Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams

Last Chance to See (1990)

by Douglas Adams, Mark Carwardine

animals (146) biology (97) British (14) conservation (85) Douglas Adams (52) ebook (17) ecology (104) endangered (14) endangered animals (13) endangered species (113) environment (106) environmentalism (42) essays (17) evolution (15) extinction (48) humor (183) memoir (20) natural history (64) nature (179) non-fiction (386) own (15) read (64) science (125) signed (11) to-read (23) travel (198) travelogue (16) unread (26) wildlife (29) zoology (58)

English (48)  German (3)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (54)
This is a great book and a rare non-fiction offering from the late and very great Douglas Adams. It's a look through Adams' eyes at some animal species that are rapidly becoming extinct. In the book we actually get to join Adams on his adventures around the world to see animal biomes and learn just a little more about the science of extinction. This is Adams' call to arms to the readers to save the planet. ( )
1 vote kristen_nicoson | May 7, 2014 |
  kristen_nicoson | May 7, 2014 |
Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams and Mark Carwardine isn't sci-fi or fantasy. In fact it isn't even fiction, but since I've been on a Douglas Adams kick lately I decided I wanted to give this book a chance. The book basically details the travels of Douglas Adams and Mark Carwardine around the planet to visit/research endangered species. It makes for a very good story and it is quite educational and humorous. I think anyone who is a Douglas Adams fan would enjoy reading about his real life adventures. ( )
  Kythe42 | Jul 10, 2013 |
I was always a huge fan of Douglas Adams when I was a teenager because, in addition to writing some amazing science fiction, he also gave me a way to deal with some of the more horrible things that happen to the world in general and to people in particular; black, black humour. While reading this, I was able to revisit the reason why I loved him so. Because he can bring his incredible sense of humour to bear on one of the worst things humans are doing to the world without taking anything away from the gravity of the situation. ( )
  rohangeorge | Jun 19, 2013 |
It's hard to read Adams and not bitterly mourn that his unique, erudite and hilariously goofy voice was stilled so soon. This book finds Adams tromping through the unlikeliest territory in search of animals about to go extinct. Howlingly funny at the same time it's deadly serious, this one's a gem. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |

Douglas Adamsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carwardine, Markmain authorall editionsconfirmed
le Garsmeur, AlainPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This isn't at all what I expected. In 1985, by some sort of journalistic accident I was sent to Madagascar with Mark Carwardine to look for an almost extinct form of lemur called the aye-aye. None of the three of us had ever met before. I had never met Mark, Mark had never met me, and no one, apparently, had seen an aye-aye in years.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345371984, Paperback)

"Very funny and moving...The glimpses of rare fauna seem to have enlarged [Adams'] thinking, enlivened his world; and so might the animals do for us all, if we were to help them live."
THE WASHINGTON POST BOOK WORLD
Join bestselling author Douglas Adams and zooligist Mark Carwardine as they take off around the world in search of exotic, endangered creatures. Hilarious and poignant--as only Douglas Adams can be--LAST CHANCE TO SEE is an entertaining and arresting odyssey through the Earth's magnificent wildlife galaxy.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:01 -0400)

The authors provide an account of their journey around the world in search of endangered animals, including the kakapo of New Zealand, white rhinos in Zaire, and the Komodo lizard

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,212,992 books! | Top bar: Always visible