Old Bear by Kevin Henkes

Old Bear (edition 2008)

by Kevin Henkes, Kevin Henkes (Illustrator)

Member:LeafingLight
Title:Old Bear
Authors:Kevin Henkes
Other authors:Kevin Henkes (Illustrator)
Info:Greenwillow Books (2008), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:Picture Books
Rating:****1/2
Tags:bears, seasons, colors, hibernation, dreams, dreaming, spring, summer, fall, autumn, winter

Old Bear by Kevin Henkes

And here I thought, after all those enchanting dreams, that *old* bear would wake up in heaven. But, was I wrong, really? Spring in the forest is actually quite heavenly. And joy can be felt even when not countered with sorrow. Bravo, Henkes, you've revealed your genius to us yet again. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Old Bear have simple cartoony style illustrations with thick outlines.In this book color is the center of the stage, as Henkes used to talk about the seasons and convey thru color the distinct moods and colors associated with each season. Love how he also changes the color of the outlines per seasons, I noticed this when first read this book to my sons. This is a sweat story for toddlers, to teach them about time, seasons, changes and growth!
  Jlporrata75 | Feb 28, 2016 |
The message of this book is that the seasons all have distinct characteristics that one might like.
I thought this book was quite cute. The illustrations were quite amazing. I enjoyed that each season had a color that was associated with it. Spring was soft purples and pinks while summer was bright greens, autumn was red, and winter was white and blues. It was interesting to see the illustrations portrayed in such a way. I also thought it was nice the illustrations were very simple but detailed; the bark on the trees was not particularly drawn but the texture was very obvious because of the way that it was drawn.
I also enjoyed the language of this book because of how simple it is. The sentences were never too long and contain very simple vocabulary. It seemed as though the author was able to create details and extra information into the sentences while keeping them simple and short. Overall, I believe that the language of this book was affective while also creating simplicity and relaxation during the story. ( )
  graceberry | Nov 15, 2015 |
A bear falling into his winter sleep dreams of when he was a cub. This bear dreams of the beautiful seasons, only to wake realizing another winter has passed.

Teaching Ideas: learn about different season, a bears life cycle, hibernation
  aehunter | May 4, 2015 |
This book would be good to use when talking about seasons and animal hibernation. I think students would like this book because of the imagery and the pictures. ( )
  Kate_Schulte078 | Apr 29, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061552054, Hardcover)

Snug and warm, curled and furry, Old Bear sleeps.

Red, orange, and brown leaves fly through the air, and it is snowing hard. Old Bear doesn't notice.

Old Bear is dreaming about being a cub again. He is dreaming about the beauty of the world. He is dreaming of everything he loves about the forest that is his home.

Turn the page and you will see!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:11 -0400)

When Old Bear falls asleep for the winter, he has a dream that he is a cub again, enjoying each of the four seasons.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,734,898 books! | Top bar: Always visible