The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul (Dirk…

The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul (Dirk Gently) (original 1988; edition 2012)

by Douglas Adams (Author)

Member:PawsforThought
Title:The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul (Dirk Gently)
Authors:Douglas Adams (Author)
Info:Pan (2012), Edition: New edition, 288 pages
Collections:To read

The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams (1988)

English (84)  Italian (1)  All (85)
The Gods are a bit of the rails and Dirk Gently backs into the action in his less than professional way. I miss Douglas Adams! ( )
  addunn3 | Oct 10, 2017 |
I didn’t enjoy this nearly as much as Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency. It started off interesting, but for some reason I became progressively less interested as the story continued and I put the book down more and more frequently. I also didn’t find it as funny. It had humor, but it didn’t make me laugh as much. I think it intentionally took a more serious tone, which I might have appreciated better if I’d been more interested in the story.

The first book had a mixture of elements from both science fiction and fantasy, but I thought it leaned more toward science fiction. This book, on the other hand, was purely in the fantasy category with Norse gods playing a large role in the story. In many ways this reminded me of American Gods, at least in terms of the basic premise, except without the “American” part. This book was published first, so maybe I would feel differently if I had read it first, but I preferred American Gods.

I’m not really sure why this one didn’t work as well for me as Dirk Gently did but, by the end, I was happy to be done with it. ( )
  YouKneeK | Oct 5, 2017 |
Listening to the audiobook this time around, I have to say that I enjoyed Douglas Adams' second Dirk Gently novel just as much as the first time around. Classic stuff. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
What a hoot! This was a fun listen, laughing all the way! I'll have to go back and find the first Dirk Gently. I really liked this a lot. Not Terry Pratchett, but a close runner up. Loved having Douglas Adams read it. He did a great job! ( )
  njcur | May 15, 2017 |
Published in 1988, this is the second book in the Dirk Gently series. I really enjoyed this one. I listened to the audio read by the author (great job) and also had a book. This is a fantasy/sci fi book where Dirk Gently is a detective. The title may seem to not fit the novel but wiki tells me that this title is a phrase that appeared in Adams' novel Life, the Universe and Everything to describe the wretched boredom of immortal being Wowbagger, the Infinitely Prolonged, and is a play on the theological treatise Dark Night of the Soul, by Saint John of the Cross and refers to that time on Sunday when the weekend is over and the weekday has not started "In the end, it was the Sunday afternoons he couldn't cope with, and that terrible listlessness which starts to set in at about 2:55, when you know that you've had all the baths you can usefully have that day, that however hard you stare at any given paragraph in the papers you will never actually read it, or use the revolutionary new pruning technique it describes, and that as you stare at the clock the hands will move relentlessly on to four o'clock, and you will enter the long dark teatime of the soul." Dirk Gently calls himself a holistic detective. He has been hired by a man who wants to be protected from a large green monster set on killing him. He suspects the client is nuts but after he is found beheaded on a record that is playing "don't pick it up" he decides to follow the clues to find out what has happened. It is a riotous tale and truly quirky. I enjoyed this much more than I did The Hitchhikes Guide to The Galaxy. I did read it out of order and will need to eventually read the first book. This is a book with alternate universes of man and Valhalla. Technology is not very advanced in 1988 and this book makes fun of it. It's also about man forgetting the deities that had been called into being by humanities need for faith. ( )
1 vote Kristelh | Feb 4, 2017 |

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Adams, DouglasNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jane
It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on Earth has ever produced the expression "as pretty as an airport".

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671742515, Mass Market Paperback)

When a passenger check-in desk at London's Heathrow Airport disappears in a ball of orange flame, the explosion is deemed an act of God. But which god, wonders holistic detective Dirk Gently? What god would be hanging around Heathrow trying to catch the 3:37 to Oslo? And what has this to do with Dirk's latest--and late-- client, found only this morning with his head revolving atop the hit record "Hot Potato"? Amid the hostile attentions of a stray eagle and the trauma of a very dirty refrigerator, super-sleuth Dirk Gently will once again solve the mysteries of the universe...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:57 -0400)

After a Heathrow Airport ticket counter explodes, intergalactic sleuth Dirk Gently finds himself up against a heavenly host of foes-- from the IRA to the Norse Gods.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,495,407 books! | Top bar: Always visible