The Other Side by Jacqueline Woodson

The Other Side (edition 2001)

by Jacqueline Woodson, E. B. Lewis (Illustrator)

Member:abarnes012892
Title:The Other Side
Authors:Jacqueline Woodson
Other authors:E. B. Lewis (Illustrator)
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2001), Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:K-3, easy, multicultural

The Other Side by Jacqueline Woodson

Recently added byPriaWalker, BrandieD, hhilse1, dluna1, aphelp6, Jmader2, private library, adyer4, rlyon2, tessaellis123

I loved this book. This is the story of two little girls, one black and one white, whose houses are separated by a fence. Both of their parents told them that they were not allowed to go over the fence. The girls spent weeks observing each other and not saying anything. Eventually, thy communicated and spent their time sitting on the fence with each other. I liked this book because it shows how pure children are. These girls did not understand why they were separated by the fence. They just wanted to be friends. This book shows that skin color does not matter when it comes to making new friends. ( )
  PriaWalker | Feb 27, 2017 |
This story is heartfelt, and focuses on the issues between whites and blacks during the days before the civil rights movement. This book is about two young girls who are separated not only by color, but by a fence that splits the town in half. On one side of the fence lives Clover, a young black girl who is told by her mother, "not to go on the other side of that fence". Clover is intrigued by another young girl who she sees sitting on the fence throughout the story. This girl is always by herself and seems lonely, and this inspires Clover to seek out a meeting with this strange white girl who sits and plays in the rain. This is a great book, and the subtle metaphors, accompanied by beautiful illustrations, help to create a thought provoking think aloud. I would recommend this book for second grade through fifth. ( )
  KMG2002 | Feb 21, 2017 |
I liked this book for three reasons. The first reason is that I liked the characters and thought that they were believable. The author used appropriate language and illustrations to make the characters seem like they were from the civil right movement. The second reason I liked this book is because the point of view also contributed to the authenticity of the book. Making the book in the African American girl's point of view added emotion and tone to the book, which made the story seem so real. The third reason I liked the book was because the plot made the story so versatile. The book was about two little girls of different skin colors who become friends. This makes the book suitable for younger children who may not understand the symbolism of the fence or other aspects of the book. The story could still be used to teach younger children to not treat others differently because of skin color. But, since the book also has a lot of symbolism it could be used for older children who know about the civil rights movement and what the fence stands for. Since this book is so versatile, it is hard to say what the message of the story maybe. The message would depend on the audience. Older children would see that the book represents change due to the comment made by Annie at the end of the book saying how the fence will be knocked down. Their friendship and the fence being knocked down resembles the change happening during the civil rights movement. ( )
  hhilse1 | Feb 16, 2017 |
I enjoyed reading this book for two reasons. One was because the story was beautifully told and allowed young children to understand what life was like during this time period. The story is about one African American girl and one white girl who are separated by a white picket fence. Both of their mothers tell them not to go over the fence because it is dangerous on the other side. The two girls are very curious about one another and are constantly looking to see what the other is doing. This story takes place during the 40s-60s time period (not specified) and the young girls are told that they cannot be friends because "that's just the way it's always been." I think this story is a great way for children to gain a better understanding of segregation and its impact on people's lives during this time period. The second reason I enjoyed this book was because the illustrations were absolutely beautiful. E.B. Lewis is incredibly talented and his use of watercolors really bring the story to life. He accurately portrayed the young girls' emotions and body language throughout the story. The main idea of this story is acceptance, friendship, empathy and understanding. Overall, this book is a great read and readers of all ages can take something away from the book's message. ( )
  dluna1 | Feb 16, 2017 |
In my opinion, this book was nice and refreshing to read. It made me think back on times when I was child, making new friends, and playing outside.
There are many different messages that one can pull from this book. One being that it doesn’t matter who you are friends with because we are all equal. I would use this book in my classroom during a lesson on the Civil Rights movement.
Woodsen uses the fence in the book as a symbol for segregation. At the end of the book the characters in the book are discussing how “one day someone is going to come along and know this old fence down”. I think this was a great way for Woodsen to end the story because it makes the reader connect to real life and how things have changed. She also keeps the readers engaged by leading up to the moment that the two characters, Clover and Annie, in the book meet. For example, she develops Clover’s character showing the curiosity that she has about Annie. I also like that this book is great for all ages. Teachers can use this for a complex lesson plan for 5th grade as a history lesson or they could use it to teach friendship in Kindergarten or 1st grade. ( )
  aphelp6 | Feb 15, 2017 |

Jacqueline Woodsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lewis, Earl B.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Follows the story of two girls who become friends in a very difficult time. This happens during segregation in a small town. The girls use their power to try and change things.

Clover's mom says it isn't safe to cross the fence that segregates their African-American side of town from the white side where Anna lives. But the two girls strike up a friendship, and get around the grown-ups' rules by sitting on top of the fence together.

With the addition of a brand-new author's note, this special edition celebrates the tenth anniversary of this classic book. As always, Woodson moves readers with her lyrical narrative, and E. B. Lewis's amazing talent shines in his gorgeous watercolor illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:18 -0400)

Two girls, one white and one black, gradually get to know each other as they sit on the fence that divides their town.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,644,024 books! | Top bar: Always visible