The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by…

The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (original 1988; edition 1991)

by Douglas Adams

9,20377325 (3.85)154
Member:Annegreeth
Title:The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul
Authors:Douglas Adams
Info:Pocket Books (1991), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages

The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams (1988)

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams (fichtennadel)
    Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman (persky)
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (MyriadBooks)
    Good Omens by Terry Pratchett (kale.dyer)
    kale.dyer: British humor and modern approach to myths.
    The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More of the Norse gods intruding on modern society.
    Hogfather by Terry Pratchett (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Tea-Time, "Te-ah-tim-eh;" old gods, new jobs...

English (76)  Italian (1)  All languages (77)
The Dirk Gently books loosely follow the private (“holistic”) detective Dirk Gently, but honestly he’s just one of a group of characters. That’s the great thing about Douglas Adams: you don’t get a story resolving around one heroic main character; everyone is the protagonist in their own personal story. I can’t even explain what the plot of these books. They’re complicated and full of coincidence, and eventually resolve themselves into a story, if not necessarily a plot.

I didn't find this one quite as engaging as the first, but then again, I'd say the same thing about Hitchhikers. ( )
  Andibook | Jun 14, 2016 |
This is not one of Adams’ best. I sincerely hope it’s his worst because if there is a worse novel by him out there, it must be atrocious.

An explosion at an airport leads to the involvement of the world’s unfunniest detective on a barely coherent case that consists, as usual with Dirk Gently, of him doing absolutely nothing. I was going to write “and the inevitable solution of the case” but I can’t even remember there being a solution. I didn’t even care by the end.

By this point in the author’s life, it seems Adams had used up all his humour. Much of what passes as humorous is fairly banal. I think I saw something funny once but I’ve now forgotten which page it was on so you’ll just have to dig for it yourself.

I think this is such a shame. Adams was a comic genius and one of the most original comic thinkers that the UK produced in the 20th century. The original Dirk Gently novel had some memorable moments, but the sequel is, as sequels so often are, only useful insofar as it makes the original look good. Knowing Adams, that may have been the point.

If you’re not an Adams fan, I wouldn’t bother with this. There are a lot of better books out there. If you are an Adams fan, I wouldn’t bother either. There are a lot of better books by Adams out there. ( )
  arukiyomi | Jun 10, 2016 |
Dirk Gently of the Holistic Detective Agency is hired by a man to whom he must present himself at an ungodly hour of the morning. Dirk is a slovenly layabout and decides to appear at a more reasonable time of day but when he does, the residence of his client is swarming with police, and his client is dead. At approximately the same time, Kate is hospitalized because of an encounter with a blast of unknown origin at an airport. These events come together to form an adventure with the Norse Gods Thor and Odin. Farfetched certainly, but it is rollicking good fun that left me laughing. Literature for the ages it is not but somehow it made the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die List.
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
Hugely fun book with some mythology thrown into the Dirk Gently mix. ( )
  kale.dyer | May 17, 2016 |
Another car-trip audiobook. Adams just never quite does it for me. I see that it's funny, and sometimes it even genuinely makes me laugh, but on the whole I just don't click with it. I did enjoy this (and I like the Dirk Gently books more than I ever did the Hitchhiker's books), and I'm glad I listened to it. Some things are just not my kind of nonsense, I guess. ( )
1 vote lycomayflower | Feb 1, 2016 |

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Adams, Douglas NoëlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McLean, WilsonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jane
It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on Earth has ever produced the expression "as pretty as an airport".

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671742515, Mass Market Paperback)

When a passenger check-in desk at London's Heathrow Airport disappears in a ball of orange flame, the explosion is deemed an act of God. But which god, wonders holistic detective Dirk Gently? What god would be hanging around Heathrow trying to catch the 3:37 to Oslo? And what has this to do with Dirk's latest--and late-- client, found only this morning with his head revolving atop the hit record "Hot Potato"? Amid the hostile attentions of a stray eagle and the trauma of a very dirty refrigerator, super-sleuth Dirk Gently will once again solve the mysteries of the universe...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:57 -0400)

After a Heathrow Airport ticket counter explodes, intergalactic sleuth Dirk Gently finds himself up against a heavenly host of foes-- from the IRA to the Norse Gods.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,821,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible