With the Old Breed: The World War Two…

With the Old Breed: The World War Two Pacific Classic (Pacific TV Tie in) (original 1981; edition 2010)

by Eugene B Sledge

Member:Browzee
Title:With the Old Breed: The World War Two Pacific Classic (Pacific TV Tie in)
Authors:Eugene B Sledge
Info:Ebury Press (2010), Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Read 2013

With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by E.B. Sledge (Author) (1981)

Recently added bydah_sab, private library, Tabbut, gemtea
Legacy LibrariesGeorge C. Wallace

English (36)  Italian (1)  All languages (37)
What can I say? .. I hope that every politician or other invested person who finds themselves in the position of deciding whether to commit their fellow citizens to war or not reads this book first.

I salute Sledgehammer for all his sacrifices, and more for his courage and selfless insight in bringing this story to generations who can scarcely imagine what true kill-or-be-killed war entails.

And I note the lack of appeal to a higher power that Sledge exhibits in these pages. For me, it represented a stark contrast to the god-fueled righteousness that permeates so much of more recent war diaries (such as Thunder Run http://www.bookjetty.com/books/1402596405/thunder-run ). It really makes me worry that the insane religious bigots of all faiths have so much to answer for in the cause of war - and things are getting worse, not better. And that this trend is in such stark contrast to the generally positive evolution of humankind (see The Better Angels of Our Nature - http://www.bookjetty.com/books/1455839566/angels-nature-violence-declined ) ( )
  pratalife | Feb 9, 2014 |

pratalife | Feb 9, 2014 |
Excellent account of a WWII indiviuals experience in the Marines in boot camp and in the hellish campaigns of Peleliu and Okinawa. Provides an excellent insight into the fears, the anger, the desperation, and the unusual events and feelings that occur to a man under combat stress. Sledge writes with such neutrality and ease of access it makes it simple to follow yet makes one understand his feelings and the surroundings. One comes away feeling a taste of what he felt, and feeling for he and his mens plight at some of the strategic decisions made along with the anger and the futility of war. ( )
  Luftwaffe_Flak | Feb 4, 2014 |
Intense. Heartbreaking. Horrifying. Mind-boggling.

This book was quite a read.

Sledge’s descriptions of his experiences on Peleliu and Okinawa are incredibly honest and straightforward—there’s no sugarcoating or glorifying war. He puts emphasis on how miserable, ghastly and appalling the fighting and living conditions were, and how wasteful and tragic the immense loss of young lives was. His book is a striking demonstration of how “war is hell.”

Despite all the atrocious things he wrote about, he did have some warm, humorous and inspiring stories to share that were a good reminder that he and the other marines were all just young guys, and many of them were quite admirable and heroic.

I'm glad he was willing to share his (and the other marines') story so that what happened, what they accomplished and what they sacrificed will never be forgotten. ( )
  PencilStubs | Oct 11, 2013 |
As other reviewers have noted, this is one of the best descriptions of a battle field I have ever read. The picture Sledge paints of the mud and decaying bodies he dug foxholes in Okinawa will always stay with me when I think of the war in the Pacific. If you are looking for a ode to the absurdity of war, here it is.

The HBO series, The Pacific, used material adapted from this memoir. R. V. Burgin whose book Islands of the Damned was also used to make the series was a Corporal in Sledge's mortar squad and is mentioned several times in this work. ( )
  lamour | Jun 4, 2013 |

Sledge, E.B.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fussell, PaulIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hanson, Victor DavisIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McIlhenny, Walter S., Brig. Gen. USMC Res., (Ret.)Forewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The deaths ye died I have watched beside
and the lives ye led were mine

- Rudyard Kipling
In memory of Capt. Andrew A. Haldane, beloved company commander of K/3/5, and to the Old Breed
I enlisted in the Marine Corps on 3 December 1942 at Marion, Alabama.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0891419063, Paperback)

In The Wall Street Journal, Victor Davis Hanson named With the Old Breed one of the top five books on epic twentieth-century battles. Studs Terkel interviewed the author for his definitive oral history, The Good War. Now E. B. Sledge’s acclaimed first-person account of fighting at Peleliu and Okinawa returns to thrill, edify, and inspire a new generation.

An Alabama boy steeped in American history and enamored of such heroes as George Washington and Daniel Boone, Eugene B. Sledge became part of the war’s famous 1st Marine Division–3d Battalion, 5th Marines. Even after intense training, he was shocked to be thrown into the battle of Peleliu, where “the world was a nightmare of flashes, explosions, and snapping bullets.” By the time Sledge hit the hell of Okinawa, he was a combat vet, still filled with fear but no longer with panic.

Based on notes Sledge secretly kept in a copy of the New Testament, With the Old Breed captures with utter simplicity and searing honesty the experience of a soldier in the fierce Pacific Theater. Here is what saved, threatened, and changed his life. Here, too, is the story of how he learned to hate and kill–and came to love–his fellow man.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:44 -0400)

A former member of the First Marine Division gives a front line description of two World War II Pacific campaigns.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,649,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible