Neither Here nor There: Travels in Europe by…

Neither Here nor There: Travels in Europe (1992)

by Bill Bryson

Series: Bill Bryson's Travels (2)

English (81)  Norwegian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All (85)
Bill Bryson is the king of travel writing, with a turn of phrase that sticks in the memory long after reading. "Neither here nor there" has Bryson reminiscing about the time he spent travelling around Europe as a young man and then recounting his more recent experience around Europe.

One of the highlights of "Neither here nor there" is the introduction of Bryson's friend Stephen Katz, his travelling companion from days of yore. Katz makes a number of appearances throughout Bryson's oeuvre and I'm pleased to say that after I told my then girlfriend that Bryson's travel companion was Stephen Katz, she though Bryson was travelling around Europe with Cat Stevens, which I have to admit would be pretty cool.

Bryson has a gift of digging up obscure facts about the places he visits and while you have no idea whether television hosts in Sweden are forever being caught picking their nose on air, you enjoy reading about it nonetheless. ( )
  MiaCulpa | May 1, 2017 |
Funny enough but also superficial and a bit too easy. Bryson is a real tourist and not a very well informed one at that. He doesn't really get involved in local life. Expect a good laugh but little insight. ( )
  stef7sa | Jan 5, 2017 |
I am a Bill Bryson fan, and since I've traveled to a number of cities in Europe, I thought it might be interesting to see his observations. The key for me with Bryson is that he is so honest about his experiences. I have traveled enough to know that it is all at once delightful and sheer misery. Some places are wonderful, some depressing. So when Bryson talks about his experiences traveling alone, I can really relate. He always makes me laugh, sometimes out loud. His travel books are perfect for times in your life when you can't travel, but would love to escape for a while. I found the book delightful. ( )
  peggybr | Oct 10, 2016 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  Lunapilot | Jul 19, 2016 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  Lunapilot | Jul 19, 2016 |

Rinaldi, GiorgioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roberts, WilliamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rogde, IsakTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schalekamp, JeanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"William James describes a man who got the experience from laughing-gas; whenever he was under its influence, he knew the secret of the universe, but when he came to, he had forgotten it. At last, with immense effort, he wrote down the secret before the vision had faded. When completely recovered, he rushed to see what he had written. It was 'A smell of petroleum prevails throughout.'" [Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy]
to Cynthia
In winter Hammerfest is a thirty-hour ride by bus from Oslo, though why anyone would want to go there in winter is a question worth considering.
"We used to build civilizations.  Now we build shopping malls."
"I had a hangover you could sell to science..."

Like many of his generation, Bill Bryson backpacked across Europe in the early seventies -- in search of enlightenment, beer, and women. Twenty years later he decided to retrace the journey he undertook in the halcyon days of his youth. The result is Neither Here Nor There, an affectionate and riotously funny pilgrimage from the frozen wastes of Scandinavia to the chaotic tumult of Istanbul, with stops along the way in Europe's most diverting and historic locales. Like many of his generation, Bill Bryson backpacked across Europe in the early seventies--in search of enlightenment, beer, and women. Twenty years later he decided to retrace the journey he undertook in the halcyon days of his youth. The result is Neither Here Nor There, an affectionate and riotously funny pilgrimage from the frozen wastes of Scandinavia to the chaotic tumult of Istanbul, with stops along the way in Europe's most diverting and historic locales.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:04 -0400)

Bill Bryon backpacks across Europe, retracing the same steps he took 30 years earlier.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,168,863 books! | Top bar: Always visible