The Complete Far Side by Gary Larson

The Complete Far Side

by Gary Larson

Series: The Far Side (Omnibus Boxed Set)

So far I've only read Vol 1 ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
All of Gary Larson's work in 2 volumes, an excellent and ultimate collection for any fan of the Far Side. His offbeat and often dark humor is great. ( )
  Luftwaffe_Flak | Feb 6, 2014 |
recommended for: anyone with a sense of humor, science buffs, Far Side fans

In my opinion, this is by far the funniest and most brilliant cartoon collection out there. This 2 book set contains all the Far Side cartoons that Gary Larson created, and there are some real gems in here. (I also have all the earlier Far Side books as well. I've been a huge fan from the beginning.) Exceptionally funny and intelligent. ( )
1 vote Lisa2013 | Apr 16, 2013 |
If I am ever feeling shitty, I know I can laugh my brains out of my ears if I pick up this 2-volume set. Sure, it is pretty heavy and it kind of cuts off my circulation when I leave it on my lap for too long, but that is the only negative about this collection. [a:Gary Larson|19928|Gary Larson|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1213672623p2/19928.jpg] is a comedic genius and The Far Side is one of the only comics I think is even remotely funny. (how does the Garfield writer keep winning awards? I am baffled.)If you are thinking of purchasing this set, DO IT. You won't regret it. It truly never gets old.

FlanneryAC | Mar 31, 2013 |
Gary Larson's "The Far Side" is one of the funniest, most macabre, wickedly creative and hilarious, frequently gut-busting strips ever to come down the pike. Did I mention funny? "The Far Side" has roots in Charles Addams' and Gahann Wilson's work, but Larson was far more prolific and enduring. One of my favorite cartoons ever is here, with two polar bears cracking open an igloo, one of them saying "Oh hey! I just love these things! Crunchy on the outside and a chewy center!" With a foreword by Steve Martin, kind of a wild and crazy guy himself, and notes by Larson strewn throughout the two volumes, which cover the entire run of the strip from 1980 to 1994. ( )
  burnit99 | May 28, 2012 |

Gary Larsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Martin, SteveForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0740721135, Hardcover)

Gary Larson calls The Complete Far Side, the massive two-volume collection of his Far Side cartoons, an "18-pound hernia giver." Sure to give any coffee table a solid workout, the handsome and heavy 1,272-page "legacy book" is a must for fervent fans; over 4,300 single-panel comics with more than half in color and 1,100 that have not appeared in any book form before (the popular--and far less weighty--paperback collections).

Set in rough chronological order, the comics share pages with occasional letters from fans, detractors, editors, folks made famous by a particular cartoon, and those begging for explanations. Though few explanations are provided (Larson personally supplies merely one, plus a single apology), this collection helps answer the inevitable "how do you think up these things" conundrum. Before each year's cartoons, Larson provides insight with essays about his childhood, various travels, occupational hazards, and his official rules for dealing with bedtime monsters (which often turned out to be his older brother). Most wonderful is the first essay on how the comic started. (His longtime editor Jake Morrissey's long introduction is a must read on The Far Side's story).

Despite no central characters, it's easy to spot patterns in Larson's wild and wacky cartoons. Animals, insects, and inanimate objects often exhibit all-too-human impulses. Larson's subjects are often in scenes of peril--disasters, visits to hell, and perhaps a hundred cartoons set on a one-palm tree deserted island. It is what Larson's fertile imagination mined from those situations that created fans and enemies for 14 years. (Larson retired at his peak and then went into jazz music). The comics are not indexed (how could they be--first lines? listings of cartoons with cows?); finding a favorite requires a great memory for its publication date. Best simply to peruse the pages of this beautiful collection in which you will certainly find more than a few new chuckles before landing on your beloved Larson sketch. --Doug Thomas

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:06 -0400)

Contains every Far Side cartoon ever syndicated (over 4,000), plus more than 1,000 cartoons that have never before appeared in a book. Includes hate mail, fan letters, queries from puzzled readers, and more.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,891,787 books! | Top bar: Always visible