The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by…

The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (original 1988; edition 1988)

by Douglas Adams

Member:StephenBarkley
Title:The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul
Authors:Douglas Adams
Info:Toronto : Stoddart, 1988.
Collections:Your library, @Home
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, Science Fiction, Humour

The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams (1988)

English (72)  Italian (1)  All languages (73)
Another car-trip audiobook. Adams just never quite does it for me. I see that it's funny, and sometimes it even genuinely makes me laugh, but on the whole I just don't click with it. I did enjoy this (and I like the Dirk Gently books more than I ever did the Hitchhiker's books), and I'm glad I listened to it. Some things are just not my kind of nonsense, I guess. ( )
1 vote lycomayflower | Feb 1, 2016 |
This is the second book involving "holistic detective" Dirk Gently. This time, Dirk doesn't really get involved with Odin, Thor, Asgard and a Coke machine, but everyone else does. Dirk is mainly concerned with staring down an apparently p-o-ed eagle.

Very entertaining, off-beat, satirical (yet refreshingly insightful) offering by Douglas Adams. ( )
  jpporter | Jan 12, 2016 |
This book wasn't as difficult to follow as Dirk's first adventure, albeit, multiple dialogues and situations unfolding at the same time, the storyline was very easily followed.

I mentioned this before, Dirk has a very brash, badass take on life, much like Ford Prefect's own views and I have grown quite fond of him. Accidentally intelligent, a hedonist and completely self centered, but he always manages to save the day in the long run. A very interesting read, overall. ( )
  Joseph_Stelmaszek | Nov 29, 2015 |
Didn't like it as much as the first in the Dirk Gently series... Story is nice and hilariously funny, as always with Adams, but the plot is boring and late. ( )
  bbbart | May 30, 2015 |
Douglas Adams is one of my favorite authors. I absolutely love the Hitchhikers series. But, this book... This Dirk Gently series is complete garbage. It's very disappointing. I really wanted to like this series, but I just can't. And to think, they actually made a British TV series out of these books. So sad.

I distinctly remember when I first read this book. The wife and I waited in line at the bookstore, in 1989. We both got a copy, because there was no fucking way I was going to wait for her to finish, even though it only took her a couple hours. About two chapters into my book, I turned to her and asked, "What the fuck is this book about?"

"Hell if I know," she said. By that time she was on the last few pages, and still didn't have a clue what was going on.

The book starts out about an airport that explodes for no apparent reason. It was an interesting set-up. But then that part of the story is completely set aside, once Dirk Gently is introduced. You would think that once the titular character shows up, the story would really get going. But no. It drags.

It turns out that the best part of this book is Dirk's refrigerator. And his couch. Both are fascinating. But, the characters, or the actual story? Not so much. So, fuck Dirk's refrigerator in its dirty asshole. Preferably, on his fucked up couch. ( )
  gecizzle | Mar 5, 2015 |

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Adams, Douglas NoëlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McLean, WilsonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jane
It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on Earth has ever produced the expression "as pretty as an airport".

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671742515, Mass Market Paperback)

When a passenger check-in desk at London's Heathrow Airport disappears in a ball of orange flame, the explosion is deemed an act of God. But which god, wonders holistic detective Dirk Gently? What god would be hanging around Heathrow trying to catch the 3:37 to Oslo? And what has this to do with Dirk's latest--and late-- client, found only this morning with his head revolving atop the hit record "Hot Potato"? Amid the hostile attentions of a stray eagle and the trauma of a very dirty refrigerator, super-sleuth Dirk Gently will once again solve the mysteries of the universe...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:57 -0400)

After a Heathrow Airport ticket counter explodes, intergalactic sleuth Dirk Gently finds himself up against a heavenly host of foes-- from the IRA to the Norse Gods.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible