Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams

Last Chance to See (1990)

by Douglas Adams, Mark Carwardine

English (53)  German (2)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (58)
Loved it. Classic Adam's humor, but with a very serious subject in mind. Loved the story of the parrots in particular. You've finish this book as a conservationalist, even if you weren't before you started. ( )
  JacobMayer75 | Jul 16, 2015 |
This wildlife conservation travelogue is the result of BBC's asking Douglas Adams and zoologist Mark Carwardine to travel around the world in search of endangered creatures. If you have an interest in conservation, this should already be on your list, but if you don't, this should really be on your list, not only because we should all be interested in life here on our earth but because Douglas Adams is one of the funniest people ever to have walked on its surface. You'd think talking about dying species would be dry and sad, but I think Adams could make an obituary a good laugh and it is to his credit that he never lets the humor outshine the actual topic and his accolades of the people who struggle every day to keep species alive for coming generations is always more than apt. I wish the book had more photos, but that's a small complaint and there are plenty available from other sources. ( )
  -Eva- | Feb 16, 2015 |
A fantastic and interesting book for anyone who loves Douglas Adams, the environment, humor, geography, or animals. ( )

Douglas Adamsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carwardine, Markmain authorall editionsconfirmed
le Garsmeur, AlainPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This isn't at all what I expected. In 1985, by some sort of journalistic accident I was sent to Madagascar with Mark Carwardine to look for an almost extinct form of lemur called the aye-aye. None of the three of us had ever met before. I had never met Mark, Mark had never met me, and no one, apparently, had seen an aye-aye in years.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345371984, Paperback)

"Very funny and moving...The glimpses of rare fauna seem to have enlarged [Adams'] thinking, enlivened his world; and so might the animals do for us all, if we were to help them live."
THE WASHINGTON POST BOOK WORLD
Join bestselling author Douglas Adams and zooligist Mark Carwardine as they take off around the world in search of exotic, endangered creatures. Hilarious and poignant--as only Douglas Adams can be--LAST CHANCE TO SEE is an entertaining and arresting odyssey through the Earth's magnificent wildlife galaxy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:27 -0400)

The authors provide an account of their journey around the world in search of endangered animals, including the kakapo of New Zealand, white rhinos in Zaire, and the Komodo lizard

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,435,149 books! | Top bar: Always visible