La voce del violino by Andrea Camilleri

La voce del violino (1997)

by Andrea Camilleri

Member:nero_000000
Title:La voce del violino
Authors:Andrea Camilleri
Info:Palermo Sellerio 1997 209 S.

The Voice of the Violin by Andrea Camilleri (1997)

English (20)  Spanish (3)  Italian (1)  All languages (24)
I have to admit that this one didn't appeal to me as much as the previous books in the series. This one had a bit of a 'what's next' feel about it as the re-occurring characters no longer have a great many surprises for us and even the whole Montalbano / Livia story arc just fell a bit flat for me. Even the crime to solve was kind of 'ho-hum'. The story did allow Montalbano some time to reflect and ruminate on his life a bit, so a little more insight into our lead character did surface. the mystery finally took on a new dimension rather late in the story that worked well in bringing things all together but overall, this one was missing some of the sharp Sicilian outlook, caustic humour and mafioso/bureaucracy triangles I had come to enjoy and expect. That being said, I will still continue with the series and have already started listening to the next book in the series, Excursion to Tindari. ( )
  lkernagh | Nov 17, 2014 |
review to follow ( )
  Jemima_Pett | Nov 11, 2014 |
I've loved Donna Leon's detective series based in Italy and I was pleased when a friend gave me this book introducing a policeman in Sicily. Montalbano is an anti-establishment policeman who is more interested is solving a case correctly than conforming to the politically correct dogma of the police system. He's surrounded by interesting characters and although it was clear that the main suspect in the murder of a beautiful young woman was a red herring, it was still an interesting book. I appreciate good character development that occurs in a well written series. ( )
  brangwinn | Jan 1, 2014 |
Inspector Montalbano suspects something isn't quite right when the police accidentally crash into a car and no one has retrieved the note they left from the windshield. They find a murdered woman in the home. Suspicion falls to a mentally challenged young man who has a crush on the woman, but Montalbano suspects he did not do it even though superficial evidence points to the man. As usual, police corruption is a theme in the book. I found myself enjoying this installment very much as I listened to the excellent reading by Grover Gardner. I was quite amused by some of Montalbano's interactions with one of his men. ( )
  thornton37814 | Jun 7, 2013 |
Decent mystery, but I hated the translation and the reading, even if they were the intention of the author. ( )
  Marzia22 | Apr 3, 2013 |
Chronologically the fourth outing for Inspector Salvo Montalbano and his Sicilian team of detectives, THE VOICE OF THE VIOLIN is a perfect example of all that is good about this series. The plot is one of the stronger, leaner ones...Salvo's gradual uncovering of the true story leading to the crime is logically satisfying, as well as introducing a rewarding set of characters among the witnesses and suspects.

Andrea Camilleriprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sartarelli, StephenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simoniti, VeronikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vidal, PauTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Чемогина, Е.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Inspector Salvo Montalbano could immediately tell that it was not going to be his day the moment he opened the shutters of his bedroom window.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142004456, Paperback)

Inspector Montalbano, praised as “a delightful creation” (USA Today), has been compared to the legendary detectives of Georges Simenon, Dashiell Hammett, and Raymond Chandler. As the fourth mystery in the internationally bestselling series opens, Montalbano’s gruesome discovery of a lovely, naked young woman suffocated in her bed immediately sets him on a search for her killer. Among the suspects are her aging husband, a famous doctor; a shy admirer, now disappeared; an antiques-dealing lover from Bologna; and the victim’s friend Anna, whose charms Montalbano cannot help but appreciate. But it is a mysterious, reclusive violinist who holds the key to the murder.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:55 -0400)

Montalbano's gruesome discovery of a lovely, naked young woman suffocated in her bed immediately sets him on a search for her killer. Among the suspects are her aging husband, a famous doctor; a shy admirer, now disappeared; an antiques-dealing lover from Bologna; and the victim's friend Anna, whose charms Montalbano cannot help but appreciate. But it is a mysterious, reclusive violinist who holds the key to the murder.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,367,167 books! | Top bar: Always visible