Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams

Last Chance to See (1990)

by Douglas Adams, Mark Carwardine

Recently added byjulieshedd, UberButter, beertraveler, Ellemir, coffeeNoSugar, private library, urban, ashwinsudhir

English (57)  German (2)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (62)
Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams and Mark Carwardine

★ ★ ★ ★ ½ ♥

It amazes me how many people think that Douglas Adams only wrote one thing – The Hitchhiker Guide to the Galaxy series. But that is not true and here is one example of another gem he wrote. Last Chance to See is the true-life trip of Douglas Adams and Mark Carwardine (a zoologist) as they travel the world in the hope of encountering species on the brink of extinction. Not only was it quite educational, but Adam's humor is at it's best. It is a well written book on conservation (or lack there of). In 2009 Stephen Fry would do a televised follow-up on the animals that were features in the original book.

This was an absolutely wonderful book. I enjoyed reading about the animals and the cultures. I loved Adam's humor (about his own mishaps during the trip). But even with his wit, it is a book about a very serious problem. Definitely a favorite for me for the year. And I definitely recommend it for it's subject matter alone. ( )
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
In 1985 Douglas Adams and Mark Carwardine set off in the hope of spotting the Madagascar aye-aye, a nocturnal lemur nearing extinction. The trip was a success and so the duo came back together a couple years later to seek out more animals that were verging on the brink with the idea that their travels and Adams' writing would shine a much needed spotlight on said brink.

Like the Madagascar aye aye, my encounter with Adams' Last Chance to See adventuring was a nocturnal one. In simplicity, I couldn't put it down. The spotlight shone in Adams' humor and intellect, both fleshing out the weight of their experience. That it mattered to him, moved him.

I could go on about Douglas-Adams-as-a-synonym-for-brilliancy but it's been done. What I will say is that I love reading Adams because he seems to have been gifted with the rare ability to see the world from a slightly removed angle than the rest and the even rarer ability to translate such a view to those of us unaware.

This is an important book; a swollen, dog-eared, in peril of a broken spine book. A pass-it-on book.
  lemotamant898 | Jan 18, 2016 |

motavant | Jan 17, 2016 |
It's so cool that Adams made such an effort to see endangered species. It makes me sad to think that some of the species he saw were probably extinct by the time I read the book, though. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
Loved it. Classic Adam's humor, but with a very serious subject in mind. Loved the story of the parrots in particular. You've finish this book as a conservationalist, even if you weren't before you started. ( )
  JacobMayer75 | Jul 16, 2015 |

Douglas Adamsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carwardine, Markmain authorall editionsconfirmed
le Garsmeur, AlainPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This isn't at all what I expected. In 1985, by some sort of journalistic accident I was sent to Madagascar with Mark Carwardine to look for an almost extinct form of lemur called the aye-aye. None of the three of us had ever met before. I had never met Mark, Mark had never met me, and no one, apparently, had seen an aye-aye in years.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345371984, Paperback)

"Very funny and moving...The glimpses of rare fauna seem to have enlarged [Adams'] thinking, enlivened his world; and so might the animals do for us all, if we were to help them live."
THE WASHINGTON POST BOOK WORLD
Join bestselling author Douglas Adams and zooligist Mark Carwardine as they take off around the world in search of exotic, endangered creatures. Hilarious and poignant--as only Douglas Adams can be--LAST CHANCE TO SEE is an entertaining and arresting odyssey through the Earth's magnificent wildlife galaxy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:27 -0400)

The authors provide an account of their journey around the world in search of endangered animals, including the kakapo of New Zealand, white rhinos in Zaire, and the Komodo lizard

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,147,317 books! | Top bar: Always visible