Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs

Naked Lunch (1959)

by William S. Burroughs

Other authors: Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court (Contributor)

Junky by William S. Burroughs (calwakeel)
    Everything Is Permitted: The Making of Naked Lunch by Ira Silverberg (Sylak)
    Sylak: The making of the David Cronenberg film.
    Brief Interviews with Hideous Men by David Foster Wallace (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Equally nasty and disturbing and beautifully written
    Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh (discohijack)
    discohijack: Both written in a hazy vignette style, both tackle the subject of substance abuse.
    The 120 Days of Sodom by Marquis de Sade (Sylak)

English (85)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (88)

Glenn R --- Speak to us straight about your Lunch that’s bare
Twisted, dirty and anything but fair.
Your words like needles sticking in our veins
As you write of dopefiends, coke bugs and dames.

William B --- Rube, the word we use in this world is junk
You’ll hear straight without funny stuff or funk.
Read the damn book; I have nothing more to add
For embellishing perfection has never been a fad.

This is a one-of-a-kind novel. I'll be posting a review in the next week. Couldn't help myself with the rhyming couplets since Burroughs is at the extreme opposite end of the literary spectrum from Alexander Pope, to say the least.
  Glenn_Russell | Nov 13, 2018 |
Classic dystopian, postmodern 20th century novel by the "literary outlaw" William S. Burroughs. ( )
  piquant00 | Oct 20, 2018 |
I can't take it anymore. I actually tried to read more and more but I just give up. I must be stupid to not see how genius Burroughs is, sorry. I know many people liked it (HOW?) but I don't see anything pleasing about this book with no determined plot, just drug trips and disturbing events.
  Denicbt | Feb 5, 2018 |
This book represents for me one of those rare moments in which the film adaptation is better than the source material. ( )
  Magnus919 | Aug 19, 2017 |

Glenn R --- Speak to us straight about your Lunch that’s bare
Twisted, dirty and anything but fair.
Your words like needles sticking in our veins
As you write of dopefiends, coke bugs and dames.

William B --- Rube, the word we use in this world is junk
You’ll hear straight without funny stuff or funk.
Read the damn book; I have nothing more to add
For embellishing perfection has never been a fad.

1 vote GlennRussell | Feb 16, 2017 |

Burroughs, William S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Massachusetts Supreme Judicial CourtContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ballard, J. G.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meijsing, GeertenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meijsing, GeertenAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miles, BarryEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ulin, David L.Afterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I can feel the heat closing in, feel them out there making their moves, setting up their devil-doll stool pigeons, crooning over my spoon and dropper I throw away at Washington Square station, vault and turnstile and two flights down the iron stairs, catch an uptown A train.
As one judge said to another: Be just. And if you can't be just, be arbitrary.
"I studied neurology under Professor Fingerbottom in Vienna...and he knew every nerve in your body. Magnificent old thing...Came to a sticky end... His falling piles blew out the Duc de Ventre's Hispano Suiza and wrapped around the rear wheel. He was completely gutted, leaving an empty shell sitting there on the giraffe skin upholstery.... Even the eyes and brain went with a horrible schlupping sound.  The Duc de Ventre says he will carry that ghastly schlup to his mausoleum."
Fun fact: The ... edition ... published by France’s Olympia Press, misprinted the title. Burroughs had always intended to call the book simply Naked Lunch, but his editors added the article. The error was corrected in the first, 1962 American edition, but some later printings still included “the” in the title. http://flavorwire.com/231804/classic-...

Since its original publication in Paris in 1959, Naked Lunch has become one of the most important novels of the twentieth century. Exerting its influence on the relationship of art and obscenity, it is one of the books that redefined not just literature but American culture. For the Burroughs enthusiast and the neophyte, this volume—that contains final-draft typescripts, numerous unpublished contemporaneous writings by Burroughs, his own later introductions to the book, and his essay on psychoactive drugs—is a valuable and fresh experience of a novel that has lost none of its relevance or satirical bite.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:03 -0400)

Bill Lee, an addict and hustler, travels to Mexico and then Tangier in order to find easy access to drugs, and ends up in the Interzone, a bizarre fantasy world, in a commemorative edition that features restored text, archival material, Burroughs's own later introduction to the book, and his essay on psychoactive drugs.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,799,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible