The Handknitter's Handbook by Montse Stanley

The Handknitter's Handbook (1986)

by Montse Stanley

There isn't one single question that you have about knitting that would not be covered in this book. It is unparalled for its historical coverage of knitting through the centuries and fascinating bits about knitting in different cultures, it's easy to follow diagrams, and it's seemingly endless bits of useful information.
With all knitting books, I suggest you take it home from your library first. But if you are past beginner and feel that you need to build a knitting library, this book is the one for you. Unfortunately, it is not as well known as some of the other books that are carried in book clubs, such as the almost useless Big Book of Knitting, which has techniques but then no diagrams or instructions, or the Ultimate Guide To Knitting which is a very lovely book to look at, but doesn't deserve the title "Ultimate" by any silly-putty stretch of the imagination because it includes very few techniques, tricks, or tips. This modestly wonderful book has languished unknown because so many people would see the much more flashier, newer books and grab them instead. This was written long before our current knitting revival, but still remains the most comprehensive book on the market. I thank the good Lord above the Memphis library was across from the knitting shop, or I'd never have seen it. I promptly went out and bought it. I use it more than any other book I own, aside from the Knitter's Handy Guide.
The best way to describe its format is that it is written very close to a textbook--it includes the diagram immediately after the descriptive text. If I ever took a full-fledged course on knitting, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the one book everyone would be required to buy, hands down.
If you are a newbie, then I suggest you pass on this for the time being and buy the Idiot's Guide to Knitting and Chrochet, another must have, esp for the beginner, and for the person the beginner will someday teach in the future. But put it on your wish list, and when you start wondering how to make a cheveron go to the left or the right, or why men in the Andes knit more than the women, or another perhaps easier way to make a loop while knitting, then this is the book for you. ( )
  RochesterKnittingGui | Apr 15, 2016 |
very comprehensive and well-organized. Easy to use. One of the better knitting references out there. The illustrations and instructions are clear, and there is plenty of cross-referencing throughout. I utilized this regularly when I was knitting more frequently. I don't knit as much anymore, but when I do, this book is very handy for refreshing my memory about various techniques that I'm hazy about or completely unfamiliar with. ( )
1 vote winteryvisions | Sep 5, 2008 |
Excellent book for teaching knitting or renewing skills. Also great for beginners
1 vote readtolive | Aug 10, 2008 |
An excellent reference book, very detailed with clear diagrams. ( )
  tsteed50 | Jan 24, 2008 |
Nice guidebook, as far as I can tell. I'm a beginning knitter but I think I can learn a lot from this book!
  Greenberry | Nov 18, 2007 |
Handknitting is a curiously cyclical activity. (Introduction)
First published in Great Britain as The Handknitter's Handbook, c. 1986. T.p. verso

The ultimate reference for knitters at every level -- step-by-step directions and detailed instructional illustrations cover every aspect of knitting know-how. Includes a special "help!" section for the inevitable mishaps, and shows how to correct errors.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:22 -0400)

This comprehensive guide provides all the information you need to knit beautiful items -- whether you're a novice or an advanced knitter. With clear instructions and detailed illustrations, this complete reference work is a must-have. For beginners, there is a special guide and lots of encouragement to practice and expand skills; the very experienced will be surprised at how much they can increase their knowledge of techniques!… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,886,189 books! | Top bar: Always visible