Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs

Naked Lunch (original 1959; edition 2004)

by William S. Burroughs, James Grauerholz (Editor), Barry Miles (Editor)

Member:BannedBooksLibrary
Title:Naked Lunch
Authors:William S. Burroughs
Other authors:James Grauerholz (Editor), Barry Miles (Editor)
Info:Grove Press (2004), Paperback, 304 pages
Tags:Country: USA, Reason: Moral, Source: ALA, Category: Fiction

Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs (1959)

Junky by William S. Burroughs (calwakeel)
    Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh (discohijack)
    discohijack: Both written in a hazy vignette style, both tackle the subject of substance abuse.
    The 120 Days of Sodom by Marquis de Sade (Sylak)

English (84)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All (87)
I have this compulsion to read everything I get my hands on and that is the only reason I finished this book. ( )
  Aneris | Apr 22, 2017 |

Glenn R --- Speak to us straight about your Lunch that’s bare
Twisted, dirty and anything but fair.
Your words like needles sticking in our veins
As you write of dopefiends, coke bugs and dames.

William B --- Rube, the word we use in this world is junk
You’ll hear straight without funny stuff or funk.
Read the damn book; I have nothing more to add
For embellishing perfection has never been a fad.

This is a one-of-a-kind novel. I'll be posting a review in the next week. Couldn't help myself with the rhyming couplets since Burroughs is at the extreme opposite end of the literary spectrum from Alexander Pope, to say the least.
1 vote GlennRussell | Feb 16, 2017 |
I certainly remember reading this book, but I have no recollection of what the book was about. Such is memory.
  Tracy_Tomkowiak | Sep 14, 2016 |
Not really my thing, never really a big fan of the beat material. ( )
  kale.dyer | Jul 13, 2016 |
I read this my freshman year in college (1980) when I should have been reading books for my classes. It's a strange novel (no shock there), but very funny. The Dr. Benway character is hilarious. "I ever tell you about the time I performed an appendectomy with a rusty sardine can?"
1 vote Bill.Dawson | Apr 13, 2016 |

Meijsing, GeertenAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miles, BarryEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Supreme Court of MassachsettsContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ulin, David L.Afterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I can feel the heat closing in, feel them out there making their moves, setting up their devil-doll stool pigeons, crooning over my spoon and dropper I throw away at Washington Square station, vault and turnstile and two flights down the iron stairs, catch an uptown A train.
As one judge said to another: Be just. And if you can't be just, be arbitrary.
Fun fact: The ... edition ... published by France’s Olympia Press, misprinted the title. Burroughs had always intended to call the book simply Naked Lunch, but his editors added the article. The error was corrected in the first, 1962 American edition, but some later printings still included “the” in the title. http://flavorwire.com/231804/classic-...
This work is a special edition of the novel that also contains the DVD of the Cronenberg film adaptation. See the description on amazon.fr.

Since its original publication in Paris in 1959, Naked Lunch has become one of the most important novels of the twentieth century. Exerting its influence on the relationship of art and obscenity, it is one of the books that redefined not just literature but American culture. For the Burroughs enthusiast and the neophyte, this volume—that contains final-draft typescripts, numerous unpublished contemporaneous writings by Burroughs, his own later introductions to the book, and his essay on psychoactive drugs—is a valuable and fresh experience of a novel that has lost none of its relevance or satirical bite.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:03 -0400)

Exerting its influence on the work of authors like Thomas Pynchon, J. G. Ballard, and William Gibson, on the relationship of art and obscenity, and on the shape of music, film, and media generally, Naked lunch is one of the books that redefined not just literature but American culture. Reedited, Naked Lunch: it includes many editorial corrections and incorporates Burroughs notes on the text, several essays he wrote about the book, and an appendix of 20% all-new material and alternate drafts from the original, which predates the first published version.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,410,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible