The Other Side by Jacqueline Woodson

The Other Side (edition 2001)

by Jacqueline Woodson, E. B. Lewis (Illustrator)

Member:ashoemak
Title:The Other Side
Authors:Jacqueline Woodson
Other authors:E. B. Lewis (Illustrator)
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2001), Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:K-3, Friendship, Easy, Multicultural

The Other Side by Jacqueline Woodson

Recently added byBrandieD, hhilse1, dluna1, aphelp6, Jmader2, private library, adyer4, rlyon2, tessaellis123, KMG2002

I liked this book for three reasons. The first reason is that I liked the characters and thought that they were believable. The author used appropriate language and illustrations to make the characters seem like they were from the civil right movement. The second reason I liked this book is because the point of view also contributed to the authenticity of the book. Making the book in the African American girl's point of view added emotion and tone to the book, which made the story seem so real. The third reason I liked the book was because the plot made the story so versatile. The book was about two little girls of different skin colors who become friends. This makes the book suitable for younger children who may not understand the symbolism of the fence or other aspects of the book. The story could still be used to teach younger children to not treat others differently because of skin color. But, since the book also has a lot of symbolism it could be used for older children who know about the civil rights movement and what the fence stands for. Since this book is so versatile, it is hard to say what the message of the story maybe. The message would depend on the audience. Older children would see that the book represents change due to the comment made by Annie at the end of the book saying how the fence will be knocked down. Their friendship and the fence being knocked down resembles the change happening during the civil rights movement. ( )
  hhilse1 | Feb 16, 2017 |
I enjoyed reading this book for two reasons. One was because the story was beautifully told and allowed young children to understand what life was like during this time period. The story is about one African American girl and one white girl who are separated by a white picket fence. Both of their mothers tell them not to go over the fence because it is dangerous on the other side. The two girls are very curious about one another and are constantly looking to see what the other is doing. This story takes place during the 40s-60s time period (not specified) and the young girls are told that they cannot be friends because "that's just the way it's always been." I think this story is a great way for children to gain a better understanding of segregation and its impact on people's lives during this time period. The second reason I enjoyed this book was because the illustrations were absolutely beautiful. E.B. Lewis is incredibly talented and his use of watercolors really bring the story to life. He accurately portrayed the young girls' emotions and body language throughout the story. The main idea of this story is acceptance, friendship, empathy and understanding. Overall, this book is a great read and readers of all ages can take something away from the book's message. ( )
  dluna1 | Feb 16, 2017 |
In my opinion, this book was nice and refreshing to read. It made me think back on times when I was child, making new friends, and playing outside.
There are many different messages that one can pull from this book. One being that it doesn’t matter who you are friends with because we are all equal. I would use this book in my classroom during a lesson on the Civil Rights movement.
Woodsen uses the fence in the book as a symbol for segregation. At the end of the book the characters in the book are discussing how “one day someone is going to come along and know this old fence down”. I think this was a great way for Woodsen to end the story because it makes the reader connect to real life and how things have changed. She also keeps the readers engaged by leading up to the moment that the two characters, Clover and Annie, in the book meet. For example, she develops Clover’s character showing the curiosity that she has about Annie. I also like that this book is great for all ages. Teachers can use this for a complex lesson plan for 5th grade as a history lesson or they could use it to teach friendship in Kindergarten or 1st grade. ( )
  aphelp6 | Feb 15, 2017 |
I really enjoyed reading through the perspective of an innocent African American child during a time when segregation was still present. The story is written in first person by the main character Clover. She goes about her young life, wondering why her Mama won't let her cross over the fence in her backyard. White people lived on the other side of the fence and she was very interested in the little white girl that lived back there. She always sees the little girl playing outside alone and wants to be friends with her. Eventually, Clover goes up to her and they become friends. It was surprising to her Mama at first that she was playing with a white girl but the girls didn't think anything of their differences. The story has a deep theme that I think would be hard for younger readers to understand. This would be a great resource to go along with a segregation unit. I highly recommend this book to others. ( )
  Jmader2 | Feb 13, 2017 |
I really liked this book because it offered so much more than just the words on the page. This book is about a girl named Clover. Clover seems lonely, and sees another girl next to her house on the other side of a fence. The girl is always playing and having fun, which makes Clover curious. However, Clover’s mom tells her not to go over the fence because it’s not safe. The fence divided the girls, but neither of them understood why. Finally, Clover is feeling brave and introduces herself to "that girl". The girl tells Clover her name is Annie, and they start a friendship by sitting on the fence, but not actually crossing the fence. The girls shortly realize that the fence (which represents segregation) should not be there at all. I like how this book pushes readers to think about the issues of race and segregation, and how children view things in different ways than adults. For example, when Clover’s mom tells her she can’t go over the fence, Clover doesn’t understand why she can’t cross the fence and play with Annie because she wasn’t judging the color of Annie’s skin, but instead watching how much fun she was having. I would definitely recommend this book and use it for my future classroom to help bring students of different races together. ( )
  adyer4 | Feb 13, 2017 |

Jacqueline Woodsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lewis, Earl B.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Follows the story of two girls who become friends in a very difficult time. This happens during segregation in a small town. The girls use their power to try and change things.

Clover's mom says it isn't safe to cross the fence that segregates their African-American side of town from the white side where Anna lives. But the two girls strike up a friendship, and get around the grown-ups' rules by sitting on top of the fence together.

With the addition of a brand-new author's note, this special edition celebrates the tenth anniversary of this classic book. As always, Woodson moves readers with her lyrical narrative, and E. B. Lewis's amazing talent shines in his gorgeous watercolor illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:18 -0400)

Two girls, one white and one black, gradually get to know each other as they sit on the fence that divides their town.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,449,903 books! | Top bar: Always visible