A Patriot's History of the United States by…

A Patriot's History of the United States

by Larry Schweikart, Michael Allen

Recently added byPeter.Kmiec, SolidJoys, beeworthy, agering, huckhound, kuddes59, private library, KJC.BOOKS, asderathos

Excellent history lesson!! All the things the left won't let them teach in school anymore! ( )
  hredwards | Aug 30, 2011 |
This book should be entitled A far right-wing history of the U.S. It makes no effort to be objective but relies on books with which the authors agree--all secondary sources, very little attempt at original research. In the earlier part of the book sometimes the authors agree with non-right-wing historians, but as we get nearer to the present it more and more sounds like unadultrated Fox News--totally biased, totally unbalanced. They even say thinga that George Bush admits are baseless--such as that Saddam Hussein had links to the 9'11 terrorists. But I did like that the authors blame Hoover for the Depression--which I grew up knowing. And they approve of Truman firing MacArthur, as I did when it happened. Anything good that happened when Clinton was president they give Reagan credit for--an irony when today the same crowd blames Obama for everything from Jan 20, 2009 on, and even for things that happened before that date. Not a good book and not recommended except for folk who want to see how biased some 'historians' can be. ( )
5 vote Schmerguls | Nov 1, 2010 |
Decent overview of US history from a politically conservative viewpoint. At times too biased, but a nice counterpoint to the traditionally liberal histories in the Beard/Zinn tradition. Awkward writing at times with transitions, but readable. ( )
  jkubecki | Oct 7, 2010 |
This volume should be required reading in U.S. high schools. The work is a corrective to the standards works that portray the U.S. as an unexceptional country and are overly biased against the U.S. The book is amply supplied with footnotes and takes issues with standard versions of history as currently and mistakenly presented in schools.

Progressivism is shown as the departure from the American tradition beginning with the Republican T.R. Roosevelt and the subversive Wilson, a Democrat.
1 vote gmicksmith | May 17, 2010 |
I wish I had had this in high school as my US History text!
1 vote | Steve777 | Feb 2, 2010 |

Larry Schweikartprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Allen, Michaelmain authorall editionsconfirmed

For the past three decades, many history professors have allowed their biases to distort the way America's past is taught. These intellectuals have searched for instances of racism, sexism, and bigotry in our history while downplaying the greatness of America's patriots and the achievements of "dead white men." As a result, more emphasis is placed on Harriet Tubman than on George Washington; more about the internment of Japanese Americans during World War II than about D-Day or Iwo Jima; more on the dangers we faced from Joseph McCarthy than those we faced from Josef Stalin. A Patriot's History of the United States corrects those doctrinaire biases. In this groundbreaking book, America's discovery, founding, and development are reexamined with an appreciation for the elements of public virtue, personal liberty, and private property that make this nation uniquely successful. This book offers a long-overdue acknowledgment of America's true and proud history.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,614,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible