Harlem (1997)

by Walter Dean Myers

Other authors: Christopher Myers (Illustrator)

A poem celebrating the people, sights, and sounds of Harlem.

With the stunning pages illustrated by his son Walter Dean Myers gives readers a very intimate and succinct history of Harlem. Written as a poem, it is part jazz, part blues, and completely amazing. ( )
  lisaladdvt | Jun 16, 2019 |
I expected to like this book more than I did. I loved the cover and anticipated a cohesive fusion of layered text and textures images. I still found the illustrations to be powerful and textured, but the text left me wanting. I know it provides reference and location to the pictures but I could not get into a rhythm with them. I didn't find a part I felt until the last few pages, which is too late for me. But the poem is about Harlem, and a history and heritage that is not mine and is not meant for me. It is to showcase and honor a famous neighborhood and its people.
I do think the images in the book can stand on their own, and I would love to see them in a special exhibit. ( )
  EMiMIB | Jun 14, 2019 |
Harlem by Walter Dean Myers illuminates a great story of the essence of Harlem. It provides insight on the culture that flowed through the Harlem streets. In this poetry book, Walter Dean Myers does an excellent job in portraying characteristics with realism and poise. I recommend this book for readers of all ages as it provides enlightenment that is beneficial for persons of all age groups.
  rrasco1 | Apr 9, 2018 |
A beautiful poem of vibrant vitality illustrated in captivating colors and cut-paper collages. We get taste of a neighborhood brimming over with life and love and music and happiness and heartache, one with smells and sounds of family, friends and neighbors.

Here's a good book that can be used to show how alive a community can be. The illustrations are as delightful as the poem is moving. They are made with ink, gouache and collage. Each page is like a stand-alone work of art, so this book makes for a stunning collection of art that deserves to be shared in a class. ( )
  AlbertPascal | Feb 10, 2018 |
Walter Dean Myers walks us through the history, beauty, and darkness of Harlem. One poem that is an ode to Harlem. Christopher Myers' illustrations reflect the journey through Harlem that we experience along with the poem. ( )
  tessayondorf | Jul 18, 2017 |

Walter Dean Myersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Myers, ChristopherIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my foster parents, Herbert and Florence Dean --W.D.M.

To Mom and Dad because I like you people --C.M.
They took to the road in Waycross, Georgia
Skipped over the tracks in East St. Louis
Took the bus from Holly Springs
Hitched a ride from Gee's Bend
Took the long way through Memphis
The third deck down from Trinidad
A wrench of heart from Goree Island
A wrench of heart from Goree Island
To a place called Harlem.

A poem celebrating the people, sights, and sounds of Harlem.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,672,761 books! | Top bar: Always visible