No title (1992)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

The Christmas Mystery by Jostein Gaarder (Author) (1992)

English (22)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (24)
What a lovely little book - a reminder of what Christmas is (or should be) all about.

This book is centred around two stories: a child opening the doors in an advent calendar and the disappearance of a young girl many years earlier.

A small boy buys an old advent calendar - each day, another door is opened and a little more of the story is told. It can hardly be a surprise that we follow the Christmas story each day, but we also work through the mystery of a child (Elisabet) who vanished years earlier and follow her story also. Each chapter is another day, another door, another instalment of the Christmas story and another instalment of Elizabet's story.

I read it, just like that - each day I read the appropriate chapter, turning the book into my advent calendar. I'm not particularly religious, but I found it quite a nice way to lead into Christmas, to look at the story behind it rather than just the commercial gift giving frenzy.

It's a magical little book and could easily be read to a child as part of the lead up to Christmas, it is obviously religious, but not in a doctrinal manner, more about truth, hope and joy and what should be the Christian message. ( )
  Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |
A bit early to read Christmas stories, but I wanted to have read this book before sending it out on a journey again through BookCrossing.
I loved it. The Christmas story, a bit of magic, some Christian thoughts, all packed in an interesting story. One day in the Advent period means one part of the whole story. That is difficult for Joachim, trying to hide the story from his parents. How the story goes, both in present and in the story from the calendar, well that's something you'll have to read for yourself.

I liked it a lot, even though it may be 'only' a children's story. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Nov 14, 2014 |
This is an odd one to review, because... well, nothing Gaarder writes is ever simple, is it? It's a story within a story, an advent calendar within an advent calendar. A little boy called Joachim finds a handmade advent calendar in an old bookshop and takes it home. Every day when he opens the next door a folded piece of paper falls out, slowly telling the story of a little girl called Elisabet who runs away from a department store in the late 40s and ends up on a pilgrimage to Bethlehem. Each day the pilgrims, including shepherds, angels, sheep and the three Kings of Orient, run across countries - and across time - adding new figures to their ranks as they go, with the aim of reaching Bethlehem at the time of Jesus's birth. At the same time, there's an ongoing mystery about a grown-up Elisabet who's ALSO missing... Suffice to say that in classic Gaarder style, all is sort-of cleared up by the end, with a whopping side helping of BUT MAYBE...??

As you may know, I'm not remotely religious, but my Decembers at school as a kid were filled with nativity scenes and carols and colouring in pictures of the Three Wise Men, just like every other child, so I was mostly able to overlook the occasional heavy-handed religious moment and focus on the themes of peace and goodwill and general festivity. The arrival of an exuberant and rather unorthodox cherub called Impuriel definitely helped, as well as the fact that the chapters are short - about 7-11 pages - so it never got overwhelming. It became a lovely morning ritual throughout December, reading that day's chapter over breakfast, opening my own advent calendar at the same time as Joachim opened his! ( )
  elliepotten | Jan 15, 2014 |
While shopping for an Advent calendar in a Norwegian town, a young boy and his father discover a one-of-a-kind calendar in a bookshop. Joachim looks forward to opening each day's door to learn more about a little girl, Elisabet, and her companions who are on a journey across Europe and backwards through time to be present at Christ's birth in Bethlehem.

I easily read this book in a single day, but I think it would be more pleasurable to read a chapter a day throughout December leading up to Christmas. Some of the chapters become repetitive, a useful feature if you're reading the book over a 3 ½ week period but a flaw if you're reading it in a short period of time. Besides its obvious use for religious instruction during Advent, this book could also be used to introduce children to some of the events and key figures in European history. ( )
  cbl_tn | Dec 17, 2013 |
This book is best read as an Advent calendar: start it on December 1st and enjoy a chapter of this journey through "a stack of pancakes" one day at a time. ( )
  JenMDB | Dec 16, 2013 |

Gaarder, JosteinAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pujol Skjönhaug, AlexandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rokkan, ElizabethTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wells, RosemaryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
1. December

...måske var viserne blevet så trætte af at gå den samme vej år efter år, at de pludselig var begyndt at gå den anden vej rundt...

Det var midt i skumringstimen. Julegaderne var tændt, tykke snefnug dansede mellem lygterne. I gaderne myldrede det med mennesker.

Fifty years ago a girl disappeared from her home in Norway. She ran after a lamb and found herself travelling right across Europe to Palestine, and back through 2000 years to meet the Holy Family in Bethlehem. There she met angels, shepherds, wise men and other biblical characters who joined her on her pilgrimage; and she heard of many of the things that happened in the world in the last 2000 years. In present-day Norway, a boy acquires a strange old Advent calendar. Hidden in each of the windows is a tiny piece of paper. Little by little these pieces unfold the girl's story and as we learn what happened to her, another story is revealed - that of the strange old man who made the calender.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:35 -0400)

A startlingly original presentation of the Nativity story, woven into an enthralling and mysterious novel.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,740,577 books! | Top bar: Always visible