Viking 1: Odinn's Child: Odinn's…

Viking 1: Odinn's Child: Odinn's Child No. 1 (edition 2005)

by Tim Severin

Series: Viking (1)

Member:soliloquies
Title:Viking 1: Odinn's Child: Odinn's Child No. 1
Authors:Tim Severin
Info:Macmillan (2005), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:1/2
Tags:historical fiction, borrowed from floriferous

Odinn's Child: The Heroes of the North Live On (Viking Trilogy) (No. 1) by Tim Severin

“...this might be what Odinn was intending -- that I should be an honest chronicler of the Old Ways and the truth about the far-flung world of the Norsemen.”

Authentic is the word that springs to mind. It’s stitched together from sagas, as he tells us in his author’s note, and from the story set-up, with Odinn the Wanderer, the acquirer of knowledge, as his chosen god and patron, you can see the above is the aim: a universal look at the Norse world. I appreciate how trustworthy he is on the history, and when he uses the genuine saga-stuff as he does, there’s going to be enough tale. It goes from episode to episode, as he travels, which I enjoy – always new things on the horizon.

Want to mention a couple of things:

There’s a large uncanny content. Of our main, Thorgils, Erik the Red's Saga tells, “... there seemed to be something uncanny about him his whole life.” He has to do with seidr (as a true Odinn’s child), and besides that, there’s a lot of fun with things that go bump in the night. In a group this year I read The Saga of Grettir the Strong – luckily, as Grettir features in #2, and I went Grettir-crazy in the saga – and that had as much fetch or ghost activity as Severin includes. So, genuine to the mind of the times, and like I said, fun.

Great women. I’m tempted to attribute these to his faithfulness to the sagas too, since Grettir’s Saga had great women. The majority of Severin’s seem to be large-framed, ‘formidable’ and not necessarily presented as attractive; perhaps he has reason to think Norse women were built on this model (I wouldn’t put it past him to have measured the skeletons); at any rate, they were fully involved in the story in a way that… they aren’t always.

And real. He may not go into great depths with the characters, but I thought them often unusual and not the stock cast; there were several I liked or who interested me.

I look forward to the next, and not only for Grettir. ( )
  Jakujin | Aug 16, 2014 |
Really good book, thoroughly enjoyed it. Well researched and well written. Looking forward to picking up the others in the series. ( )
  Speesh | Mar 29, 2014 |
You can't fault the research, but the storytelling was poor. Abandoned. ( )
1 vote soliloquies | Nov 28, 2012 |
This is a well-researched book, but I found it a little repetitive and hard work in places. It was slightly annoying that the book ended just as the main character was on the next leg of his adventures, but I guess this is to make you buy the sequel. ( )
1 vote floriferous | Aug 29, 2012 |
I am a little devided when it comes to this book. The beginning I found to be very slow and repetitive. Thorgills descriptions of Vinland seem to be all the same. The stories he tells aren't that exciting and the characters that are protrayed in the book all seem to miss a certain amount of depth to make them believable.
The book really started accumulating some more 'narrative speed' after Thorgills description of the battle only to fall flat again when he flees from the monastery and meets Eochaid.
I don't know what to make of it. I am curious to find out how defender of the Old Ways Thorgills ends up as the White Christ monk Thangbrand in the beginning of the narrative, but I am hoping that the sequel to this book (Sworn Brothers) is much better, or I won't even bother to read the last part of the viking trilogy! ( )
  Moriquen | Jan 29, 2012 |

In 1001, the young child, Thorgils Leiffson, son of Leif the Lucky and Thorgunna, arrives on the shores of Greenland to be brought up by a young woman—Gudrid. Thorgils is a rootless character of quicksilver intelligence and adaptability. He has inherited his mother’s ability of second sight, and his mentors teach him the ancient ways and warn him of the invasion of the “White Christ” into the land of the “Old Gods.” Guided by a restless quest for adventure and the wanderlust of his favored god, Odinn, Thorgils’ fortunes will take him into worlds of unimaginable danger and discovery.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:20 -0400)

Set in an ancient Viking world full of brooding Norse mythology and bloodthirsty battles, this is the first volume in an epic historical fiction trilogy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,384,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible