The snack thief by Andrea. Camilleri

The snack thief (original 1996; edition 2003)

by Andrea. Camilleri, Stephen Sartarelli

Member:sjmccreary
Title:The snack thief
Authors:Andrea. Camilleri
Other authors:Stephen Sartarelli
Info:New York : Viking, 2003.
Tags:fiction, mystery, Sicily, Italy, F/C Inspector Salvo Montalbano, book #3, 999 challenge

The Snack Thief by Andrea Camilleri (1996)

English (27)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  All languages (31)
Another great installment but I had some interesting mixed reactions as I was listening to this one. Previous stories have shown Montalbano's more playful sardonic side, as he playfully takes stabs at his work colleagues and the individuals he encounters. In this story, we see a rather nasty sarcastic side of our beloved Inspector. Even food is not the balm to temper his attitude so I started to get rather offended with how he pretty much jumped down everyone's throats, even his lady love, Livia. I will give Camilleri credit. He has given Montalbano a female love interest that is prepared to call him an "a**hole" to his face when he is acting up. Even his work colleagues call him the spade that he is acting like and ask "What gives?" so I let my emotions simmer down and decided to settle in and enjoy the story, which proves to be another one of those crime cases that shows how bureaucracy and corruption can make a crime seem like a walk in the park, in comparison. The story does go on to shed further insight into Montalbano's personality - including his jealous side - and I am seeing a very complex, intelligent character underneath all that bluff, gruff and single-minded food lover we have seen in the first two books in the series. As with any series, some interesting curve balls from some of the reoccurring characters made this another delightful audiobook read for me. ( )
  lkernagh | Nov 12, 2014 |
The Snack Thief is the third in Andrea Camilleri's wonderful series starring the Sicilian detective Salvu Montalbano. Here is a heady combination of crime, intrigue, sun, seafood dishes, pasta and a tangled love life. Salvu is a bit snitty round his staff sometimes, but he's also great fun. My brother, who's read them all in the original Italian/Sicilian (!), says Signor Camilleri is somewhat formulaic, but I haven't yet found that. What I have found is pacy writing, formed largely from dialogue and pithy description. The Sicilian woman of a certain age - a balloon with eyebrows - and Montalbano settling down to wait - to engage in an immobility contest with a lizard - particularly caught my eye.

As a crime novel there is plenty of blood, nefarious deeds, violence and sex. Not for under 13s. There is also police procedure, lack of police procedure as in who doesn't follow the rules and therefore screws the investigation up, and plenty of red herrings (as well as squid, clams and other fish). I liked the "there are 76,000 people in this area and 75,970 eat fish. The other 30 are babies" when railing about some forensic evidence on a murder weapon.

Plenty of twists and turns, including hairpin bends on mountainsides. Lots of fun and friends just as you like to make in a series. Start with the first in the series - The Shape of Water - and look forward to the visual feast when it comes back on BBC4 in the dark days of winter (I hope).

This isn't really a review. It's just what I like. ( )
  Jemima_Pett | Nov 11, 2014 |
It is fascinating to watch the disparate strands of this novel come together. In many ways Inspector Montalbano is a maverick, a very cool investigator, whose instinct for the truth is remarkable.

Courageous in many ways connected to his job, Montalbano is unable to face his father's impending death.

There is a lot of black humor in THE SNACK THIEF but a lot of compassion too. And underlying all, Montalbano's love of good food, resulting in mouth watering recipes. ( )
  smik | Oct 28, 2014 |
Great crime novel, with a twisting plot and a quirky detective. Unique insight on Sicilian life, though the dialogues in dialect (I read the book in the original language) are somewhat annoying because you end up ignoring everything that is not written in standard Italian. ( )
  Miguelnunonave | Aug 8, 2013 |
Another entertaining mystery set in Sicily, an excellent mix of farce, satire and food. Surprisingly prescient, Camilleri's story deals with immigration from Tunisia, terrorism and the compromises intelligence services make. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |

Simoniti, VeronikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vidal, PauTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Денисевич, К.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
(From the Author's Note):
"The novel is dedicated to Flem. He liked stories like this."
He woke up in a bad way.

(translated by Stephen Sartarelli, 2003)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142004731, Paperback)

In the third book in Andrea Camilleri's Inspector Montalbano series, the urbane and perceptive Sicilian detective exposes a viper's nest of government corruption and international intrigue in a compelling new case. When an elderly man is stabbed to death in an elevator and a crewman on an Italian fishing trawler is machine-gunned by a Tunisian patrol boat off Sicily's coast, only Montalbano suspects the link between the two incidents. His investigation leads to the beautiful Karima, an impoverished housecleaner and sometime prostitute, whose young son steals other schoolchildren's midmorning snacks. But Karima disappears, and the young snack thief's life—as well as Montalbano's—is on the line...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:52 -0400)

Les goters des enfants de la classe ont tous t grignots sauf celui de Lo. Jrmie enqute. Lo se dfend. Les accusations vont bon train quand un critch, critch, critch se fait entendre. Le voleur est la souris de la classe voisine.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,438,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible