Cirko direktoriaus duktė: romanas by…

Cirko direktoriaus duktė: romanas (original 2001; edition 2007)

by Jostein Gaarder, I (I)

Member:ElectricAlice
Title:Cirko direktoriaus duktė: romanas
Authors:Jostein Gaarder
Other authors:I (I)
Info:Vilnius, Alma littera, 2007
Rating:*****
Tags:21st century, Norwegian, storytelling, writing, writers, circus, chess, murder

The Ringmaster's Daughter by Jostein Gaarder (2001)

English (12)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (16)
Second reads are strange. Particularly when they are about a decade apart. I still love Jostein´s writing but his content... His main character´s attitude to women rattles. And his attitude to people in general is rather too detached, which I can see my younger self loving. But while I still sympathy with how stories are the end of all of life for him, his complete disregard for human beings that he clearly understands SO well, comes off as creepy and psychopathic. If the character was not a grown man, I could maybe give him a little leeway but since his change of heart at the end is left incomplete and he´s almost fifty, it seems a bit unlikely that he will end up as someone I can think well off.

Anyway, it´s definitely worth reading if you are narratively inclined yourself, as the reflections on stories and storytelling are fascinating. One thing that he never seems to get that clearly, in his self-involved adoration, is that people who write are writers, and he himself is not superior for being able, in fact, being unable not to, come up with the plots and ideas for the stories but not to write. His feelings of superiority towards people who can actually TELL a story, gets rather annoying since THAT is the hardest part. I also found it quite strange that he never seemed very interested in any stories but the ones he made up, he mentions reading other books that those he inspired and even liking them but there is no love there. In fact, his early relationship to fiction seems to be born out of love but later it seems to feed a compulsion more than a passion.

askajnaiman | Jun 14, 2016 |
Deu ser el libre més gros que he llegit en catalá, va de un noi i després un home que s'inventa moltes i moltes histories, té masses idees pero poder escriure-les o fer-les pelicules el mateix, i a més a més com que no el ve en gana, així que les ven. Les seves idees son tan bones i la resta del món tan poc original que es fa ric fent-ho però es molt important que es mantingui en secret que el es el "autor" de totes les obres famoses dels ultims anys, aixi que quan començen les sospites... No m'enganyo, es un libre per a escritors i tampoc per tots, es un libre sobre la creativitat i a mi em va a agradar perque de petita jo era exactamente el mateix que el protagonista, començava unes tres noveles semanals i quan una casualment va a excedir las divuit pagines(molt més que ninguna abans) vaig decidir que la escriuria exclusivament i per un temps vaig a ser mig famosa entre les meves amigues i me vaig guanyar a una professora de llengua molt dura pero al final tampoc la vaig a acabar i vaig continuar tomant notes per histories que volia escriure i mai escrivint-les realment...

Finally figured out this is the same as "The Ringmaster´s daughter", or, well, i think it´s the second time I realise this (I insist this title is much better than the original). ( )
  askajnaiman | Jun 14, 2016 |
The cleverly told tale of a clever tale teller. Not as good as Sophie's World. (And all his books will be compared back to Sophie's World.)
Read feb 2004 ( )
  mbmackay | Nov 29, 2015 |

Evalangui | Aug 22, 2014 |

Evalangui | Aug 22, 2014 |

Jostein Gaarderprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Joustra, CarlaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pijttersen, LucyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My brain is seething.
... naar mijn mening is het nu zover gekomen - in intellectueel opzicht bedoel ik - dat men zich kan afvragen of het niet tijd is voor een kleine cultuurpauze, zodat men even kan blijven stilstaan bij wat er is bereikt en kan verwerken wat men heeft opgenomen.

Johan E. Mellbye,
volksvertegenwoordiger voor de Boerenpartij
2 mei 1927
Zich losmaken uit de wereld van de media en de cultuurinstructeurs is als het betreden van een andere, magische wereld. Alsof je opnieuw de wereld van de werkelijkheid binnenstapt.
De tijd van dromen is voorbij.

Havard Simensen, jurist en columnist,
Aftenposten, 18 augustus 2001

Panina Manina, a trapeze artist, falls and breaks her neck. As the ringmaster bends over her, he sees around her neck an amber charm—just like the one he gave his own child before she was swept away in a torrent 16 years earlier. This tale is narrated by Petter, a precocious child and a fantasist, and perhaps Jostein Gaarder’s most intriguing creation since Sophie. Petter makes his living selling stories and ideas to authors suffering from writer’s block. It’s a lucrative trade, but as he sits like a spider in the center of his web, Petter finds himself in a trap of his own making. Jostein Gaarder is the author of Sophie's World, a huge bestseller in over 40 countries.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:35 -0400)

Panina Manina, a circus trapeze artist, falls and breaks her neck. As the ringmaster bends over her he sees around her neck an amber charm, just like the one he gave his own child before she was swept away in a torrent when she was sixteen.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,262,970 books! | Top bar: Always visible