The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by…

The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (original 1988; edition 1988)

by Douglas Adams

Member:StephenBarkley
Title:The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul
Authors:Douglas Adams
Info:Toronto : Stoddart, 1988.
Collections:Your library, @Home
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, Science Fiction, Humour

The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams (Author) (1988)

1001 (33) 1001 books (31) 20th century (42) British (86) comedy (123) detective (118) Dirk Gently (218) Douglas Adams (77) ebook (38) English (34) fantasy (481) fiction (1,011) funny (32) gods (31) hardcover (52) humor (980) mystery (223) mythology (73) Norse mythology (34) novel (125) own (53) paperback (45) read (169) satire (37) science fiction (1,022) series (67) sf (131) sff (68) to-read (53) unread (53)

English (65)  Italian (1)  All languages (66)
This is the second Dirk Gently novel. I wasn't greatly taken with the first one, and this is one is in my view worse. There is the basis of a good and amusing idea with Norse gods coming down to 20th century Earth as ordinary mortals, though it is rather buried under long passages that are slightly amusing but also, in my view, rather irritating and the whole plot takes a long time to emerge properly. I felt little but relief when I got to the end of this. ( )
  john257hopper | Mar 14, 2014 |
Tea-Time definitely offers a much subtler side of Adam's humor, sometimes even at the expense of the slow trudging story line. Though, I believe that the shortcomings of the 'conventional' side of the plot (so to speak) is, if not preferable, at least acceptable as that never really seems to be the focus anyway. Dirk Gently is more of a vessel than anything, and as a vessel he performs remarkably. I felt as though Tea-Time was worth the Tea-Time it took to read simply because of the way it showcased Adams' dynamics and a quitter, but still very enjoyable humorous twinge.
  Buccellato | Jan 24, 2014 |
I've always enjoyed Douglas Adams' work and "The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul" was no exception. This is the second (and final completed book) in the Dirk Gently Holistic Detective Agency series.I didn't quite like it as much as the predecessor, which had a tighter plot.

The book is filled with great lines and weird connections between seemingly random things. It starts with an airline passenger trying to get a ticket back to Norway when the airport explodes into a ball of flame (without killing anyone.) To say more would spoil some of Adams' twists and turns, of which there are plenty.

I found this book to be both amusing and entertaining. Adams' brand of humor is right up my alley and I found myself chuckling throughout it. ( )
  amerynth | Jan 15, 2014 |
The Comedy is less frenetic than the "Hitch Hiker's Guide", but deeper. Dirk Gently has a good feel for we disorganized people. Thor is much better handled here than in the Marvel Universe. You'll never feel the same about streetlights after this!
read it three times. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Nov 11, 2013 |
Entertaining and witty adventure fantasy. ( )
  nlgeorge | Sep 29, 2013 |

Adams, DouglasAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Adams, Douglas NoëlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McLean, WilsonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jane
It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on Earth has ever produced the phrase, "As pretty as an airport."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671742515, Mass Market Paperback)

When a passenger check-in desk at London's Heathrow Airport disappears in a ball of orange flame, the explosion is deemed an act of God. But which god, wonders holistic detective Dirk Gently? What god would be hanging around Heathrow trying to catch the 3:37 to Oslo? And what has this to do with Dirk's latest--and late-- client, found only this morning with his head revolving atop the hit record "Hot Potato"? Amid the hostile attentions of a stray eagle and the trauma of a very dirty refrigerator, super-sleuth Dirk Gently will once again solve the mysteries of the universe...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:35 -0400)

After a Heathrow Airport ticket counter explodes, intergalactic sleuth Dirk Gently finds himself up against a heavenly host of foes-- from the IRA to the Norse Gods.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,572,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible