Die Entführung des Großfürsten by Boris…

Die Entführung des Großfürsten (original 2000; edition 2004)

by Boris Akunin

Fandorin returns in a swashbuckling tale of abduction and intrigue, set during the build-up to the coronation of Tsar Nicholas II.
Member:CrazyTabasco
Title:Die Entführung des Großfürsten
Authors:Boris Akunin
Info:Aufbau Taschenbuch Verlag (2004), Perfect Paperback, 432 pages
Rating:*****

The Coronation by Boris Akunin (2000)

Brilliant. Akunin never disappoints. "The Coronation" is one of his best. Even though it's really hard to pinpoint the best - his writing is superb throughout.

Here the story is told on behalf of the Head Butler for the royal/tzarist family - and how excellently told: with all the nuances of a person firmly established in his position; so we end up with two protagonists: Fandorin himself and Afanasii the butler, who inadvertently and reluctantly becomes our hero's helper, while vacillating between distrust and admiration for Fandorin. The mystery plot is skillfully sculpted on the background of real historical events - the coronation of the last Russian tzar and the horrible aftermath on the fairgrounds celebrating it.

The original Russian version came out a while ago, but I missed it somehow. English translation doesn't disappoint at all, though. An excellent, unforgettable read!!! ( )
1 vote Clara53 | Mar 30, 2019 |
At various times I've read the whole series that's been translated into English so far, and consider this episode the best so far. Narrated by the butler to one of the Romanov royal family, this tells of the coronation of Nicholas II--really, the kidnapping of one of the sons, a little boy, Mika, and the efforts of Fandorin, the butler, Afanasy, and others to rescue him and to keep out of the hands of the archcriminal, Dr. Lind, the Orlov diamond, which will play a part in the coronation. As ransom, Dr. Lind, asks for various Romanov jewels but consents to the family's "renting" the diamond until after the coronation then making the exchange. Incredible unexpected developments all through the story keep up the non-stop action. The conclusion came completely out of the blue!

Highly recommended. ( )
  janerawoof | Mar 24, 2019 |
This book is wonderful and it made me work to fact check what things were like in Russia before the Bolshevik Revolution.
As for the detective Fandorin, he is resourceful, athletic, a master of disguises, insightful, is plagued by a nemesis, is a master of logic, and has a very useful sleuthing partner. Sound somewhat familiar? But he is definitely his own character, just as Russia is quite dissimilar from England even in this time of the final days of the tsars.
The investigation of the kidnapping mastermind, evil as he is, is full of twists and red herrings as well as action and adventure and is related by the chief butler to the royals who involves himself even more than he expects to.
This is one in a series ably translated by Andrew Bromfeld, but any floundering by this reader is not the fault of the author or translator, but my own ignorance of Russian history.
I requested and received a free ebook copy from Grove Atlantic via NetGalley. Thank you! ( )
  jetangen4571 | Feb 16, 2019 |
  jetangen4571 | Nov 10, 2018 |
This is one book that deserves six stars. By far my favourite of the Erast Fandorin novels, a series of tremendous novels.
This is a must read, for anyone who enjoys historical detectives, Tsarist Russia or plain good fiction. ( )
1 vote AssaphMehr | Nov 8, 2015 |

Boris Akuninprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bromfield, AndrewTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reschke, RenateÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reschke, ThomasÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He died in front of my very eyes, this strange and disagreeable gentleman.
Information from the Estonian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,839,468 books! | Top bar: Always visible