The Snack Thief (Inspector Montalbano…

The Snack Thief (Inspector Montalbano Mysteries) (original 1996; edition 2005)

by Andrea Camilleri, Stephen Sartarelli (Translator)

Member:morrip
Title:The Snack Thief (Inspector Montalbano Mysteries)
Authors:Andrea Camilleri
Other authors:Stephen Sartarelli (Translator)
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2005), Paperback, 304 pages

The Snack Thief by Andrea Camilleri (1996)

English (34)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  English (38)
This is the third in the series and the more I read, the more I like the cantankerous Montelbano, the faithful Livia, the ambiguity and corruption of Sicily and the strange, complex crimes.

Really fun. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
The Snack Thief by Andrea Camilleri is the third book in his Inspector Monalbano Mystery series. In this book, the character of Inspector Montalbano is clearly defined and although he can be quite childish and selfish at times, he takes a step toward adulthood at the end of the book which is making me eager to pick up the next volume. These books still delight me with their sharp humor and strong sense of place. Sicily comes alive on these pages, and the descriptions of food that the author includes has me booking a reservation at my favorite Italian restaurant!

Great characters and dialogue move the story along at a rapid pace. The Snack Thief has Montalbano investigating both the death of an elderly man in an elevator and the shooting of a Tunisian man on a fishing boat. Eventually he realizes these cases are connected and, in doing so, runs afoul of a certain branch of government.

I read in the notes that the translator of these books, Stephen Sartarelli is a New York poet, and he deserves a great deal of praise for retaining the fluent style and farcical manner that the author originally gave these books. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jul 2, 2016 |
Another very good book in the Inspector Montalbano series. This all stems from a mysterious death in an elevator and someone being killed on a boat. Quite a bit of intrigue and plotting in this book. Also some interesting development between Montalbano and Livia. If you haven't given this series a try, I would most definitely recommend it. I look forward to reading further books in this series. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
I don't know if this series is losing something in translation, but in the books I don't like the character of Montalbano but in the tv series I do. ( )
  KarenDuff | Jun 1, 2016 |
First, my compliments to Stephen Sartarelli on his translation and notes compiled for the reader to understand every nuance of Camilleri's written word.
Some say that the pace of the book is slow, but, I enjoyed this differing flavor on a detective novel. Camilleri is able to immerse us in the world of Inspector Montalbano: his love and enjoyment of mediterranean food coupled with a detailed description of the sea and the warm and rocky Sicilian geography. With a mix of humor, cynicism, compassion, and love of good food, Montalbano goes into battle against the powerful and the corrupt who are determined to block his path. This is a"delicious" discovery for mystery afficionados and fiction lovers. ( )
  FAR2MANYBOOKS | Mar 25, 2016 |

Simoniti, VeronikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vidal, PauTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Денисевич, К.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
(From the Author's Note):
"The novel is dedicated to Flem. He liked stories like this."
He woke up in a bad way.

(translated by Stephen Sartarelli, 2003)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142004731, Paperback)

In the third book in Andrea Camilleri's Inspector Montalbano series, the urbane and perceptive Sicilian detective exposes a viper's nest of government corruption and international intrigue in a compelling new case. When an elderly man is stabbed to death in an elevator and a crewman on an Italian fishing trawler is machine-gunned by a Tunisian patrol boat off Sicily's coast, only Montalbano suspects the link between the two incidents. His investigation leads to the beautiful Karima, an impoverished housecleaner and sometime prostitute, whose young son steals other schoolchildren's midmorning snacks. But Karima disappears, and the young snack thief's life—as well as Montalbano's—is on the line...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:59 -0400)

Les goters des enfants de la classe ont tous t grignots sauf celui de Lo. Jrmie enqute. Lo se dfend. Les accusations vont bon train quand un critch, critch, critch se fait entendre. Le voleur est la souris de la classe voisine.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,613,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible