The Other Side by Jacqueline Woodson

The Other Side (edition 2001)

by Jacqueline Woodson, E. B. Lewis (Illustrator)

Member:ashoemak
Title:The Other Side
Authors:Jacqueline Woodson
Other authors:E. B. Lewis (Illustrator)
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2001), Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:K-3, Friendship, Easy, Multicultural

The Other Side by Jacqueline Woodson

The story is told from the perspective of a young African American girl who lives next door to a young white girl. The property between the girls' houses is separated between a large fence. Finally, the white girl talks to her neighbor and the girls become friends. They realize they are not as different as they thought and the fence diving them is silly. This is one of my favorite Jacqueline Woodson books. Although it is set in the 1950's, the story is still relevant in present time. ( )
  mferaci | Apr 9, 2015 |
I really liked this book for many reasons. The rich illustrations and use of colors allowed for the story to continue to be told throughout the pictures. The perspective it is written in allows the reader to see the absurdity of the two girls not being allowed to play together. The language that is used by the author creates a great flow for the reader but is also easy enough for younger readers to read and understand. The main idea of this story is that the color of your skin should not determine who you can be friends with, and that time is continuing to change the norms and stereotypes that have dictated the way we live our lives. ( )
  ehopki7 | Apr 5, 2015 |
I really liked this book for a couple of reasons. First, I liked the simplicity of the story. For example, the story revolved around a wooden fence between a black family and a white family. The simplicity of the story gave me the sense of innocence from the two young girls. In other words, they didn’t understand the “way things were” and why hesitated to talk to each other. It just goes to show that the innocent children do not see the differences in others, but rather just for who they are. Second, I loved the ending of the story. The book ended, “Someday somebody’s going to come along and knock this old fence down,”Annie said. And I nodded. “Yeah,” I said. “Someday.” This ending was such a clever way of showing the reader the connection between the fence and segregation. A fence that brought these two young girls together could create a beautiful friendship if it wasn't even there. The big idea of the story was to inform readers about segregation, in a subtle and simple way. This story wanted to show readers that these two young girls didn't understand why there was a fence separating the two. ( )
  CatalinaDiaz | Mar 31, 2015 |
I enjoyed reading this book for many reasons. First, I liked it because the theme of the story was about friendship. The characters in the story were very different and came from different backgrounds, but were similar in age. The illustrations in the story were very detailed and realistic, and I liked that. Each illustration correlated with the words and parts of the story. This book was based back during segregation but showed that whites and blacks could still be friends. This book was easy to read, and shared a powerful meaning. ( )
  Lwatso7 | Mar 23, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book. It provides students with a chance to look at issues of race and equality. The story is about a white family and a black family that are neighbors. The young girls from both of the families notice each other from afar, but never interact. Eventually, the young white girl realizes how silly it is that she does not know anything about the girl who lives next door. She goes to the fence and strikes up a conversation. This leads to the children from both families playing and breaking down racial barriers. The illustrations in this story are done beautifully. There is not a lot of facial features, but everything else is drawn with detail and precision. This book is a great way to start talking about race and civil rights with young children.
  akern3 | Mar 22, 2015 |

Follows the story of two girls who become friends in a very difficult time. This happens during segregation in a small town. The girls use their power to try and change things.

Clover's mom says it isn't safe to cross the fence that segregates their African-American side of town from the white side where Anna lives. But the two girls strike up a friendship, and get around the grown-ups' rules by sitting on top of the fence together.

With the addition of a brand-new author's note, this special edition celebrates the tenth anniversary of this classic book. As always, Woodson moves readers with her lyrical narrative, and E. B. Lewis's amazing talent shines in his gorgeous watercolor illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:37 -0400)

Two girls, one white and one black, gradually get to know each other as they sit on the fence that divides their town.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,601,568 books! | Top bar: Always visible