La voce del violino by Andrea Camilleri

La voce del violino (1997)

by Andrea Camilleri

Member:nero_000000
Title:La voce del violino
Authors:Andrea Camilleri
Info:Palermo Sellerio 1997 209 S.

The Voice of the Violin by Andrea Camilleri (1997)

English (18)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (21)
I've loved Donna Leon's detective series based in Italy and I was pleased when a friend gave me this book introducing a policeman in Sicily. Montalbano is an anti-establishment policeman who is more interested is solving a case correctly than conforming to the politically correct dogma of the police system. He's surrounded by interesting characters and although it was clear that the main suspect in the murder of a beautiful young woman was a red herring, it was still an interesting book. I appreciate good character development that occurs in a well written series. ( )
  brangwinn | Jan 1, 2014 |
Inspector Montalbano suspects something isn't quite right when the police accidentally crash into a car and no one has retrieved the note they left from the windshield. They find a murdered woman in the home. Suspicion falls to a mentally challenged young man who has a crush on the woman, but Montalbano suspects he did not do it even though superficial evidence points to the man. As usual, police corruption is a theme in the book. I found myself enjoying this installment very much as I listened to the excellent reading by Grover Gardner. I was quite amused by some of Montalbano's interactions with one of his men. ( )
  thornton37814 | Jun 7, 2013 |
Decent mystery, but I hated the translation and the reading, even if they were the intention of the author. ( )
  Marzia22 | Apr 3, 2013 |
This is a reread for me. One of the best series in print in my opinion. Andrea Camilleri transports me to Sicily and into Inspector Montalbano's life with in a paragraph or two. Whenever I want a sure thing I pick up the next in this series. When they are done I'll start over. ( )
  Condorena | Apr 2, 2013 |
There's a Renault Twingo referred to as having "committed suicide" when Gallo, the station's driver, he of the "Indianapolis Complex", slams into it in a spectacular example of mad driving that had me crying with laughter on page 4 of VOICE OF THE VIOLIN. Which is not a bad writing feat at all, in 4 pages you know that Montalbano's in a mood after a fabulous meal was interrupted by his nemesis Catarella. That his car's in the shop and he has to get to a funeral. That Gallo's a madman, and there's now a green Renault Twingo parked on the side of the road that's now got a smashed rear end. And you're laughing.

There's nothing particularly funny about the subsequent discoveries when Montalbano returns more than a bit intrigued as to why nobody has rung the station breathing fire over the damage to their car. And it's not all plain sailing in this case as Montalbano battles mutual dislike between him and his new boss, has the investigation taken off him with dreadful consequences, and stares down a bit of discontent in his team all whilst he battles to come to grips with a major upset in his personal life.

As is expected in this series, tight, descriptive, brilliant storytelling with a wonderfully engaging central character who has raised grumpiness to a glorious art form.

http://www.austcrimefiction.org/review/voice-violin-andrea-camilleri ( )

Sartarelli, StephenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simoniti, VeronikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vidal, PauTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Чемогина, Е.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Inspector Salvo Montalbano could immediately tell that it was not going to be his day the moment he opened the shutters of his bedroom window.

(translated by Stephen Sartarelli, 2003)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142004456, Paperback)

Inspector Montalbano, praised as “a delightful creation” (USA Today), has been compared to the legendary detectives of Georges Simenon, Dashiell Hammett, and Raymond Chandler. As the fourth mystery in the internationally bestselling series opens, Montalbano’s gruesome discovery of a lovely, naked young woman suffocated in her bed immediately sets him on a search for her killer. Among the suspects are her aging husband, a famous doctor; a shy admirer, now disappeared; an antiques-dealing lover from Bologna; and the victim’s friend Anna, whose charms Montalbano cannot help but appreciate. But it is a mysterious, reclusive violinist who holds the key to the murder.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:55 -0400)

Montalbano's gruesome discovery of a lovely, naked young woman suffocated in her bed immediately sets him on a search for her killer. Among the suspects are her aging husband, a famous doctor; a shy admirer, now disappeared; an antiques-dealing lover from Bologna; and the victim's friend Anna, whose charms Montalbano cannot help but appreciate. But it is a mysterious, reclusive violinist who holds the key to the murder.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,601,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible