Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 1 (VIZBIG Edition) by…

Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 1 (VIZBIG Edition) (edition 2008)

by Nobuhiro Watsuki

Member:knitter_mom
Title:Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 1 (VIZBIG Edition)
Authors:Nobuhiro Watsuki
Info:VIZ Media LLC (2008), Edition: Original, Paperback, 584 pages
Collections:Non-Fiction Books for HS
Tags:graphic_novel, history

Rurouni Kenshin, VIZBIG Volume 1 by Nobuhiro Watsuki

Based on feudal system of medieval Japan
  knitter_mom | Dec 16, 2012 |
For American readers it may help to know that RuRouni Kenshin takes place in about the same time frame as the post Civil War era in the United States. If you have ever seen the movie The Last Samurai (with Ken Watanabe and Tom Cruise) that should give you an idea of what was happening in the history of Japan. (I am not saying that either this book or the movie are completely historically accurate).

The artwork for this series is outstanding. Well worth your time. I especially enjoyed the "bad guys" created by Nobuhiro Watsuki. Googly eyed giants reminiscent of Japanese deities, and creepy villains that look like they jumped out of Marvel Comics and Star Wars.

The story arc has enough plot and subplot to keep you engaged. I am very happy to have added this book to our family's ever growing graphic novel collection. ( )
  watertiger | Apr 8, 2011 |
I read quite a lot of graphic novels, but this was my first attempt at Manga. It was definitely readable, even though the sword-wielding type of literature is not my favorite. I'm not well-versed in Japanese history and can't vouch for those parts of the story, but I don't feel it distracts in any way. I'm willing to accept the probability of Nobuhiro Watsuki's universe and the characters within it. I was really surprised that there was so much humor in the book - at first glance it seemed like pure action - and I actually laughed out loud at some of the drawings. It really appeals to me that these uber-strong characters can sometimes fall of their butts and be complete asses without losing any respect. ( )
  -Eva- | Nov 17, 2009 |
I love this series. Kenshin is adorable and kick-ass. I also enjoy the stories of friendships and rivalries. The historical references are cool as well. All in all, I recommend this series if you're looking for a decent manga. ( )
  camarie | Aug 4, 2009 |

"A hundred and fifty years ago in Kyoto, amid the flames of revolution, there arose a warrior, an assassin of such ferocious power he was given the title Hitokiri: Manslayer. With his bloodstained blade, Hitokiri Battosai helped close the turbulent Bakumatsu period and end the reign of the shoguns, slashing open the way toward the progressive Meiji Era. Then he vanished, and with the flow of years became legend. In the 11th year of Meiji, in the middle of Tokyo, the tale begins. Himura Kenshin, a humble rurouni, or wandering swordsman, comes to the aid of Kamiya Kaoru, a young woman struggling to defend her father's school of swordsmanship against attacks by the infamous Hitokiri Battosai. But neither Kenshin nor Battosai are quite what they seem..."--Amazon.com.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,693,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible