Lioness Rampant by Tamora Pierce
Title:Lioness Rampant
Authors:Tamora Pierce
Info:Simon Pulse 2005-01-01 (2005), Paperback
Rating:*****

Lioness Rampant by Tamora Pierce (1988)

love this series! ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
The first half or three quarters I wanted to rate two stars, but then the last part in the city was just as good as the first two books, so I'm averaging a three. Alanna the traveling knight is just not as awesome as Alanna the page, squire, and shaman were. While she was growing up, Alanna was determined and tough and confident (even with that whole self-deprecating business that I think she eventually outgrew). She went her own way, worked harder than everyone else, and proved herself over and over. But Alanna the knight is kind of whiny and takes a lot of shit from certain Dragons who think they can "forbid" her to do things and shame her for using her magic. If romance had to be tied up as neatly as it was (and of course it did), I'm glad it worked out the way it did. I'm definitely a fan of the series as a whole.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
A very satisfying conclusion to Alanna's adventures. I can tell already that I'll be rereading this books! Such wonderful characters that display real depth of emotion. I'm still just so happy that Alanna remained true to her own spirit throughout the whole series. I just wish there were more in this particular quartet! Now off to start another one. :)

chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
All at once this was the hardest And easiest book of the quartet to rate. There are aspects of this book that I love, that couldn't be more perfect, but then there are also aspects that bugged me yet on the whole I know it deserves a 5 star rating. I love Faithful and I've loved him all along, I remember bawling my eyes out (the first time I read the series) when he died and I had to rein in tears re reading it as an adult. I love how much more the territory of Tortall and the surrounding countries/cultures get explored in the ending books of the series. I disliked Liam, honestly her relationship with him just confused me. Thom irritated me from the start of my re reading experience because he seemed petulant and lazy and I just wonder how much of those feelings came from knowing what would happen. George appealed to me so much more as an adult woman, though of course I loved the way everything worked out when I read it as a girl, he was always the coolest and most lioness compatible suitor from the start. And I love that he 'turned respectable'. I appreciated Alanna's maturity in not marrying Jon and I bet that is something that was lost on me as a teenager, Alanna knew herself and as always, she tried to be true to that person. I love the way it ends, everything falls into place not entirely the way you thought it would. Some things are what you expect, Jon and Thayet were to neatly set up, but others work themselves out well nonetheless,
I'm interested now in the order Pierce published the Tortall series and I'm looking forward to reading the Immortals because I remember how much more the realm/world gets explored in as far as cultures and religions etc... ( )
  Jackie_Sassa | Nov 20, 2015 |
Description: "I'm not sure I want to be a hero anymore."

Having achieved her dream of becoming the first female knight errant, Alanna of Trebond is not sure what to do next. Perhaps being a knight errant is not all that Alanna needs....But Alanna must push her uncertainty aside when a new challenge arises. She must recover the Dominion Jewel, a legendary gem with enormous power for good -- but only in the right hands. And she must work quickly. Tortall is in great danger, and Alanna's archenemy, Duke Roger, is back -- and more powerful than ever. In this final book of the Song of the Lioness quartet, Alanna discovers that she indeed has a future worthy of her mythic past -- both as a warrior and as a woman.

Thoughts: I just don't get why there is so little development of plot and relationships in these books! Things just happen, there is rarely much build up and then very little examination of effect. We're simply told that this person is this and that person means this much and everyone is falling in and out of love basically at the drop of a hat.

Most frustrating is that the main antagonist of the whole 4 book series, Roger, is brought back to life and everyone goes on about their business like it's basically nothing and then when he turns out to, SHOCKER, still be evil and trying to take over everything, it's not even really explained what he hoped to accomplish by shaking Tortall to pieces with earthquakes! WHAT THE HELL???

These books have such an ardent fan base and I guess I just expected them to be a bit... more substantial? Maybe I just got to them too late? The story is interesting but it's just so undeveloped that it makes me crazy.

I do want to keep listening because I've heard that her later books are longer (which hopefully means more fleshed out) and I'd like to know what happens to Alanna and friends, which should be covered since one of the quartets is about her daughter, but I think I'm burned out right now.

Rating: 2.75
Liked: 2.5
Plot: 2.5

Chochola, FrantisekIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heyer, MarileeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neckenauer, UllaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Patti, JoyceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my husband, Tim, who is teaching me that "the M word" can be a good word. And to my editor, Jean Karl, who changed her initial "no" to "yes."
On a March afternoon a knight and a man-at-arms reached the gates of the Marenite city of Berat.
All her life she'd planned to be a knight-errant, roving the world to do great deeds. But now she was learning that such a life included periods of boredom, riding through countryside that seldom changed. Not every village had a cruel overlord; few crossroads were held by evil knights.

-- chapter 1, p.16
"Now that I think of it, I don't know how the famous heroes of the past were able to take things from the entities that guarded them -- not if they were as noble as the stories claim. When you look at it right, it is stealing."

-- Alanna, chapter 4, p.130

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0689878575, Mass Market Paperback)

"I'm not sure I want to be a hero anymore."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:16 -0400)

Alanna continues to create her own life as a female warrior when she and new companions journey to the Roof of the World seeking the powerful Dominion Jewel, perhaps the last hope of saving her country from dissension and hostile magic. "I'm not sure I want to be a hero anymore." Having achieved her dream of becoming the first female knight errant, Alanna of Trebond is not sure what to do next. Perhaps being a knight errant is not all that Alanna needs ... But Alanna must push her uncertainty aside when a new challenge arises. She must recover the Dominion Jewel, a legendary gem with enormous power for good -- but only in the right hands. And she must work quickly. Tortall is in great danger, and Alanna's archenemy, Duke Roger, is back -- and more powerful than ever. In this final book of the Song of the Lioness quartet, Alanna discovers that she indeed has a future worthy of her mythic past -- both as a warrior and as a woman.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,561 books! | Top bar: Always visible