repetitive... The end of the book had some notes on phrases or references in the text that may not have been immediately obvious to the non-Italian. ( )
  Helenliz | Mar 25, 2014 |
I really wanted to like this but the whole book just seemed awkward. I think because this was a translation phrases and other things about this book were awkward. This is supposed to be the first book in the series but to me it felt like I had jumped in the middle of the series. There were things about Inspector Montalbano (like Livia) that I felt needed to be explained better. This is a short book (or it least it is short to me) but it was never able to hold my interest. I thought that this was going to be a mystery book but really there wasn't much mystery at all. Also Inspector Montalbano was supposed to be funny but I just found him to be odd. I don't think that I'll be continuing on with this series. ( )
  dpappas | Dec 23, 2013 |
By far this has become my favorite series. Written by Italian author Andrea Camilleri, translated by Stephen Sartarelli and read by Grover Gardner. This review is for the audiobook edition.

Gardner brings this book and the character to life. If I didn't know better I'd think he was Inspector Montalbano in the way he breathes life into each word.

Set in Sicily, this fast paced and funny mystery draws you in from the first line. The character crafting is very good and within a few lines I feel as if I know the man personally. The plot is easy to follow without cluttering that often happens when there are two many characters in a story but Camilleri masterfully moves them around the narrative.

They story starts with the death of a local politician found in a very compromising position.

From there Montalbano who is not a by-the-book guy stumbles along mostly trying to live his life but this murder business keeps getting in the way. It's a great story and I really enjoyed it making me immediately get the next in the series.

If you're looking for a well crafted story with some perfectly timed comedy this is with a look.

etennyson | Nov 21, 2013 |
light detective story, interesting because it is set in Sicily. Well written, easy 2 hour read. ( )
  Fernhill | Aug 20, 2013 |

Sartarelli, StephenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simoniti, VeronikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Кондюриной… А.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
רפופורט, מירוןTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No light of daybreak filtered yet into the courtyard of Splendor, the company under government contract to collect trash in the town to Vigàta.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142004715, Paperback)

Andrea Camilleri's novels starring Inspector Montalbano have become an international sensation and have been translated from Italian into eight languages, ranging from Dutch to Japanese. The Shape of Water is the first book in this sly, witty, and engaging series with its sardonic take on Sicilian life.

Early one morning, Silvio Lupanello, a big shot in the village of Vigàta, is found dead in his car with his pants around his knees. The car happens to be parked in a rough part of town frequented by prostitutes and drug dealers, and as the news of his death spreads, the rumors begin. Enter Inspector Salvo Montalbano, Vigàta's most respected detective. With his characteristic mix of humor, cynicism, compassion, and love of good food, Montalbano goes into battle against the powerful and the corrupt who are determined to block his path to the real killer. This funny and fast-paced Sicilian page-turner will be a delicious discovery for mystery afficionados and fiction lovers alike.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:55 -0400)

The first English translation of the best-selling international mystery series follows Sicilian detective Inspector Montalbano as he investigates the suspicious death of an engineer who had made a name for himself in a small town.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,457,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible