The Other Side by Jacqueline Woodson

The Other Side

by Jacqueline Woodson

Other authors: Earl B. Lewis (Illustrator)

I use this book for questioning as the author has created a detailed story that many student may not know about now. I would be able to ask questions regarding the story before, during, and after the book. I would use this book for 1st - 3rd.
  mhenderson93 | Aug 3, 2017 |
This book is about the two girl who were neighbor and want to become friend but because of their skin color, the only place they can talk to each other is on the fence. I like this book because it teach us how we can be friend with anybody no matter how different they are to us and will use it on my classroom to help teach students to be more open to the others. It is suitable for grade 4th to seven.
  HsaRay | Apr 12, 2017 |
It's about two girls, one black and one white that want to become friends, but there is a fence between the yards. They would sit on the fence everyday over the summer. I like this book because it really make you feel and think. These two kids came up with a way to be friends without getting in trouble with their mom. I would use this book in my classroom because i want my students to know that you can be friends with anyone no matter what their color of their skin. This book is good for third or fourth grade. ( )
  Cassandra.k | Apr 2, 2017 |
Genre: Historical Fiction
Media: Watercolor
Age Appropriateness: primary, intermediate
Review: This book is about two young girls that are black and white that live on opposite sides of the fence. They are both told by their mom that they cannot cross this fence that is the line between where blacks live and whites live. Over the course of the book the two girls finally start talking and instead of crossing the fence they decide to sit on the fence because their moms never said they couldn't do it. The two girls in the end become best of friends.
Critique: This is a good historical fiction because it talks about what segregation looks like even if it is mild through both perspectives which allows the characters to be relatable. It is also historical fiction because it shows how powerful segregation is but how powerful caring for others despite their color is.
  Kmacuk15 | Mar 23, 2017 |
Two girls, one black and one white, are curious about each other in a time when it is not safe for them to be friends, so their parents think. Over the summer they work up the courage to tear the fences down between black and white.
  annereid1 | Mar 20, 2017 |

Jacqueline Woodsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lewis, Earl B.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Follows the story of two girls who become friends in a very difficult time. This happens during segregation in a small town. The girls use their power to try and change things.

Clover's mom says it isn't safe to cross the fence that segregates their African-American side of town from the white side where Anna lives. But the two girls strike up a friendship, and get around the grown-ups' rules by sitting on top of the fence together.

With the addition of a brand-new author's note, this special edition celebrates the tenth anniversary of this classic book. As always, Woodson moves readers with her lyrical narrative, and E. B. Lewis's amazing talent shines in his gorgeous watercolor illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:18 -0400)

Two girls, one white and one black, gradually get to know each other as they sit on the fence that divides their town.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,117,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible