The Other Side by Jacqueline Woodson

The Other Side (edition 2001)

by Jacqueline Woodson, E. B. Lewis (Illustrator)

913None9,578 (4.47)5
Member:abarnes012892
Title:The Other Side
Authors:Jacqueline Woodson
Other authors:E. B. Lewis (Illustrator)
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2001), Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:K-3, easy, multicultural

The Other Side by Jacqueline Woodson

A fence that seprates the blacks and the whites
PCL
  LindseyGreenlaw | Mar 22, 2014 |
The Other Side tells the story of two girls who live just a fence apart from one another but cannot play together due to the color of their skin. The girls do not understand why and in the end they decide to break all rules because they want to just be friends.
  alishablaire | Mar 18, 2014 |
Overall, I enjoyed this story and think it’s a good topic for young children to read about. The first reason I liked the story was because of the plot. The story approaches a delicate subject in an appropriate manner. The story shows how big of an issue segregation was in this country. For instance, the long, long fence that separates the town based on the color of their residents skin. Another reason I enjoyed this topic was because of the two main characters. I’m referring to the two girls who you see develop into good friends along the way. I really enjoyed the part where the two girls sit on the fence all day long and get to know each other. The only reason I didn’t like the book was because of the illustrations. The quality of them wasn’t the issue but I wish there were more color. Especially towards the end of the story when the girls were all getting along and becoming friends. To be clear, the illustrations were in color, but not vibrant or bright colors which I feel would’ve helped. The main message I took from this story was friendship. How you can’t judge a person based on the color of their skin, but by who they’re as a person and how they treat you. ( )
  tricha11 | Mar 4, 2014 |
I enjoyed reading this story very much. I liked the symbolism of the fence dividing the white side of town from the black side of town. I also enjoyed the illustrations of this story. They enhanced the story very much. I especially like the illustration from when the two girls were in town with their mothers. It showed the people walking around and looking straight forward not paying much attention to what was going on around them. The two girls were shown holding their mothers hands but looking back at each other. I found this very compelling because it shows the child-like heart that does not see color. The main idea of this novel is friendship. ( )
  mingra2 | Mar 3, 2014 |
This is a very touching story of two girls whose homes are separated by a fence. One girl is white and the other is black and they have both been told not to go to the other side. But, as one points out, nobody ever said anything about sitting on top which they do together. Although hesitant at first, they become friends and hope for the day that the fence will be torn down.
  Boockk | Mar 3, 2014 |

Follows the story of two girls who become friends in a very difficult time. This happens during segregation in a small town. The girls use their power to try and change things.

Clover's mom says it isn't safe to cross the fence that segregates their African-American side of town from the white side where Anna lives. But the two girls strike up a friendship, and get around the grown-ups' rules by sitting on top of the fence together.

With the addition of a brand-new author's note, this special edition celebrates the tenth anniversary of this classic book. As always, Woodson moves readers with her lyrical narrative, and E. B. Lewis's amazing talent shines in his gorgeous watercolor illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:37 -0400)

Two girls, one white and one black, gradually get to know each other as they sit on the fence that divides their town.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,486,544 books! | Top bar: Always visible