Lioness Rampant by Tamora Pierce
Title:Lioness Rampant
Authors:Tamora Pierce
Info:Simon Pulse 2005-01-01 (2005), Paperback
Rating:*****

Lioness Rampant by Tamora Pierce (1988)

In the fourth and final book, Alanna takes on a new quest: to obtain the Dominion Jewel for Jonathan and Tortall, and to prove (again) her worthiness as a knight when she returns to court. She acquires new companions on her journey, a Shang Dragon called Liam, a princess called Thayet, and Thayet's companion Buri. Meanwhile, Alanna's twin Thom is up to dangerous sorcery: he has brought Roger, Duke of Conte, back from the dead. Roger assures everyone he has left his magic behind in the underworld, but that isn't so. The book culminates in an uprising during Jonathan's coronation; as his champion, Alanna fights Roger again.

Quotes

"I just wonder why you feel you have to be all warrior or all woman. Can't you be both?" (Liam to Alanna, 69)

How did Liam unsettle her in so many different ways? Neither Jonathan nor George had laid siege to her as he did. (70)

"You aren't afraid of anything."
"Everyone's afraid of something." (Alanna and Liam, 73)

Someday she would have to leave him - no love would last when he feared part of her. (87)

"I guess sometimes we get used to seeing a person a certain way." (Liam to Alanna, 138)

Liam couldn't apologize; Alanna couldn't forgive. (146)

"But isn't that always the way when folk plot to steal power? The innocent get hurt." (George's mother Eleni Cooper, 213)

"I feel as if I'm a sort of weapon, but a weapon must have someone to wield it, or it just lies around rusting." (Alanna to Jonathan, 283)

You wanted to be a hero, Faithful said. Heroes have responsibilities. (307)

"The gods cannot reveal all things; otherwise, where is men's right to choose their fates? Where is your right to choose?" (Goddess to Alanna, 309-310)

That's how the universe is fashioned...There are moments when only a human can affect the outcome of events...People like you are the fulcrums on which the future turns. (Faithful to Alanna, 311) ( )
  JennyArch | Jan 20, 2015 |
Sigh... I know I would love this series. Doesn't disappoint at all. Review when I'm in the mood to get out of my writer shell. As if... ( )
  aoibhealfae | Sep 23, 2013 |
  aoibhealfae | Sep 23, 2013 |
I've read this multiple times, but I just finished listening to the audio as read by Trini Alvarado. Alvarado did a fine job for the most part, but there were some pronunciations that seemed off - I don't think I had ever heard swathed pronounced with a long "a" even though the dictionary lists it as a variant pronunciation. However, the ending still made me cry (which was probably not the safest driving situation ever) despite knowing ahead of time what was going to happen. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |
This, I think, was the best book of them all.

Pierce really hit her stride with the storytelling, and kept things moving. Love was lost, and found. Friendships were made.

And I cried a little when Faithful died. Poor Faithful!

Sometime in the near future, I will be moving on to the next quartet in the universe, though I have many more books to read between now and then. ( )
  erincathryn | Mar 31, 2013 |

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alvarado, TriniNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chochola, FrantisekIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neckenauer, UllaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my husband, Tim, who is teaching me that "the M word" can be a good word. And to my editor, Jean Karl, who changed her initial "no" to "yes."
On a March afternoon a knight and a man-at-arms reached the gates of the Marenite city of Berat.
All her life she'd planned to be a knight-errant, roving the world to do great deeds. But now she was learning that such a life included periods of boredom, riding through countryside that seldom changed. Not every village had a cruel overlord; few crossroads were held by evil knights.

-- chapter 1, p.16
"Now that I think of it, I don't know how the famous heroes of the past were able to take things from the entities that guarded them -- not if they were as noble as the stories claim. When you look at it right, it is stealing."

-- Alanna, chapter 4, p.130

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0689878575, Mass Market Paperback)

"I'm not sure I want to be a hero anymore."

Having achieved her dream of becoming the first female knight errant, Alanna of Trebond is not sure what to do next. Perhaps being a knight errant is not all that Alanna needs....But Alanna must push her uncertainty aside when a new challenge arises. She must recover the Dominion Jewel, a legendary gem with enormous power for good -- but only in the right hands. And she must work quickly. Tortall is in great danger, and Alanna's archenemy, Duke Roger, is back -- and more powerful than ever. In this final book of the Song of the Lioness quartet, Alanna discovers that she indeed has a future worthy of her mythic past -- both as a warrior and as a woman.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:16 -0400)

Alanna continues to create her own life as a female warrior when she and new companions journey to the Roof of the World seeking the powerful Dominion Jewel, perhaps the last hope of saving her country from dissension and hostile magic. "I'm not sure I want to be a hero anymore." Having achieved her dream of becoming the first female knight errant, Alanna of Trebond is not sure what to do next. Perhaps being a knight errant is not all that Alanna needs ... But Alanna must push her uncertainty aside when a new challenge arises. She must recover the Dominion Jewel, a legendary gem with enormous power for good -- but only in the right hands. And she must work quickly. Tortall is in great danger, and Alanna's archenemy, Duke Roger, is back -- and more powerful than ever. In this final book of the Song of the Lioness quartet, Alanna discovers that she indeed has a future worthy of her mythic past -- both as a warrior and as a woman.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,907,050 books! | Top bar: Always visible