The Other Side by Jacqueline Woodson

The Other Side (edition 2001)

by Jacqueline Woodson, E. B. Lewis (Illustrator)

Title:The Other Side
Authors:Jacqueline Woodson
Other authors:E. B. Lewis (Illustrator)
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2001), Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:K-3, easy, multicultural

The Other Side by Jacqueline Woodson

RI.3.1 Ask and answer questions to demonstrate understanding of a text, referring explicitly to the text as the basis for the answers.

1) Hand out a worksheet that has a list of questions about the story before reading the book.
2)Tell Children about the book
3) Read the book, stopping every few pages to allow the children to answer questions as the answers surface in the book.
4)Finish book
5)Put children in groups; instruct them to form their own questions about the story and let their classmates answer them.
  tiffanyturner | Oct 23, 2016 |
The Other Side is a good book to read for all ages. It can teach strong morals and shows an accurate representation of how the real world can be when it comes to segregation and friendship. ( )
  Jdean12 | Oct 20, 2016 |
Just like Pink and Say, I believe that this book is a great way to show my students that we are all the same, regardless of race, especially because this story is through the eyes of children. ( )
  laurenkt | Oct 20, 2016 |
Loved everything about this book. Would be awesome to see in a movie. ( )
  danyaa | Oct 20, 2016 |
In my opinion this is a fantastic book. First, I liked the book because the illustrations really fit the written text. When I viewed the pictures, they matched up to what my image of the story was. When the author had said "they were divided by a fence", I pictured a wooden, brown fence, and that's exactly what was on the page. In addition, this book caused suspense as to whether either girl, the White girl or African American girl, were going to go against their parents and play on the opposite side of the fence. The message of this story is that you should not let skin color determine one's friendship. ( )
  vziolk1 | Sep 13, 2016 |

Follows the story of two girls who become friends in a very difficult time. This happens during segregation in a small town. The girls use their power to try and change things.

Clover's mom says it isn't safe to cross the fence that segregates their African-American side of town from the white side where Anna lives. But the two girls strike up a friendship, and get around the grown-ups' rules by sitting on top of the fence together.

With the addition of a brand-new author's note, this special edition celebrates the tenth anniversary of this classic book. As always, Woodson moves readers with her lyrical narrative, and E. B. Lewis's amazing talent shines in his gorgeous watercolor illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:18 -0400)

Two girls, one white and one black, gradually get to know each other as they sit on the fence that divides their town.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,742,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible