The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by…

The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (original 1988; edition 1991)

by Douglas Adams

Member:paulmorriss
Title:The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul
Authors:Douglas Adams
Info:Pocket Books (1991), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages

The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams (1988)

English (95)  Italian (1)  All languages (96)
This is much better Mr. Adams. Much better.

At first I was a bit ticked-off to find out that the to be continued ending of 'Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency' was a complete and utter lie, none of the flapping loose ends of that book were tied up in this one. Except perhaps the one about the secretary.

Except she's the biggest loose end in this one. Agggg, so frustrating.

I think in certain moods and in certain times my mind is too linear, or practical, or something to appreciate the oddball lunacy of Adams' writing. Happily, even with the above issues, I enjoyed this one. Many of the reviewers seem to disagree with me, but I liked that this one was generally more straight-forward and is in possession of something approaching a conventional plot structure.

Gently is still an ass, but I really had to sympathize with him about his refrigerator problems. Something like that really can sneak up on you. Now that I've actually read the two complete Gently novels, I'll have to reread the 'Salmon of Doubt', as I suspect a lot of it went over my head.

Dirk Gently

Next: 'The Salmon of Doubt'

Previous: 'Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
This was fun! Adams's wry humor is still pretty funny, and the only thing that feels really dated about the story is the lack of cell phones. I was actually reminded a lot of [American Gods], thanks to one of the major plot threads. ( )
  lavaturtle | Jan 25, 2019 |
I’ve really enjoyed the first book, [b:Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency|365|Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (Dirk Gently #1)|Douglas Adams|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1404697381s/365.jpg|1042123], gave it 5 stars, therefore I expected that the second one will be as much fun as the first. I was disappointed. Don’t get me wrong: the book still has a lot of jokes and unexpected twists but it looked to me as the ‘let’s repeat the best part of the first one’.
This time we deal with Norse gods. This maybe was the reason I dropped the rating as well – nowadays there are quite a lot of books playing with Odin or Thor or Loki or some combination of them and/or other gods. Truth to be told, there weren’t as many in the days this book was written (1988), but I judge it not as an early attempt but atemporary and it loses to say [b:American Gods|30165203|American Gods|Neil Gaiman|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1462924585s/30165203.jpg|1970226], published in 2001.
Another thing I disliked is that the “revelation” is make mystery novel’s like in the very last pages and it links everything together, which leads to an abrupt stop and it too much circles around the protagonists, instead of having him on its orbit.
Good read but not great.
  Oleksandr_Zholud | Jan 9, 2019 |
Leuk om te lezen, maar verder...

Net als het andere deel meer een boek in de categorie 'GAAP''.

Jammer, want [a:Douglas Adams|4|Douglas Adams|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1189120061p2/4.jpg] anders serie is wel een groot succes. ( )
  EdwinKort | Nov 6, 2018 |
I hate lengthy descriptions. Once descriptive or expositive text goes past a few sentences, I tend to start skimming. It helps that Douglas Adams puts most of his humor into those parts, but still, I have to admit to doing a fair bit of skimming in the early parts of this one.

Once we finally got to some action, I did get hooked in, but the plot wanders off from time to time. There's a good deal of set up with the mysterious boy in the murdered client's house; and then, poof, you never see or hear about him again.

The ending reminded me of the accusation thrown at the Nick and Nora characters in the movie "Murder by Death": the last-minute introduction of withheld information so as to wrap up the end in a surprise that manages to be rather dissatisfying.

So, the opening and ending are the weakest parts. In between is Adams's trademark humor and quirky characters, which was very definitely enjoyable and worth a read. If you're into that sort of thing.

Enough reviews said positive things that I'm letting myself complain more than usual, just to point out the drawbacks. That said, I'll probably eventually reread it. ( )
  jjLitke | Sep 21, 2018 |
For Jane
It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on Earth has ever produced the expression "as pretty as an airport".

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671742515, Mass Market Paperback)

When a passenger check-in desk at London's Heathrow Airport disappears in a ball of orange flame, the explosion is deemed an act of God. But which god, wonders holistic detective Dirk Gently? What god would be hanging around Heathrow trying to catch the 3:37 to Oslo? And what has this to do with Dirk's latest--and late-- client, found only this morning with his head revolving atop the hit record "Hot Potato"? Amid the hostile attentions of a stray eagle and the trauma of a very dirty refrigerator, super-sleuth Dirk Gently will once again solve the mysteries of the universe...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:57 -0400)

After a Heathrow Airport ticket counter explodes, intergalactic sleuth Dirk Gently finds himself up against a heavenly host of foes-- from the IRA to the Norse Gods.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,315,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible